The Student Room Group

gcse maths resit

The course i want to do at university requires a grade B in gcse maths .I have not done maths since last 2 years and now i have 1 month and 15 days till my maths exam.What should i do? how should i revise ? is it possible to get a B or is it too late
currently I'm revising 8 hours a day for alevels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Haniya223
The course i want to do at university requires a grade B in gcse maths .I have not done maths since last 2 years and now i have 1 month and 15 days till my maths exam.What should i do? how should i revise ? is it possible to get a B or is it too late

Videos
Reply 2
videos?
Reply 3
videos?

what exam board? if edexcel, just do my maths
Reply 4
yes its edexcel
B is a piece of cake
Reply 6
i have 1 month and 15 days till my maths exam.What should i do? how should i revise ? is it possible to get a B or is it too late currently I'm revising 8 hours a day for alevels

Firstly, attempt to focus some of those hours on GCSE Mathematics. 8 hours is quite a long time, but it's essential that you're to give Mathematics some attention - are you spending these 8 hours revising with breaks or without? It's already been proven by psychologists (and some neurologists) that the brain stops taking in information after a specific amount of time and needs a break. For example: 25 minutes revising, 5 minutes break, is advisable for the majority of students or even workers. If you're doing this, there's no reason why you can't get a B in Mathematics. After all, it's only about 60% or less for a B usually.

As stated by the others, MyMaths covers pretty much all of the syllabus. If you're not someone who likes to learn through that sort of method, go check out videos on Youtube (as stated by the others), I find that this guy is pretty good for a few things.
(https://www.youtube.com/user/HEGARTYMATHS)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
the thing is that i have not done any maths since last 2 years, I'm in my final year of college.shall i spend 2 hours daily for maths revision?
Reply 8
i have not done any maths since last 2 years

So? If you spend at least 2-3 hours a day on Mymaths, Hegartymaths and attempting past papers, I'm almost certain you'll get the B grade required. As I said: a B grade is 60% or lower, this means you must get about 50-55 marks on each paper that is relatively easy in comparison to wanting an A or an A* on your Mathematics grades. Lastly, your knowledge of the Mathematics will be fresh as you would have recently done the revision, this is an additional bonus.

Also, I cannot stress this enough - make sure to take breaks every 25-30 minutes and go over foot notes! You'll not forget the information, but it will become less clear and you have a chance of losing marks on silly mistakes.
Reply 9
i do 4 hours in the morning 8am till 12 pm with 10 minutes break after each hour, 12 till 6pm i'm free so will do 2 hours maths revision from today. around 8pm i will start studying again till 12am :smile:
thanks for the advice x
Reply 10
thanks for the advice x

No worries. Good luck!
I thought you had to go six form to do a levels :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by fifasweatyplayer

Who told you that? College's also do A-levels.
Original post by Magistl
So? If you spend at least 2-3 hours a day on Mymaths, Hegartymaths and attempting past papers, I'm almost certain you'll get the B grade required. As I said: a B grade is 60% or lower, this means you must get about 50-55 marks on each paper that is relatively easy in comparison to wanting an A or an A* on your Mathematics grades. Lastly, your knowledge of the Mathematics will be fresh as you would have recently done the revision, this is an additional bonus.

Also, I cannot stress this enough - make sure to take breaks every 25-30 minutes and go over foot notes! You'll not forget the information, but it will become less clear and you have a chance of losing marks on silly mistakes.

That's loads of revision to get a b, a b is very easy:wink:
Original post by Magistl
Who told you that? College's also do A-levels.

People at year 11 where saying at my school
Reply 15
ConquerMaths.com. I was in the same situation. Nailed it and revised the whole content in less than a month. Got the required grade + Got into my desired university.
Reply 16
That's loads of revision to get a b, a b is very easy:wink:

It never hurts to be that one step ahead :P Maybe I did give them too much, who knows?

People at year 11 where saying at my school

Sixth Form does A-levels likewise with College's. There's an ongoing rumour that one's A-levels is better than the others, it's more of a personal choice imo. I want to go to College to be around those of my age, some want to stay and try sixth form just because they enjoy their school/teachers.
Reply 17
Original post by Lovedealer
ConquerMaths.com. I was in the same situation. Nailed it and revised the whole content in less than a month. Got the required grade + Got into my desired university.

That means it is possible to get a B whoo :tongue: anyway thanks
Reply 18

no u dont u can also give exams as a private candidate :smile:

My best advice for you is to Go on mathswach online(a online web that teaches you maths from grades a*-c for higher) or purchasing the cd online if you have not got an account to access it before approaching any past papers. This will reasure you what you want.Of course you can use revision guides and watch online tutorials which are similar to mathswatch vle.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest