The Student Room Group

Help! Of Mice And Men

So I need to revise for OMAM, I have all the resources and sophisticated analysis notes I need and I understand it all but I just don't know how to get it all into my head! How do I memorise analysis! I don't know how I'll remember all the key points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Have you watched mrbruff's series of OMAM videos on youtube? If you take notes on word whilst he's talking then I'm sure you will benefit - I just wish he would do an inspector calls too.
Original post by ColeNate
Have you watched mrbruff's series of OMAM videos on youtube? If you take notes on word whilst he's talking then I'm sure you will benefit - I just wish he would do an inspector calls too.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any other tips for memorising chunks of info?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by violetvictorious
Any other tips for memorising chunks of info?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would never say to flat-out memorise something, but instead learn how to analyse what one single word means about a character or find some adjectives to describe a character.

Perhaps stick a post-it note on your wall with the adjective 'perceptive' for Curley's Wife. In your head, perhaps this might spring to mind:

Ooh perceptive! Alright - Curley's Wife goes into Crooks' room and calls them all 'bindlestiffs' and she tells them something they really don't want to hear: ' Ever' one of you's scared the rest is goin' to get something on you.'. She is the only one on the ranch to actually tell them how it is! Maybe Steinbeck does that to show that women at the time deserved more than what they were given.
You can memorise it if you want but you won't get past a B grade. English isn't about just memorising the notes, you need to be able to read a passage and analyse it yourself. They can pick any passage they want-what makes you think it will be one you've covered with his videos? Just learn the basics and apply it yourself.
Ps. I scored an A* in English literature and three marks off full marks in English Language

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ColeNate
I would never say to flat-out memorise something, but instead learn how to analyse what one single word means about a character or find some adjectives to describe a character.

Perhaps stick a post-it note on your wall with the adjective 'perceptive' for Curley's Wife. In your head, perhaps this might spring to mind:

Ooh perceptive! Alright - Curley's Wife goes into Crooks' room and calls them all 'bindlestiffs' and she tells them something they really don't want to hear: ' Ever' one of you's scared the rest is goin' to get something on you.'. She is the only one on the ranch to actually tell them how it is! Maybe Steinbeck does that to show that women at the time deserved more than what they were given.

It also shows that the women deserved more credit than they were given. Every depiction shows Curley's wife as a slut, a whore, but instead Steinbeck is clearly demonstrating the fact that women could also be very perceptive and understanding of the troubles that men felt. The use of the ambiguous phrase 'get something on you' can be used to imply that she herself is being kept at Curley's side by some metaphorical rope tying her to his side- this leads the reader to consider what Curley might have against his wife and paints His wife in a very juxtaposing view as a young, scared individual who is as trapped as the migrants.

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hey! Just worth saying that they usually like questions about Curley's wife. You could introduce the idea that her appearance immediately foreshadows danger for Lennie as with her her in 'clusters like sausages' she is quite literally as George calls her 'jailbait', and the threat that she poses to Lennie is communicated through her use of red clothing, carrying connotations not only of passion and sexual desire but also of danger. Despite the fact that Curley's wife is known as a 'slut' amongst the men, this could easily be her way of living out her dream of being an actress as a scout 'was gonna put me in the movies' and so uses her flamboyant choice in clothes in order to live out her dream (ANOTHER UNFULFILLED DREAM!!!!!) We could also suggest that he uses her make-up to hide her insecurities and to survive on the ranch, using her sexuality to cover up the isolation she feels from others with her 'eyes, heavily made up.' Secondly, she is Curley's wife, given no other name other than this personal pronoun as though she is his property. This gives us an idea of how women were viewed in the 1930s, who must 'stay the hell home where she belongs'. Sorry this was a little rushed! I did this last year so I'm a little rusty on the quotes but they're mostly right. Hope this helps!
Thanks everyone.
Original post by Mutleybm1996
You can memorise it if you want but you won't get past a B grade. English isn't about just memorising the notes, you need to be able to read a passage and analyse it yourself. They can pick any passage they want-what makes you think it will be one you've covered with his videos? Just learn the basics and apply it yourself.
Ps. I scored an A* in English literature and three marks off full marks in English Language

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm actually, the exam board i'm with doesn't give you a passage to memorise. We only get a question - It's also a closed book exam which makes it harder. Maybe it IS best to memorize SOME points because I won't have the book with me
Original post by violetvictorious
Umm actually, the exam board i'm with doesn't give you a passage to memorise. We only get a question - It's also a closed book exam which makes it harder. Maybe it IS best to memorize SOME points because I won't have the book with me

neither did ours, i was just pointing out that you can't go around memorizing various passages as you have no idea which will come up.

Which board are you with? seems a little harsh that you can't have the book to have look at the passage.
Original post by Mutleybm1996
neither did ours, i was just pointing out that you can't go around memorizing various passages as you have no idea which will come up.

Which board are you with? seems a little harsh that you can't have the book to have look at the passage.

Yeah closed book exams are annoying :frown: - Edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would just go over old extracts used on each character and make sure you know all the common points used. Many extracts are used again in the exam as it is a short book.
Original post by Silver_moon
I would just go over old extracts used on each character and make sure you know all the common points used. Many extracts are used again in the exam as it is a short book.

We don't get given an extract, only a Q

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest