The Student Room Group

Do we still need religious schools?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donutaud15
Religious indoctrination shouldn't exist in schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup.
Original post by Blueray2
Religious or not, if the school gets good results don't remove it.

How do you know if removing religiousity the school would not perform even better?

Keep in mind christian schools tend to be more selective of their students so they weren't on equal footing.
Original post by clh_hilary
How do you know if removing religiousity the school would not perform even better?

Keep in mind christian schools tend to be more selective of their students so they weren't on equal footing.

Goves free schools and academies seem to be failing to most people.
Goves free schools and academies seem to be failing to most people.

What's your point?
What's your point?

I was responding to your point, but let me spell it out for you.

"How do you know if removing religiousity the school would not perform even better?"

He allowed anyone to make schools religious and non religious and they are crap.

So leave the religious good schools alone.
I was responding to your point, but let me spell it out for you.

"How do you know if removing religiousity the school would not perform even better?"

He allowed anyone to make schools religious and non religious and they are crap.

So leave the religious good schools alone.

Which does not explain or argue for anything. The only conclusion you can draw here is that, you cannot leave schools unsupervised.
Which does not explain or argue for anything. The only conclusion you can draw here is that, you cannot leave schools unsupervised.

Yes it does. Those good relgoius schools are not supervised and they produce good grades
Compare this to "supervised" failing inner city schools they are amazing.

Strong trying to impose your liberal agenda on every corner of society, if they are a good religious school and want to be religious let them. Who are you to tell them not to be.

Good results regardless of the school.
the annoying thing was having to sing hymns all the time. But I found a way of getting out of it. I shouted louder than everyone else and sang completely out of tune. Then they just stopped me singing altogether :cool:
Yes it does. Those good relgoius schools are not supervised and they produce good grades
Compare this to "supervised" failing inner city schools they are amazing.

Strong trying to impose your liberal agenda on every corner of society, if they are a good religious school and want to be religious let them. Who are you to tell them not to be.

Good results regardless of the school.

Would it not be because christian schools are more selective? :confused:

So if they have good grades and want to beat their children, we should let them be?
Would it not be because christian schools are more selective? :confused:

So if they have good grades and want to beat their children, we should let them be?

Better than becoming chavs beating people on the street.
It comes down to attitude to learning, if religion instills that upon them then so be it.
Better than becoming chavs beating people on the street.
It comes down to attitude to learning, if religion instills that upon them then so be it.

The thing is, you need to prove that religiousity facilitates learning.

Christian schools are often more selective, so obviously their outcome is going to be better. Not to mention, the muslim schools have been failing.
The thing is, you need to prove that religiousity facilitates learning.

Christian schools are often more selective, so obviously their outcome is going to be better. Not to mention, the muslim schools have been failing.

You just undermined your own argument. Muslim schools also select muslim pupils.

If you want to go down remove selection argument, is BS.

Its like saying to Usain Bolt, no its fine run with the slow people.

Selection is good, people thrive from it, bring back grammar schools!
You just undermined your own argument. Muslim schools also select muslim pupils.

If you want to go down remove selection argument, is BS.

Its like saying to Usain Bolt, no its fine run with the slow people.

Selection is good, people thrive from it, bring back grammar schools!

I did not.

You misunderstood it. Christian schools select pupils from more well-off families, not necessarily by religion.
I did not.

You misunderstood it. Christian schools select pupils from more well-off families, not necessarily by religion.

Who cares if it does well. Bring back grammar schools and selection.
Who cares if it does well. Bring back grammar schools and selection.

But it means it's not because of their religious affiliation.
There's no Protestant/Catholic tensions here in Scotland so I'd say there's another reason that the schools are archaic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by pjm600
For balance, my Catholic schools were nothing like what you've described.

maybe I'm just unlucky, I don't know. Our HT told us that he thought "anyone who doesn't want to believe in God is insane" like you should be encouraging your pupils to have an open mind. Our Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies teacher is the most Catholic you can get, but shows us clips of the likes of Richard Dawkins and the British Humanist Association (and never criticises). It's rather like a prison where I am haha.
Reply 37
Original post by hmainpolly
maybe I'm just unlucky, I don't know. Our HT told us that he thought "anyone who doesn't want to believe in God is insane" like you should be encouraging your pupils to have an open mind. Our Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies teacher is the most Catholic you can get, but shows us clips of the likes of Richard Dawkins and the British Humanist Association (and never criticises). It's rather like a prison where I am haha.

You mention RMPS, so I presume you're in Scotand, mind me asking whereabouts out of interest?
Reply 38
Original post by pjm600
You mention RMPS, so I presume you're in Scotand, mind me asking whereabouts out of interest?

20 minutes west of Glasgow, West Dunbartonshire (10 minutes from Loch Lomond)

are you from Scotland too?
Reply 39
Original post by hmainpolly
20 minutes west of Glasgow, West Dunbartonshire (10 minutes from Loch Lomond)

are you from Scotland too?

Yeah, my school was in Perth, sounds quite different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending