The Student Room Group

"Muslim Hipsters = Mipsterz" ??? What do you think about this video?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dan1607
Anger and embarrassment were my main feelings.

Seriously though, I hate hipsters with a burning passion.

Let's be serious though, who doesn't hate "hipsters". The name pisses me off and I think the people behind the video could have names it something bit better. Although the video is slightly embarrassing (i.e it feels like they are trying to hard and just looks superficial), I applaud their effort because they were doing it with the correct intentions. The Happy British Muslims video is is much better, shows we do it better in Britain haha!
Reply 21
Original post by Grooveyness
Lool I agree, it was a bit cringe. And haha, I'm guessing you mean "Religion" and not race? You had tons of races in that!
The Happy one is great though, so much better.

There are; most probably because it came up in "recent threads" and they wanted a go.
The only guy worth replying to now is probably Consumed by Stuff, his game is strong. I got the voice thing going as well.
Lool you know I do:rolleyes:

Yeah sorry I meant religion, feel dumb for typing race but I was still watching the video and not concentrating haha.

Yeah the whole recording the voice thing definitely makes it better.
Reply 22
Well I don't really like Jay-Z but I thought the song was pretty good.
Original post by Red one
Posers. We have quite a lot of Muslim girls, I use the term loosely, at my university dressed like that and I always laugh because the point of their Hijaab is for modesty yet they are wearing skinny jeans and short tops that don't cover their asses.[/QUO
I dress like that with a hijaab and so do most of my mates. at the end of the day only gods judgement matters to us.
I cringed 20 seconds in and stopped the vid, sorry.
Reply 25
Original post by Lord Fifa
Well I don't really like Jay-Z but I thought the song was pretty good.

I think they could have picked a better song, something a bit more upbeat and positive. Jay-Z's lyrics against what the message they were trying to portray was just a bit contradictory tbh.
Reply 26
Original post by Some random guy
I cringed 20 seconds in and stopped the vid, sorry.

Lol I don't blame you, it definitely is cringey and you just get the vibe that they are trying too hard but I'm glad they made it because of the discussion they got going.

Watch the Happy British Muslims one, so much better and it's not forced.
Reply 27
Responses against;

I am not here to pass judgment on anyone, whether it is a woman who struts the streets with no clothes or a woman who walks in black from head to toe. But I am here to judge a trend that is pairing “swag,” “hijab,” and empowerment in a tightly wrapped bundle that conceals what hijab truly encompasses. The women in this video are strong and demand respect. The trends this video echoes are not. -Fatima Waseem

The process of creating ‘normal’ is also stripping us, especially women, away from central parts of our faith. The Mipsterz video is hard to stomach for so many because it throws the increasing Islamofashionista culture into your face. Catwalk ready, catwalk strut and catwalk ‘tude seem so antithetical to what we know and expect, sometimes zealously, as Islamic modesty. This isn’t about policing what we wear and how or about casting judgment, but about the sort of culture we’re creating for Muslim women’s dress that is no diferrent than the images and lifestyles sans hijab we criticize. -Sana Saeed

Definitely agree with this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Tpos

As do I but I am, at the same time, grateful for the video. It changed many peoples perspective of women in Islam and started a great debate with many people involved. I just they could have done it a wee bit differently and instead of just focusing on Muslim women, they could have focussed on everyone and the video just seems a bit flashy and forced (like oh look at me I skateboard and I'm a muslim and I'm wearing rings and I have a great fashion style). I think Muslim women's fashion has been covered to death by Muslims, how about focusing on something different?
Reply 29
Original post by Tpos

This isn’t about policing what we wear and how or about casting judgment, but about the sort of culture we’re creating for Muslim women’s dress that is no diferrent than the images and lifestyles sans hijab we criticize

This bit is either completely contradictory or completely wrong...

As for the first woman's blog, it's impassioned but shows no real explanation/depth.

Original post by matchdayG
This isn’t about policing what we wear and how or about casting judgment, but about the sort of culture we’re creating for Muslim women’s dress that is no diferrent than the images and lifestyles sans hijab we criticize

As for the first woman's blog, it's impassioned but shows no real explanation/depth.

I think what she's trying to say is that no Muslim woman can pass religious judgement on another Muslim woman (i.e why is she wearing a dress/why isn't she covering her hair/God must be angry at her etc) and her point isn't that we should pass judgement but rather that the point of the video is seemingly furthering the same same type of culture and arguments against not wearing hijab (as in the objectification of women etc etc) Basically she's saying that the video disagrees itself as it's promoting the very culture that hoes against hijab.
This video (I think) is a bit more effective than the Mipsterz one. It is a bit less "in your face" and I love it (despite it's cringeyness at times haha)

[video="youtube;gVDIXqILqSM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVDIXqILqSM[/video]

I like that video, even though it's a corny as hell and I detest the song, it does sum up pretty much most of the younger generation of Muslim's in Britain. And I've lived among them my entire life.
Reply 32
a little bit annoying/showy, not the most muslim thing I've seen from a muslim
Reply 33
Original post by Mo_maths
This is bare jokes!!!

Lmfao this really is bare jokess
I think. Hmm.. nothing. Pure highlighting and generalizing here.
Reply 35
[video="youtube;lVmmYMwFj1I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I[/video]

very comparable
Reply 36
As do I but I am, at the same time, grateful for the video. It changed many peoples perspective of women in Islam and started a great debate with many people involved. I just they could have done it a wee bit differently and instead of just focusing on Muslim women, they could have focussed on everyone and the video just seems a bit flashy and forced (like oh look at me I skateboard and I'm a muslim and I'm wearing rings and I have a great fashion style). I think Muslim women's fashion has been covered to death by Muslims, how about focusing on something different?

Tbh with things like this I'd prefer if people's perspective of Muslim women didn't change! I mean of course we're normal people but no we shouldn't be prancing about like that and we're not supposed to be dressing immodestly. People should understand and accept that certain Muslim women will dress in a certain way and there's nothing wrong with it.

Original post by matchdayG

From what I understand it's saying I shouldn't look down at others for what they wear or force them to wear certain things however Islamically there is a dress code and these fashionista types are straying from that code. This is in turn, creating a culture of "trendy" hijabis (or whatever you want to call them) and this whole culture is wrong. Basically if a Muslim girl wants to dress wearing short/tight clothing then that's up to her but it's not right, yet it's a growing culture which is becoming acceptable and something that young girls want to imitate. This is my understanding of the quote, and also my thoughts on the issue.

(EDIT: Also, if clothing is modest then there's nothing wrong with looking good. We're not supposed to look like tramps! lol)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
[QUOTE="Ribbit1234;47186013"]
Original post by Red one
Posers. We have quite a lot of Muslim girls, I use the term loosely, at my university dressed like that and I always laugh because the point of their Hijaab is for modesty yet they are wearing skinny jeans and short tops that don't cover their asses.[/QUO
I dress like that with a hijaab and so do most of my mates. at the end of the day only gods judgement matters to us.

yes and theres nothing wrong with it, its perfectly fine. all muslim women should atleast dress like you and your mates.
Original post by Robbie242
[video="youtube;lVmmYMwFj1I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I[/video]

very comparable

LMAO hahahaha awww Robbie, I think this calls for some memes.
Original post by Ebony19
a little bit annoying/showy, not the most muslim thing I've seen from a muslim

I do agree, it's VERY annoying especially considering it's trying too hard.

Quick Reply

Latest