The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoyalMarine
only if there are children.If there are none I don't see the point of an herculean sacrifice just to claim I didn't divorce.Nobody really cares if I divorce or not

:lolwut:

I guess for you your love for the other person doesn't come into it
only if there are children.If there are none I don't see the point of an herculean sacrifice just to claim I didn't divorce.Nobody really cares if I divorce or not

That's your prerogative but not everyone thinks that way. Also it's nothing to do with the image as you are suggesting. It is actually an emotional upheaval for one or both parties involved. Seen enough of it. Hell I've contemplated it but the heartache is just not worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
:lolwut:

I guess for you your love for the other person doesn't come into it

if we don't like it anymore and we think we want to change something in our lives it's better for both of us.Why fake it?
I made here nice 'analyze', but point is :there is no universal rule. For someone 17 is OK for serious relationships, for other 47 still not. Again, this is very individual
I think relationships before the age of 25 should be illegal and people who committ to such filth should be arrested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
No idea why people are saying people who marry young are the most likely to get a divorce, at risk of being rude, I would say it is those who "try out different things" until around the age of 30, who then look to marry who make the worst relationship partners.

My partner and I have been together for almost five years - we met when I was 18.

During that time I've sat my A Levels, gained a degree, got a job, and he's achieved lots too although he's a little older than me so they're not the same type of things.

I love him, he loves me. We don't live together yet but spend most of our time together and I am at his flat for half of the time. We're like best friends, laugh all the time, support each other when things get tough. We have disagreements but always work them out quickly. We want the same things from life, have shared friends (but separate ones too) and get on well with each other's families.

Admittedly he was over 25 when we got together, but I was only just an adult.

Should I write off our relationship because I am not yet 25, and because he is my first proper boyfriend? Or should I take 5 years, good times, love and commitment as a good sign????
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

My partner and I have been together for almost five years - we met when I was 18.

During that time I've sat my A Levels, gained a degree, got a job, and he's achieved lots too although he's a little older than me so they're not the same type of things.

I love him, he loves me. We don't live together yet but spend most of our time together and I am at his flat for half of the time. We're like best friends, laugh all the time, support each other when things get tough. We have disagreements but always work them out quickly. We want the same things from life, have shared friends (but separate ones too) and get on well with each other's families.

Admittedly he was over 25 when we got together, but I was only just an adult.

Should I write off our relationship because I am not yet 25, and because he is my first proper boyfriend? Or should I take 5 years, good times, love and commitment as a good sign????

Out of curiosity... How old WAS your boyfriend when you got together?!
if we don't like it anymore and we think we want to change something in our lives it's better for both of us.Why fake it?

No one's saying stay together if you don't love eachother
No one's saying stay together if you don't love eachother

then what are you saying?This is the point of divorce

That relationships can work

Divorce can happen even if a couple is in love. That's when it's not easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meh, different things for different people.

I'm 19 and have been with my boyfriend for a little over four years, so evidently I will disagree with the statement.
People can be as quick to write off our relationship as they like, but we've survived two years of long-distance (after having had two years non long-distance), we are both at university getting degrees, and both have clear career aspirations. As someone else has already said, if you're with the right person, they won't hold you back. My boyfriend has been totally supportive of every single one of my decisions - and I hope he feels the same about me.

I am aware that "hold you back" is a subjective statement. For some, that might mean being tied down to someone when you want freedom. For me, it doesn't mean that in the slightest.

So really, it's pointless having discussions like this. Relationships can be meaningful, independent of age - but the age at which people are ready to commit to a long-term relationship is different from person to person.
That relationships can work

if it works it works,I don't see the point of sacrifices just to keep it up
Reply 94
I certainly agree with where the OP is coming from, though I wouldn't have said 25 tbh, I would have said more like 18/19, I wonder what percentage of teen relationships last for more than 5 years, or even 2 years for that matter, I'd guess at below 5%, relationships before 18 are certainly for the most part pointless.

Sacrifices don't just mean staying together if you don't love eachother.. :facepalm:

But relationships don't = sacrifices...

Yes, some do, and then it might not be the best idea to "keep it up" and stay with the person you're with, but some people are in relationships where they feel they're not sacrificing anything :confused:
Reply 97
Original post by Rump Steak
X

I'm inclined to disagree almost entirely, on the grounds that life is about enjoying the ride rather than reaching some kind of ultimate goal. That said, I do agree that too much emphasis is placed on people (not just young people) having relationships, or being expected to be seeking a partner if they're not.

I fell properly in love for the first time when I was 17. Years later, I'd still call it that. Though we had a horrendous break up and were really upset, I wouldn't change what happened for the world, as spending that period of my life with that person was amazing, and totally worth the pain at the end.

Other reasons why I don't think it's pointless:

- They can shape you as a person and you learn more about yourself by engaging with others.
- The sometimes childishness/awkwardness of relationships is not magically going to disappear when you turn 25, but having some experience might help alleviate it
- Some people mature faster than others; Some will never mature at all, and waiting won't change that
- Sometimes it's impossible to prevent developing feelings for someone. Trying to ignore or suppress that until an arbitrary age would probably be more harmful than persuing it and learning to deal with hurt.
- You said sex can be obtained by one-night-stands, which is true - But for most people *better* sex is going to be obtained by a relationship with someone who cares about doing it well for you
- Relationships aren't necessarily about finding one person and trying to be with them forever. A person can work for a period of time, whether it's a week or a year. The fact it doesn't last or have a future does not make it any less valid in terms of enjoyment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Out of curiosity... How old WAS your boyfriend when you got together?!

25, why?
Most relationships dont work. There isn't a set age where suddenly they all start working out. it depends on you and the other person thats it.

Latest

Trending

Trending