The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm taking this exam, I hope it goes ok. If the poems I want to come up are on the paper, it should hopefully be ok...

I'm studying:
Christina Rossetti
W.H. Auden
The Kite Runner
The Great Gatsby

I'm planning to do poetry for Section A because we've been taught to do it that way so I think I have more practise answering the questions. I also feel like I'd be better talking more about novels for Section B because the questions seem to be less specific and normally fit better for novels because of it.

The poems I want to come up are:
Rossetti - In The Round Tower; An Apple Gathering; Jessie Cameron (I don't think either of these three have been on before and I've revised them recently and enjoy writing about them.)
Auden - Musée des Beaux Arts (I find the concept more interesting than the other poems), James Honeyman or As I Walked Out One Evening (I did a practise question on that and got good marks, so I know what I'd write for Section A part one.)

I'll choose which poet to answer depending on the second part of the question - sometimes some of the questions given are really strange so I want to make sure I can answer both of them well.

For Section B something about antagonists might come up? My teacher thinks there's a chance because protagonists has previously been on ad it's basically the opposite to that.

Good luck with the exam everyone :smile:

P.S. I found this thread earlier - although it's from January 2013 there's a post by "Unsworth" on the first page and it's so so useful in explaining how to do well, I'd definitely recommend reading it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2167542
My Section B predictions are: beginnings, contrast, symbolism, antagonists. Anyone else?
Reply 3
I'm doing Auden, Browning, The Kite Runner and Enduring Love. Planning on doing either Auden/Enduring Love in Section A. Got no idea what might come up in Section B.

How are you revising for the exam? I'm mostly doing past papers but also attempting to mindmap various aspects of narrative for each of my texts.
Reply 4
I'm doing Auden, Browning, Great Expectations and Enduring Love. For anybody doing Auden and Browning what Section A poem do you think may come up? And thoughts on Section B? Maybe beginnings or characterisation?
Wow Dougie. You're lucky. All the poems you want from Auden are likely to come up.
I've attached a little summary of section A past paper sections for Ancient Mariner, Kite runner, Auden's poems and Great Gatsby.

So As I walked out one evening, Musée des Beaux Arts and James Honeyman haven't come up for Section A of Auden's poems.
Also Part 1 hasn't come up yet of the Ancient Mariner so you should focus on that. Good luck people. If I get a C I'll be ecstatic. It'll be like a little Christmas miracle in August.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Anybody doing Browning? Section A predictions? I was thinking The Laboratory- hasnt come up yet
Original post by Giroud12
Anybody doing Browning? Section A predictions? I was thinking The Laboratory- hasnt come up yet

Meeeee! We had The Laboratory for our mock which I LOVED because it's an amazing poem, and really short too! I reeaaaaally hope it comes up, I will legit cry in the exam hall! My predictions for the exam are The Laboratory, The Patriot (hasn't come up since June 2010) and maybe Porphyria's Lover? Since it hasn't been on since June 2011.
I really hope it's one of those and not Fra Lippo Longest Poem Ever :frown:

What else are you studying?
And how are you revising for Section A? I'm literally just making essay plans on form, structure, language, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm doing Gatsby for Section A - I think Chapter 6 is a lock-in. But I'd be happy with 1, 3, or 4 even.

Keep rolling with Section B predictions. How would you guys do antagonists for Browning?
Reply 9

Yes, im doing browning, rime of the ancient mariner, the kite runner and gatsby. My teacher has also predicted the laboratory to come up as it was only added this year.
Reply 10
Original post by janicee
Wow Dougie. You're lucky. All the poems you want from Auden are likely to come up.
I've attached a little summary of section A past paper sections for Ancient Mariner, Kite runner, Auden's poems and Great Gatsby.

So As I walked out one evening, Musée des Beaux Arts and James Honeyman haven't come up for Section A of Auden's poems.
Also Part 1 hasn't come up yet of the Ancient Mariner so you should focus on that. Good luck people. If I get a C I'll be ecstatic. It'll be like a little Christmas miracle in August.

thanks for the table its really helpful :smile:
Original post by tweety97
thanks for the table its really helpful :smile:

No problem! I thought It'd be good to share it with everyone. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Maddiee_xoxo
Meeeee! We had The Laboratory for our mock which I LOVED because it's an amazing poem, and really short too! I reeaaaaally hope it comes up, I will legit cry in the exam hall! My predictions for the exam are The Laboratory, The Patriot (hasn't come up since June 2010) and maybe Porphyria's Lover? Since it hasn't been on since June 2011.
I really hope it's one of those and not Fra Lippo Longest Poem Ever :frown:

What else are you studying?
And how are you revising for Section A? I'm literally just making essay plans on form, structure, language, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also studying Auden, Enduring Love and Great Expectations. You?
In terms of revision- i'm planning the "how does the author tell the story" question for each of the poems that are likely to come up for Browning and Auden ie. The Laboratory, so when I go into the exam I have a good idea of what to write, and hopefully be more concise and save time. Also, i'm revising context for the second part of Section A.
Reply 13
Original post by tweety97
Yes, im doing browning, rime of the ancient mariner, the kite runner and gatsby. My teacher has also predicted the laboratory to come up as it was only added this year.

yeah I reckon The Laboratory will come up, if not The Patriot, the worst thing would be asking a section of Fra Lippo Lippi or Pied Piper.
Reply 14
And what everybody predictions for Section B? Any ideas? This is the hardest section in my opinion, and there has been so many difficult questions, like names or gaps. Thoughts?
Reply 15
yeah I reckon The Laboratory will come up, if not The Patriot, the worst thing would be asking a section of Fra Lippo Lippi or Pied Piper.

yes your right but if they ask about the pied piper i think they would pick a specific stanza. also at school my teacher hasnt gone through fra lippo lippi with us yet. so do you have any annotations or sources that would help me?

thank you :smile:
I'm also studying Auden, Enduring Love and Great Expectations. You?
In terms of revision- i'm planning the "how does the author tell the story" question for each of the poems that are likely to come up for Browning and Auden ie. The Laboratory, so when I go into the exam I have a good idea of what to write, and hopefully be more concise and save time. Also, i'm revising context for the second part of Section A.

Oh right, I'm studying short stories by D.H Lawrence, Tennyson poems and the Kite Runner.
Literally same! I'm definitely doing Browning for Section A, so I've made essay plans for each poem on form, structure and language. Then I've done a bit on interpretations and context for A(b).
I'm so confused online to revise for Section B :frown:
I think I'll just make notes on the themes that have come up in past papers, + other narrative techniques for each text.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt they'd do Pied Piper since it came up last year. Then again, it came up in January last year too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Resitting for the 3rd time ugh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dooobie_
Resitting for the 3rd time ugh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh unlucky :/ have you done the A2 exam? I'm doing the AS and the A2 D: how are you remembering quotes?

For everyone who wants to do English next year: for your own good, I'm just saying I don't think you should do it because you have to remember quotes from the 3 books you do next year. Your actually not allowed to bring them in. So if you don't know any... Automatic fail. My teacher didn't even tell us that till a few months ago. Especially if your not confident on this, imagine having to do a resit with your A2.
I wished I picked science D:

Latest

Trending

Trending