The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boab
You missed the point. I wasn't slating it. Midlander tried to insinuate Bannockburn live was anti-English by celebrating its anniversary. Trafalgar celebrations is just mere evidence that the English/British do it too!

Bannockburn live is anti-English, that surely isn't in dispute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8261
Original post by Midlander
You're in Dundee? Come over to Fife some time :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be an enthralling conversation......

yes

no

yes

no

YES

NO
Original post by Boab
Eh?

You said the commanders were loyal to England. William Wallace sure wasn't!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8263
Original post by MatureStudent36
You can try and dress culloden up however you wish.

But it was basically a nonce who thought he had a right to the throne.

History is so simple when you explain it!
Reply 8264
Bannockburn live is anti-English, that surely isn't in dispute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As anti-English as Trafalgar celebrations were anti-French or DDay celebrations are anti-German.
Reply 8265
You said the commanders were loyal to England. William Wallace sure wasn't!

Posted from TSR Mobile

On one side man, Jesus!
Original post by Boab
You consider a cartoon character to be Dundee's greatest icon? Well as cartoon characters go Dennis ain't even in the mix, it is Desperate Dan that has a statue on the High St and Oor Wullie is much more beloved around here.

He's on a bus and I don't recall the Dandy being printed.

Anyway that's like saying there's a Minnie the Minx statue, so therefore she's more iconic and well known than Dennis the Menace.

I am disappoint at the lack of Bananaman though, hopefully the film will do it justice. The style did inspire Burnt Face Man.
Another false stereotype.

But it's the only thing that we do go on about. Closest thing to Bannockburn.

It's because England on its own has been at war with many different countries whereas Scotland on its own was only at war with England and when the Irish invaded Pictland.
Reply 8268
Original post by Snagprophet
He's on a bus and I don't recall the Dandy being printed.

You don't recall the Dandy being printed?!!
There's lots of cartoon characters on Dundee buses.

Anyway that's like saying there's a Minnie the Minx statue, so therefore she's more iconic and well known than Dennis the Menace.

Desperate Dan was chosen ahead of Dennis for that statue. Simples!

I am disappoint at the lack of Bananaman though, hopefully the film will do it justice. The style did inspire Burnt Face Man.

As for Bananaman, I think we just try and ignore him.
Original post by Scotch Whiskey
I just want our country to be run by the people we vote for instead of the conservatives based in West Minster

Like who? The SNP? In 2011 more people voted specifically against the SNP than voted for them, yet we still have an SNP government. That is just how democracy works.

While you can justifiably criticise Westminister for being London centric, the Scottish Parliament is no different. As someone from the same part of the world as you (Johner) I don't see why a Central Belt-centric Scottish Government is any better for the North East than a London-centric UK Government.

and to shake up the inequality that is the distribution of wealth in the United Kingdom.

How exactly will Scotland voting to leave help make London more equal?

Wealth distribution across the UK is actually pretty good. This recent report by the University of Stirling shows that the UK is a much more equal country than we all think, the problem is that London and the South East are very unequal and skew the statistics for the rest of us. Scotland is more equal than Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and Ireland (among others). If you don't want the read the whole thing, the conclusion is on page 25. The report finishes with this:
University of Stirling
However, given that many of the drivers of inequality are linked to global trends in technology, trade, and family formation practices, there are likely to be limits to the extent that a small open economy can mitigate them. Scottish independence would provide opportunities, but it would also come with constraints.

Food for thought

Scotland is a wealthy nation but Scotland's wealth is being transferred to London and our economy is being held back. We generate 9.9% of tax in the United Kingdom but we only receive 9.3% of U.K total spending, so the idea that we are subsided by England is a fallacy.

It actually varies each year. For example, in FY 2012-2013, Scotland raised 9.1% (£53.1 Billion) of UK revenue, but spent 9.3% (£65.2 Billion). This gap in revenue vs spending was largely caused by a fall in the price of oil.

If we had been independent, that would have been a real issue as quite literally overnight we would have had to make cuts equivalent to our entire education budget.

As part of a large UK economy it isn't a problem. In the bad years we can get help from the rest of the UK and in good years we give help to other areas of the UK.

Furthermore, I'd challange the basis of your point; that we put in more than we get out and this is a bad thing. We pay in our taxes and while most of it comes back to us, some of our money is spent on helping particularly depressed areas of the UK or on funding national assets like our international embassy network.

If we follow your reasoning to it's logical conclusion, then you are arguing we should become like South Africa; A few small extremely wealthy fortified villages who pay for their own security and their own upkeep, surrounded by grinding poverty where people cannot afford anything.

I happen to think that redistributive taxation is a good thing.

This wealth can be put to better use an example is poverty, my family has been affected by this and I see others in Montrose that have/are suffered/ing in the same way. With a de-centralised government from west minster we can effectively tackle this and many more issues.

Since when did geographic proximity guarentee good government?

The statistics came from Business for Scotland.)

Business for Scotland is directed by a man called Ivan McKee. In his "30 year business career" Mr McKee has never run a successful business. Indeed, all three businesses he has previously run have gone into administration under his leadership.

I don't know about you, but if I needed advice, I wouldn't ask Mr McKee.

What are your reasons for voting no?

For me there are several reasons why I've decided that I'm against independence.

First, I really don't like the basic premise of the debate. The UK is a union that has done some terrible, but also some inspirational, things. It abolished slavery, it fought two world wars, it introduced parliamentary democracy and - although many do not know this - it developed ideas of social mobility and equality. We spend 200 years working together, but when we think we can use our natural resources to our advantage, we decide to unilaterally split off from the rest of the UK and go it alone so that we don't have to split the benefits? I don't know about you but I find that a totally morally vacuous argument.

Second, I find the idea that Scots are so different from the English, Welsh or Northern Irish that we couldn't possibly continue living together absolutely absurd. I often hear that England is moving to the right or, "going in a different direction to Scotland" and that may be true (although I don't think it is), however, it has no bearing on Scotland. This is for two reasons, firstly, we already have a devolved Scottish Parliament which means that any right-wing social policies would have to be introduced by MSPs in the Scottish Government. Secondly, the Government of the UK isn't elected on a England vs Scotland vs Wales vs Northern Ireland basis, it is elected through individual constituencies.

It is also worth pointing out that the United Kingdom is comprised of more than two countries. While large areas of England do vote Tory, Wales consistantly votes for Labour at every election. No government in the UK gets into office through the votes of one of the constituent nations alone - it has to be a pan-UK vote. The 2010 election was a bit of an irregularity in that although the Tories gained in Wales and England (they did better in Wales, up 4.7% compared to 3.9% in England), they only gained marginally in Scotland (0.9%). Even with that small increase, the Tories only polled 79,000 (or 3% of the electorate) fewer than the SNP did in the general election!

Third, I don't see how Scotland will be more independent than we are now. Upon independence Scotland's currency options would be to join the Euro, to convince the rest of the UK to create a monetary union with us, to use £Sterling without the consent of the rest of the UK or to create our own seperate currency. If we go for the Euro - which we may be oblidged to join when we join the EU - then our fiscal policy will be dictated by the European Central Bank. If we continue to use £Sterling as part of a monetary union then the Scottish Chancellor would have to submit his/her budgets to the Bank of England and we would have to adjust things like our interest rates to suit the larger partner (rUK). If we continue to use £Sterling without being in a monetary union then the Scottish Government would only be able to make marginal adjustments to things like tax and interest rates and our economy would be controlled by the Bank of England, although they wouldn't nessecarily act as our lender of last resort. The only way to have full fiscal control is by having an independent currency - something that would be hugely problematic to implement after 300 years of using £Sterling. None of those options seem to give us any real degree of independence in my view. As part of the UK we get to have our own independent currency that is recognised around the globe and which we can control through the Bank of England. Seems like a good deal to me.

Fourth, the UK has a large, diverse, stable economy which spreads risk. A smaller Scottish economy that would be overly dependent on a few areas like services and energy would be very vulnerable to shocks and would leave us exposed to the kind of issues we can see in small nations like Greece or Ireland. Being in the UK brings thousands of extra jobs to Scotland that wouldn't otherwise be here, for example, building and refitting warships for the Royal Navy. The UK has one of the world's largest defence budgets and big build projects like the T45, QE-Class Carriers and - in a couple of years - the T26 create and sustain jobs that are totally reliant on the UK. After being built these ships are constantly being refitted and upgraded in world-class facilities like Rosyth. It has been said that Scotland would continue to build warships for the UK but this simply is not true. There are shipyards in Glasgow, Barrow, Belfast, Appledore, Rosyth, Liverpool and Portsmouth that have built or refitted Royal Navy ships. Lets be honest, what politician would go to the House of Commons and say, "We'll shut the shipyards in Portsmouth and Appledore and we will build the ships abroad in Scotland". It would total career suicide. Plus, as far as I know the Royal Navy hasn't built a warship abroad since WW2 anyway; the MARS tankers being built in South Korea at the moment aren't warships and all the sensitive equipment will be fitted in the UK.

Fifth, being in the UK means that Scotland gets a genuine say in global affairs and rather than being dictated to by the bigger nations, we sit right at the top table making the decisions. For example, the UK is a permanant member of the UN Security Council, a Briton is the current EU Foreign Minister, recently a Scot was the NATO Secretary General and the UK is a key member of organisations ranging from the G8 to the WTO to the Commonwealth of Nations. The UK Diplomatic Service is one of the largest in the world. We have embassies in almost every country on earth. This means that a Scottish business can go anywhere in the world with the British Embassy providing vital local backing and knowledge that can open new doors. Not to mention the fact that they bail you out if your passport gets lost! Furthermore, the UK is ranked top in the global, "soft power" ratings. What this means is that brand 'UK' has more power globally than any other nation when it comes to fashion, music, films, TV programmes, cars etc. This matters because it means we get more tourists and we export more. More people see Britain and want British stuff thus boosting our economy. This is something that Scotland as part of the UK can - and does - tap into.

If its the debate about Europe, we are an already existing European Member for over 40 years and it should simple be a renegotiation.

No, the UK has been a member of the EU for over 40 years, not Scotland. That might mean nothing to you but it counts in international law.

The rest of the United Kingdom would have to re apply

The 1707 Acts of Union (England and Scotland) were superseded by the 1800 Acts of Union (Great Britain and Ireland). Legally speaking, we are not voting to annul the United Kingdom, we are voting to leave the United Kingdom. This means that the UK does not end if Scotland chooses leave, the UK is the successor state while Scotland is leaving to form a new country.

What ever the course of the independence we will still be building ships because we have the skills and technology to do so.

As I explained above, the rest of the UK also has the skills and technology.

Currently shipyards in Rosyth, Govan, Scotstoun, Hebburn, Middlesborough, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Falmouth, Appledore, Birkenhead, Barrow and Belfast are capable of shipbuilding, refitting and heavy fabrication.

You'll notice that 3 of those yards are in Scotland, 1 is in Northern Ireland and 8 are in England. After independence, why would an MP stand up in the House of Commons and say that the rUK Government is awarding large contracts to Scotland (a foreign country remember) at the expense of English and Northern Irish jobs?

It would be total career suicide. That is why it won't happen.

I suspect our shipbuilding industry would go the same way as the Irish one did. Currently the Irish Navy build their ships in the UK.

An example of a Royal Naval craft build abroad are the royal refueling tankers currently being built in South Korea costing £400 million , so if they can be built abroad why can't they be built here?

First, they are not Royal Navy ships. The oil tankers will not be owned by the Royal Navy, operated by the Royal Navy or crewed by naval personel. They are merchant ships and will have merchant crews.

Second, the last time an oil tanker was built in the UK was about 20 years ago. The skills do not exist here. If we had built them in the UK as well as paying the cost of the ships themselves, we would have needed to pay for all of the shipyard workers to be trained in oil tanker construction. At the moment the UK is cash strapped so the Government took the decision to build the basic ship in South Korea (who build hundreds of tankers each year) and all of the sensitive equipment will be fitted at UK shipyards (I think Cammell Laird has the contract).

It is one of the best examples of sensible government procurement I can think of.

Currently there are 28 members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation with only three members carrying nuclear deterrents, America, France and the U.K . The number of nuclear weapons in Europe under Americas sharing policy has decreased from 2400 to 400 because of Germanys stance against nuclear weapons, so this shows that in nato we can have a view that nuclear weapons should not be the last resort.

It is a requirement for all NATO countries to contribute to the defence of NATO nations, including facilitating the "nuclear umbrella". Furthermore, every country has to accept NATO's nuclear first-strike policy.

According to 'Yes Scotland' and the SNP, Scotland will have a written constitution that will forbid the use or deployment of nuclear weapons in Scottish territory.

The two simply do not add up.

( I would also like to refer, that when you turn 16 you can marry in Scotland and we can serve our country by joining the army

You can only serve in the army with the written consent of your parents. You are not deemed responsible enough to make the decision yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
But it's the only thing that we do go on about. Closest thing to Bannockburn.

It's because England on its own has been at war with many different countries whereas Scotland on its own was only at war with England and when the Irish invaded Pictland.

Our tabloid press does, nobody I know does. Scotland as part of the UK has been at war with a lot more countries than just 2...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8271
Our tabloid press does, nobody I know does. Scotland as part of the UK has been at war with a lot more countries than just 2...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The UK has been at war with a lot more countries than just two. Much much much more. In fact as war goes, we are pretty much world leaders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Great_Britain
Original post by flugelr
Like who? The SNP? In 2011 more people voted specifically against the SNP than voted for them, yet we still have an SNP government. That is just how democracy works.

While you can justifiably criticise Westminister for being London centric, the Scottish Parliament is no different. As someone from the same part of the world as you (Johner) I don't see why a Central Belt-centric Scottish Government is any better for the North East than a London-centric UK Government.

How exactly will Scotland voting to leave help make London more equal?

Wealth distribution across the UK is actually pretty good. This recent report by the University of Stirling shows that the UK is a much more equal country than we all think, the problem is that London and the South East are very unequal and skew the statistics for the rest of us. Scotland is more equal than Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and Ireland (among others). If you don't want the read the whole thing, the conclusion is on page 25. The report finishes with this:

Food for thought

It actually varies each year. For example, in FY 2012-2013, Scotland raised 9.1% (£53.1 Billion) of UK revenue, but spent 9.3% (£65.2 Billion). This gap in revenue vs spending was largely caused by a fall in the price of oil.

If we had been independent, that would have been a real issue as quite literally overnight we would have had to make cuts equivalent to our entire education budget.

As part of a large UK economy it isn't a problem. In the bad years we can get help from the rest of the UK and in good years we give help to other areas of the UK.

Furthermore, I'd challange the basis of your point; that we put in more than we get out and this is a bad thing. We pay in our taxes and while most of it comes back to us, some of our money is spent on helping particularly depressed areas of the UK or on funding national assets like our international embassy network.

If we follow your reasoning to it's logical conclusion, then you are arguing we should become like South Africa; A few small extremely wealthy fortified villages who pay for their own security and their own upkeep, surrounded by grinding poverty where people cannot afford anything.

I happen to think that redistributive taxation is a good thing.

Since when did geographic proximity guarentee good government?

Business for Scotland is directed by a man called Ivan McKee. In his "30 year business career" Mr McKee has never run a successful business. Indeed, all three businesses he has previously run have gone into administration under his leadership.

I don't know about you, but if I needed advice, I wouldn't ask Mr McKee.

For me there are several reasons why I've decided that I'm against independence.

First, I really don't like the basic premise of the debate. The UK is a union that has done some terrible, but also some inspirational, things. It abolished slavery, it fought two world wars, it introduced parliamentary democracy and - although many do not know this - it developed ideas of social mobility and equality. We spend 200 years working together, but when we think we can use our natural resources to our advantage, we decide to unilaterally split off from the rest of the UK and go it alone so that we don't have to split the benefits? I don't know about you but I find that a totally morally vacuous argument.

Second, I find the idea that Scots are so different from the English, Welsh or Northern Irish that we couldn't possibly continue living together absolutely absurd. I often hear that England is moving to the right or, "going in a different direction to Scotland" and that may be true (although I don't think it is), however, it has no bearing on Scotland. This is for two reasons, firstly, we already have a devolved Scottish Parliament which means that any right-wing social policies would have to be introduced by MSPs in the Scottish Government. Secondly, the Government of the UK isn't elected on a England vs Scotland vs Wales vs Northern Ireland basis, it is elected through individual constituencies.

It is also worth pointing out that the United Kingdom is comprised of more than two countries. While large areas of England do vote Tory, Wales consistantly votes for Labour at every election. No government in the UK gets into office through the votes of one of the constituent nations alone - it has to be a pan-UK vote. The 2010 election was a bit of an irregularity in that although the Tories gained in Wales and England (they did better in Wales, up 4.7% compared to 3.9% in England), they only gained marginally in Scotland (0.9%). Even with that small increase, the Tories only polled 79,000 (or 3% of the electorate) fewer than the SNP did in the general election!

Third, I don't see how Scotland will be more independent than we are now. Upon independence Scotland's currency options would be to join the Euro, to convince the rest of the UK to create a monetary union with us, to use £Sterling without the consent of the rest of the UK or to create our own seperate currency. If we go for the Euro - which we may be oblidged to join when we join the EU - then our fiscal policy will be dictated by the European Central Bank. If we continue to use £Sterling as part of a monetary union then the Scottish Chancellor would have to submit his/her budgets to the Bank of England and we would have to adjust things like our interest rates to suit the larger partner (rUK). If we continue to use £Sterling without being in a monetary union then the Scottish Government would only be able to make marginal adjustments to things like tax and interest rates and our economy would be controlled by the Bank of England, although they wouldn't nessecarily act as our lender of last resort. The only way to have full fiscal control is by having an independent currency - something that would be hugely problematic to implement after 300 years of using £Sterling. None of those options seem to give us any real degree of independence in my view. As part of the UK we get to have our own independent currency that is recognised around the globe and which we can control through the Bank of England. Seems like a good deal to me.

Fourth, the UK has a large, diverse, stable economy which spreads risk. A smaller Scottish economy that would be overly dependent on a few areas like services and energy would be very vulnerable to shocks and would leave us exposed to the kind of issues we can see in small nations like Greece or Ireland. Being in the UK brings thousands of extra jobs to Scotland that wouldn't otherwise be here, for example, building and refitting warships for the Royal Navy. The UK has one of the world's largest defence budgets and big build projects like the T45, QE-Class Carriers and - in a couple of years - the T26 create and sustain jobs that are totally reliant on the UK. After being built these ships are constantly being refitted and upgraded in world-class facilities like Rosyth. It has been said that Scotland would continue to build warships for the UK but this simply is not true. There are shipyards in Glasgow, Barrow, Belfast, Appledore, Rosyth, Liverpool and Portsmouth that have built or refitted Royal Navy ships. Lets be honest, what politician would go to the House of Commons and say, "We'll shut the shipyards in Portsmouth and Appledore and we will build the ships abroad in Scotland". It would total career suicide. Plus, as far as I know the Royal Navy hasn't built a warship abroad since WW2 anyway; the MARS tankers being built in South Korea at the moment aren't warships and all the sensitive equipment will be fitted in the UK.

Fifth, being in the UK means that Scotland gets a genuine say in global affairs and rather than being dictated to by the bigger nations, we sit right at the top table making the decisions. For example, the UK is a permanant member of the UN Security Council, a Briton is the current EU Foreign Minister, recently a Scot was the NATO Secretary General and the UK is a key member of organisations ranging from the G8 to the WTO to the Commonwealth of Nations. The UK Diplomatic Service is one of the largest in the world. We have embassies in almost every country on earth. This means that a Scottish business can go anywhere in the world with the British Embassy providing vital local backing and knowledge that can open new doors. Not to mention the fact that they bail you out if your passport gets lost! Furthermore, the UK is ranked top in the global, "soft power" ratings. What this means is that brand 'UK' has more power globally than any other nation when it comes to fashion, music, films, TV programmes, cars etc. This matters because it means we get more tourists and we export more. More people see Britain and want British stuff thus boosting our economy. This is something that Scotland as part of the UK can - and does - tap into.

No, the UK has been a member of the EU for over 40 years, not Scotland. That might mean nothing to you but it counts in international law.

The 1707 Acts of Union (England and Scotland) were superseded by the 1800 Acts of Union (Great Britain and Ireland). Legally speaking, we are not voting to annul the United Kingdom, we are voting to leave the United Kingdom. This means that the UK does not end if Scotland chooses leave, the UK is the successor state while Scotland is leaving to form a new country.

As I explained above, the rest of the UK also has the skills and technology.

Currently shipyards in Rosyth, Govan, Scotstoun, Hebburn, Middlesborough, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Falmouth, Appledore, Birkenhead, Barrow and Belfast are capable of shipbuilding, refitting and heavy fabrication.

You'll notice that 3 of those yards are in Scotland, 1 is in Northern Ireland and 8 are in England. After independence, why would an MP stand up in the House of Commons and say that the rUK Government is awarding large contracts to Scotland (a foreign country remember) at the expense of English and Northern Irish jobs?

It would be total career suicide. That is why it won't happen.

I suspect our shipbuilding industry would go the same way as the Irish one did. Currently the Irish Navy build their ships in the UK.

First, they are not Royal Navy ships. The oil tankers will not be owned by the Royal Navy, operated by the Royal Navy or crewed by naval personel. They are merchant ships and will have merchant crews.

Second, the last time an oil tanker was built in the UK was about 20 years ago. The skills do not exist here. If we had built them in the UK as well as paying the cost of the ships themselves, we would have needed to pay for all of the shipyard workers to be trained in oil tanker construction. At the moment the UK is cash strapped so the Government took the decision to build the basic ship in South Korea (who build hundreds of tankers each year) and all of the sensitive equipment will be fitted at UK shipyards (I think Cammell Laird has the contract).

It is one of the best examples of sensible government procurement I can think of.

It is a requirement for all NATO countries to contribute to the defence of NATO nations, including facilitating the "nuclear umbrella". Furthermore, every country has to accept NATO's nuclear first-strike policy.

According to 'Yes Scotland' and the SNP, Scotland will have a written constitution that will forbid the use or deployment of nuclear weapons in Scottish territory.

The two simply do not add up.

You can only serve in the army with the written consent of your parents. You are not deemed responsible enough to make the decision yourself.

On the first part, a country where 1 in 4 children live in poverty, and the 5 wealthiest families own more than the poorest 5 million is not equal. The wealth distribution is clearly not as fair as it could and should be.

The Scottish parliament's makeup in itself is produces a more equal system. Each region has a representative 7 MSPs and one for each constituency. It produces significantly better representation and thus wouldn't lead to a central belt centric parliament. However, I would like to see powers decentralised; decisions are best taken at the most local level.

The mention of South Africa is ludicrous and the point is moot. You know that's not at all what we advocate.

If you want to belittle the referendum to one man, should I vote no because Gordon Brown supports a no vote - a man that oversaw the financial crash? Of course not. It is ridiculous to whittle this debate down to one man's business credentials.

Now to deal with each point individually.

1) If it ain't broke don't fix it, famous words. If it worked I wouldn't want to fix it, but I believe that maintaining the status quo is not right for the people of Scotland. We are enduring policies that we didn't vote for, and despite past successes of the Union, we need to look at the current proposition and see if it's working for us. You mentioned business, if you were a partner in a business that was successful 50 years ago, but was failing now, would you still stick? I know I wouldn't...

2) The Scottish parliament only deals with devolved issues. Currently we see Scottish MPs effecting no change at Westminster. They voted against the bedroom tax, trident, Iraq war, privatisation of the Royal Mail, increase on VAT but that all happened anyway. Scotland has little to no say in reserved matters.

The Tories have one MP in Scotland that point is null and void. If we were dealing in a PR system, the point would hold some substance, but we're not and it doesn't. One out of 59 and that party governs.
Seems awfully fair to me.

3) I'm not an economist, but economists have recommended a currency union as the best deal for Scotland. I cannot remember the full details, but a country can only control 2 of the 3 monetary levers; exchange rate, interest rates and another. Seeing as
Scotland would want to be on a par with the UK, and indeed with Europe, not having control over one of the levers would be the same with our own currency and thus is no more independent than a currency union.

4) It should be noted that Scotland too has a strong and diverse economy; recent reports - such as the GERS report - suggested that our finances are stronger than the UK's. Standard and Poor said that we would get a AAA credit rating. Greece didn't collect taxes, and Ireland had an IT based economy that collapsed when the housing market collapsed. Scotland's dynamic is different to both countries. It's worth remembering that the UK has slashed defence jobs in Scotland and that an independent Scotland would be able to offer our shipyards to the world. It doesn't have to be warships for the UK. A Scottish Navy, cruise liners, other vessels, there's huge scope.

5) Scotland is underrepresented at the top table with the lack of its own seat. For years, the UK has failed to stand up properly for Scotland's fishing and agriculture industries. Scotland needs it's own voice to stand up for itself. Scotland's capacity for renewable energy would also make it a vital asset to the EU, perhaps furthering the say that Scotland would have. Scotland currently has 6 MEPs, Luxembourg has more. Scotland may have a smaller voice than the UK, but it would be its own voice.

On the NATO point, there's nothing that states that NATO members must contribute to the nuclear weapons held by three countries. Only 8 out of NATO's 28 members are involved in the nuclear sharing programme; 20 are not. Scotland would be the 21st. Any conflict entered into has to be accepted by the Scottish parliament, as Libya would have been and Iraq wouldn't have been. It's quite simple really. Scotland doesn't need to have WMDs on its soil as a member of NATO, and thus the constitution isn't contradictory. Please feel free to retort, I've done my best to address the points raised.
On the first part, a country where 1 in 4 children live in poverty, and the 5 wealthiest families own more than the poorest 5 million is not equal. The wealth distribution is clearly not as fair as it could and should be.

The Scottish parliament's makeup in itself is produces a more equal system. Each region has a representative 7 MSPs and one for each constituency. It produces significantly better representation and thus wouldn't lead to a central belt centric parliament. However, I would like to see powers decentralised; decisions are best taken at the most local level.

The mention of South Africa is ludicrous and the point is moot. You know that's not at all what we advocate.

If you want to belittle the referendum to one man, should I vote no because Gordon Brown supports a no vote - a man that oversaw the financial crash? Of course not. It is ridiculous to whittle this debate down to one man's business credentials.

Now to deal with each point individually.

1) If it ain't broke don't fix it, famous words. If it worked I wouldn't want to fix it, but I believe that maintaining the status quo is not right for the people of Scotland. We are enduring policies that we didn't vote for, and despite past successes of the Union, we need to look at the current proposition and see if it's working for us. You mentioned business, if you were a partner in a business that was successful 50 years ago, but was failing now, would you still stick? I know I wouldn't...

2) The Scottish parliament only deals with devolved issues. Currently we see Scottish MPs effecting no change at Westminster. They voted against the bedroom tax, trident, Iraq war, privatisation of the Royal Mail, increase on VAT but that all happened anyway. Scotland has little to no say in reserved matters.

The Tories have one MP in Scotland that point is null and void. If we were dealing in a PR system, the point would hold some substance, but we're not and it doesn't. One out of 59 and that party governs.

3) I'm not an economist, but economists have recommended a currency union as the best deal for Scotland. I cannot remember the full details, but a country can only control 2 of the 3 monetary levers; exchange rate, interest rates and another. Seeing as
Scotland would want to be on a par with the UK, and indeed with Europe, not having control over one of the levers would be the same with our own currency and thus is no more independent than a currency union.

4) It should be noted that Scotland too has a strong and diverse economy; recent reports - such as the GERS report - suggested that our finances are stronger than the UK's. Standard and Poor said that we would get a AAA credit rating. Greece didn't collect taxes, and Ireland had an IT based economy that collapsed when the housing market collapsed. Scotland's dynamic is different to both countries. It's worth remembering that the UK has slashed defence jobs in Scotland and that an independent Scotland would be able to offer our shipyards to the world. It doesn't have to be warships for the UK. A Scottish Navy, cruise liners, other vessels, there's huge scope.

5) Scotland is underrepresented at the top table with the lack of its own seat. For years, the UK has failed to stand up properly for Scotland's fishing and agriculture industries. Scotland needs it's own voice to stand up for itself. Scotland's capacity for renewable energy would also make it a vital asset to the EU, perhaps furthering the say that Scotland would have. Scotland currently has 6 MEPs, Luxembourg has more. Scotland may have a smaller voice than the UK, but it would be its own voice.

On the NATO point, there's nothing that states that NATO members must contribute to the nuclear weapons held by three countries. Only 8 out of NATO's 28 members are involved in the nuclear sharing programme; 20 are not. Scotland would be the 21st. Any conflict entered into has to be accepted by the Scottish parliament, as Libya would have been and Iraq wouldn't have been. It's quite simple really. Scotland doesn't need to have WMDs on its soil as a member of NATO, and thus the constitution isn't contradictory. Please feel free to retort, I've done my best to address the points raised.

Firstly, the SNP only returned 6 MPs out of 59. Irrespective of that every MP gets a vote in Westminster. I'd like to know how being part of the 6th largest global economy, the fastest growing economy in the developed world and on track to be the largest economy in Europe by 2025 is broken.

Your second point about Iraq is sheer fantasy. You may have forgotten that it was labour under a Scottish born PM, Scottish Chancellor and overly Scottish represented cabinet that took us into Iraq. So upset were the people if Scotland with that decision, we overwhelmingly voted them back in.

Selected economists have said a currency union would be good fir Scotland. Selected economists also advised Salmond that the £ was a millstone around Scotland's neck and we should adopt the €. The same selected economists can say what they like about a currency union. The simple fact is that the major partner of any currency union has said that its not happening. This is also backed up by the electorate they repreSent. That deal is therefore a non starter. That's also completely ignoring the obvious fact that entry into the EU requires the adoption of the €. So we'll end up with a currency union. The currency union that the SNP originally wanted.

You may want to read the actual Standard and Poor report. At no point whatsoever does it state that I Scotland would have a AAA rating. That little bit of bull S*** was pushed out by an SNP backed website.

I'm glad you've finally acknowledged that there's a nuclear sharing programme and several non nuclear NATO member nations are happy to deliver some instant sunshine on NATOs behalf. The others don't need to have nuclear sharing. There's a whole host of technical, financial and political reasons for that. The main political reason is storing tactical nukes in a former Warsaw Pact nation would be seen provocative to Russia. Remember Russia? The now peaceful nation that's just annexed part of the Ukraine and has just reminded everybody that the Cold War never really went away.

If you're a NATO member state and NATO does a job. You'll tend to find that your sort of obliged to go. You'd be amazed about how active the Norwegians were in Libya. I guess they used the oil fund to finance the amount of ordinance they dropped in Libya. Then again, I have no problem with NATOs involvement in Libya. I see it as payback for Lockerbie.thats here in Scotland.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boab
The UK has been at war with a lot more countries than just two. Much much much more. In fact as war goes, we are pretty much world leaders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Great_Britain

Yes, and what is Scotland presently part of? We have Scotsman Tony Blair to thank for a couple...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course more needs to be done, but I cannot see why we must therefore split from the rest of the UK.

While PR is all well and good the fact remains; the majority of the Scottish electorate did not vote for the SNP. Your reasoning does not stand up.

Furthermore, just look at the situation at the moment for proof that a Scottish Government would be Central Belt-centric. Councils like Aberdeen loose out on funding when compared to councils in the Central Belt (this is why councils including Aberdeen and Dumfries & Galloway are looking to leave COSLA). We have seen disproportionate cuts to emergency services in the North East, Borders and Highlands with everything now centralised in the Central Belt. How much more proof do you need?

Why is it ludicrous?

You say that it is unfair Scotland doesn't get to keep all of the money it generates. The logical conclusion of that argument is that money should only be spent where money is earnt.

You said you got statistics from 'Business for Scotland'. I'm pointing out that BfS isn't a good place to get statistics from.

We are the fastest growing economy in Europe, unemployment is going down and we have one of the world's highest standards of living.

As I said before, more can always be done, but we seem to be doing pretty well.

2) The Scottish parliament only deals with devolved issues. Currently we see Scottish MPs effecting no change at Westminster.

Without Scottish MPs the British Parliament would have voted in favour of military action in Syria. Perhaps that one passed you by, but it seemed pretty big to me.

They voted against the bedroom tax, trident, Iraq war, privatisation of the Royal Mail, increase on VAT but that all happened anyway. Scotland has little to no say in reserved matters.

Do you have a source for all those? Given that Labour took us into Iraq and Scottish MPs made up a significant cohort of the Labour Government, I'd imagine plently of Scottish MPs voted in favour of military action.

The Tories have one MP in Scotland that point is null and void. If we were dealing in a PR system, the point would hold some substance, but we're not and it doesn't.

Interestingly the Tories have 1 MP in Scotland, but the SNP - who had almost the exact same number of votes as the Tories at the last election - have 6 MPs.

If Westminister had PR there would be significantly more Scottish Tory MPs than there are now!

One out of 59 and that party governs.

Actually it is 12 out of 59 (we have a coalition Government remember). I agree that isn't the best, but as I've said before that is how democracy works.

Do you think that in an independent Scotland Caithness and Govan would suddenly share voting patterns? No, of course not. Whether our country is the UK, Scotland or an independent Aberdeenshire, there will always be areas who don't get the Government that they want.

3) I'm not an economist, but economists have recommended a currency union as the best deal for Scotland. I cannot remember the full details, but a country can only control 2 of the 3 monetary levers; exchange rate, interest rates and another. Seeing as Scotland would want to be on a par with the UK, and indeed with Europe, not having control over one of the levers would be the same with our own currency and thus is no more independent than a currency union.

While it would certainly be in Scotland's best interests to have a currency union, this would not be in rUK's best interests. It would involve the rUK economy taking on a significant level of financial risk and the possibility of heavy budgetry constraints for the rUK Government yet there would be very little benefit for rUK.

Professors James Crawford and Alan Boyle set out this position in their paper. It has yet to be challanged by the Scottish Government. Their position was backed up by Professor Adam Tomkins (University of Glasgow), Professor Kenneth Armstrong (University of Cambridge) and Professor Iain McLean (University of Oxford).

As for an informal currency union, this would leave us a puppy on a lead. We would loose our financial industries (no central bank), we would have to buy in all of our currency (thereby being in the ironic position of becoming independent and loosing the ability to print Scottish banknotes) and the Scottish Government would have no control over crucial economic levers like interest rates.

Personally, I've always wondered why people are so keen on a currency union. As Mark Carney, Govenor of the Bank of England, pointed out in his speech given a few months ago,
Mr Carney
In short, a durable, successful currency union requires some ceding of national sovereignty.

Why bother with independence at all if our plan is to go straight back into a fiscal and political union?

4) It should be noted that Scotland too has a strong and diverse economy; recent reports - such as the GERS report - suggested that our finances are stronger than the UK's. Standard and Poor said that we would get a AAA credit rating.

That isn't what Standard & Poor's said. They actually said that Scotland would struggle to match the UK’s AAA credit rating.

It's worth remembering that the UK has slashed defence jobs in Scotland

Pretty much every country in the developed world has cut defence since 2008. It hardly constitutes an argument to leave the UK.

an independent Scotland would be able to offer our shipyards to the world.

We already do that. However, export orders cannot sustain the number of shipyard jobs in Scotland at the moment. No country has managed to have an entirely export-orientated naval shipyard, they all rely on a base level of domestic contracts.

It doesn't have to be warships for the UK. A Scottish Navy, cruise liners, other vessels, there's huge scope.

With the greatest respect, I suggest that you do some research on the modern shipbuilding industry. There is really only one facility (possibly two) in Scotland that could even consider building modern cruise ships (the only really viable way for a commerical merchant yard to make money). We would need to invest hundreds of millions to get facilities in Scotland up to scratch.

The simple fact is that labour in the UK is very expensive and ship-building is very labour intensive.

5) Scotland is underrepresented at the top table with the lack of its own seat. For years, the UK has failed to stand up properly for Scotland's fishing and agriculture industries.

Only recently the UK pressured the EU to ban herring and mackerel imports from the Faroe Islands, which were unsustainable and having a hugely negative effect on the Scottish fishing industry. This safeguarded the livelihoods of thousands of people in the North East and Islands of Scotland who work in the pelagic fleet.

The EU is really the problem for fishing and farming, yet Yes supporters like yourself seem determinded to stay in the EU. The SNP have shown that they don't care about the fishing industry, which is why they've lost so much ground in constituencies like Banff & Buchan.

Scotland currently has 6 MEPs, Luxembourg has more.

That is false. Scotland and Luxembourg both have 6 MEPs. The UK as a whole has 72 MEPs, that gives us a lot of voting power.

Scotland may have a smaller voice than the UK, but it would be its own voice.

A voice that could be easily ignored like all the other small EU nations. The UK dictates international policy, an independent Scotland would be dictated to by others.

On the NATO point, there's nothing that states that NATO members must contribute to the nuclear weapons held by three countries. Only 8 out of NATO's 28 members are involved in the nuclear sharing programme; 20 are not. Scotland would be the 21st.

All of them must consent to allowing nuclear submarines and ships in their waters and to dock in their ports.

Any conflict entered into has to be accepted by the Scottish parliament, as Libya would have been and Iraq wouldn't have been.

I'm not sure if that is true. When the US invoked Article 5 everyone got involved. Every single member of NATO deployed troops to Afghanistan and later most went to Iraq.

I don't see why we would have been any different.

Scotland doesn't need to have WMDs on its soil as a member of NATO, and thus the constitution isn't contradictory.

If a US Air Force bomber with nuclear bombs asked to refuel in Scotland, we would be oblidged to accept.

Please feel free to retort, I've done my best to address the points raised.

Frankly, all the evidence we've seen so far suggests that if we go independent we will not even have control over our currency. It seems to me that a Yes vote would leave us tied up on a rope, but allow us to wave a flag (which we already can wave).

I just don't see the point.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8276
Original post by JamesyC
I don't know enough (or really care) about other referendum campaigns to begin doing that. I'm stating my own perceptions as an outsider. Maybe you could help me?

The point I'm making is that Better Together, even going by the name alone, would be expected to put a positive spin on the benefits of the UK.

The thing is, you can be as positive as you like - and those who perceive it otherwise will see it as negativity. I can say "because of x, we would be better off in the UK". The nationalists then say "he is threatening to withhold x from us; it is ludicrous to say we cannot have x - we are good enough to have x, and he's talking us down".

While there is an inherent negativity in opposing a proposition, I don't think necessarily the pro-union campaign has to fit itself into that box. The point, perhaps, that I'll make is that the suggestion the Better Together campaign is negative is simply a fairly successful line pushed by Yes Scotland, when in fact they're just as bad - if not worse - in that.

It's a straightforward example of 'say it enough, and people will believe it'.

So far Better Together has focused on tit-for-tat headlines on economics, but nationalists and some nationalist-inclined fence-sitters will look at other aspects of nationhood as well - cultural, historical, perceptions of injustice, lack of 'democratic' input (if you want to call it that). Better Together hasn't done this in any real way.

The problem with that logic is that people who buy into the nationalist narrative of oppression, that they are somehow being deprived democracy or that cultural nationalism is positive are already going to vote for them. Equally people who are inspired by calls to British patriotism, unity, anti-nationalist politics and so forth are all going to be voting to keep the UK.

It is the middle ground that they're fighting over. The people who chiefly care about stability, the pound in their pocket and whether or not things will go on much as before.
Reply 8277
This is not out of Nationalism/Patriotism for Scotland but I am voting Yes in September. I just want our country to be run by the people we vote for instead of the conservatives based in West Minster

That's pure nationalism. "I don't want to share a democracy with anyone outside my nation".

and to shake up the inequality that is the distribution of wealth in the United Kingdom.

As it happens, in terms of wealth, the UK is more equal than most developed countries. More equal than France, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Sweden...

The nationalists typically challenge on inequality of incomes, but that's a different matter.

Scotland is a wealthy nation but Scotland's wealth is being transferred to London and our economy is being held back. We generate 9.9% of tax in the United Kingdom but we only receive 9.3% of U.K total spending, so the idea that we are subsided by England is a fallacy.

That's simply not true. The figures are 9.1% of revenue versus 9.3% of spending in the latest figures - a gap (if you want to call it a "subsidy", fine) that is set to get larger.

Even when it was 9.8% vs 9.3%, it is an utter falsehood to suggest it was getting 'transferred' anywhere. Because 9.3% of spending was a larger figure than the 9.8% of revenue: over £7bn more, actually. Scotland was running a considerable deficit at that point - not only was it getting back every penny it raised in tax, it was getting billions upon billions more.

With a de-centralised government from west minster we can effectively tackle this and many more issues. Poverty is not been helped with out of touch conservative policy's e.g. The poll tax, the bed room tax and cutting high rate earners tax which further damages social mobility.

Funny then how the number of people in poverty in Scotland actually decreased by 20,000 last year then, isn't it? That's Scottish Government figures there, reflecting a reduction that occurred UK-wide.

The poll tax was abolished in 1993. There are people on this forum who weren't even born then.

How does reducing the 50p rate of income tax to 45p - more than it was for almost all of the last government's period in office - harming social mobility? It isn't even reducing the amount we receive in tax: the sum we take in from higher-rate earners has actually increased since the rate was dropped.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8278
Original post by L i b
Funny then how the number of people in poverty in Scotland actually decreased by 20,000 last year then, isn't it? That's Scottish Government figures there, reflecting a reduction that occurred UK-wide.

Do figures like that reflect reality?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/worry-as-foodbank-demand-increases-by-400-across-scotland-1.321756

People are coming out of poverty but resorting to food banks. It is a funny old world.
Reply 8279

Simply not true again. To quote the latest report on poverty and income distribution by Scotland's chief statistician--

"The percentage of children living in relative poverty fell from 17 per cent to 15 per cent between 2010/11 and 2011/12, which represents a reduction of 20 thousand children from 170 thousand children to 150 thousand children"

He then noted--

"This follows a decrease in the number of children living in relative poverty in 2010/11, with little change in the 6 year period prior to that."

That's too many, perhaps, but It's a damn-sight less than 1 in 4, and it's certainly headed the right way. But this is, of course, relative poverty: there will always be people in relative poverty in a liberal society, regardless of how high their living standards are.

"Scotland" has zero say on anything, because it is individual MPs representing individual voters who decide. Scottish people have just as much democratic say as anyone else in the UK. That means sometimes being in the minority.

And Scottish MPs didn't vote against the Iraq war. The voted for it more enthusiastically than the rest of the UK.

4) It should be noted that Scotland too has a strong and diverse economy; recent reports - such as the GERS report - suggested that our finances are stronger than the UK's. Standard and Poor said that we would get a AAA credit rating.

Simply false. The Standard and Poor's report said an independent Scotland would probably get something about a BBB- credit rating. It certainly said nothing about getting AAA.

an independent Scotland would be able to offer our shipyards to the world. It doesn't have to be warships for the UK. A Scottish Navy, cruise liners, other vessels, there's huge scope.

Scottish shipyards are already diversifying and already take work from across the world, so that potential is already being met. As for a Scottish navy - the Clyde has expertise in producing complex warships. The SNP is not proposing a Scottish navy build anything like that, instead relying on a few marine patrol vessels.

Latest

Trending

Trending