The Student Room Group

how to prepare for A levels?

Is there any way I should prepare for A levels? I am at the end of year 11 and the a levels I have picked are maths (with statistics - edexcel), sociology (aqa), English literature (aqa) and biology (aqa) and I am very determined to do well in my a levels so are there any resources or websites that would be helpful for preparing for these a levels? Is the website my-alevelbiology any good?
Also, any information on what the subjects I have picked are like would be really appreciated.:smile:
Reply 1
My school gave us all bridging work to do over the summer, may be worth asking if your school/college do that.

I did maths (but on AQA) and was told mainly to practise algebra and solving equations etc. What I would advise for English Lit is tostart you Wider Reading sooner rather than later. If you find out what you're studying for Eng Lit (we did the Victorian Literature module) then start finding some novels/plays/poems for that to start reading and pick out some useful quotes. I managed to read about 6 books over the summer which was greaet because there's a lot of work to go with A levels and reading time during term isn't always easy to come by. Also for Eng Lit have a look in charity shops for books because they're really cheap and usually decent quality and you can annotate them, which you can't do with library books.
Reply 2
Original post by elliekelly
Is there any way I should prepare for A levels? I am at the end of year 11 and the a levels I have picked are maths (with statistics - edexcel), sociology (aqa), English literature (aqa) and biology (aqa) and I am very determined to do well in my a levels so are there any resources or websites that would be helpful for preparing for these a levels? Is the website my-alevelbiology any good?
Also, any information on what the subjects I have picked are like would be really appreciated.:smile:

For maths in particular it's important that you are completely comfortable with the basics - especially indices, algebra and trigonometry. You don't have to practise obsessively, but make sure you re-read any notes or revision guides you have before returning to school after the holidays, and do a few random questions to make sure you haven't forgotten anything (some people seem to forget how to do Primary School things like fractions during the summer holidays, so don't neglect the basics!)
make sure your algebraic manipulation is in tip top shape and that'll make everything a lot easier. Don't bother getting ahead in the syllabus or you'll get bored when it comes to studying which will end up with you not being motivated.
Well for maths you can go ahead and buy the textbook and start working through it if you want to be a nerd.

Would say the same for Biology as well. You need to be able to remember a lot of facts.

Quick Reply

Latest