Oxford Brookes Applicants for September 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
I'm coming from Newcastle!
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 561
Heyy , I'm from Bulgaria and I'll be studying Economics, Politics and International relations starting September soo I was wondering if there are any other Bulgarian freshers this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 562
Original post by jacksharpe
Hello, ill be doing the same as you! Ill be living in the same halls! What are they like to live in and would you say they are worth it for the money?:smile: also do you keep your car (if you have one) in the on site car park!!

And also a few questions about the course, is the first year worth any of the final result and whats the course like?:smile: do you do many practical activities as such?? Do you enjoy the course?

Sorry about the bombardment!

Westminster Halls are so nice to live in, so glad I decided to live in them as a first year - love them so much staying in accommodation for second year too :P the price is expensive but you are paying for such new accommodation it is worth it! From experience of other uni open days etc. it is the best uni accommodation I have ever seen! Also the security staff and wardens are brilliant to make sure you are safe. Have you had a chance to have a look around them?

As for car parking, as a Primary Education student you are entitled to leave your car on campus as long as you buy a permit for the year. I personally haven't got a car on campus but my friend does. The university relies on Primary Education students to bring their cars to help for placement transport e.g. if you brought your car with you, you may be asked to drive yourself and others to placement schools outside of Oxford.

First year marks do not count to your final degree classification, however Brookes are now doing GPA (Grade Point Average) which your first year module marks do count for. GPA is only really used if you want to work abroad. So if you want to teach in the UK first year marks aren't really that significant as schools will just look at your degree classification. On the other hand, if you wanted to teach in the USA they would use GPA and first year marks would contribute to that.

The course is brilliant and all of the staff make it so easy for you to settle in and get to know people on your course. Also, in halls you should be placed with other Primary Education students which is a good way to get comfortable with peers you will also be working with. The course is split into various modules which are introduced at different times of the year, and each module has some form of assessment.

I really enjoy the course, and even though it is quite busy it means you're not just sat in your room doing nothing. All the staff are really helpful and will always provide extra help if you need it. We are in the process of setting up a Primary Education Society (find us on facebook) with some of others in first year, which will help provide links and support across the year groups. The library is brilliant for text books, children's books and school resources making placements and assignments a little less daunting.

As for practical activities, you go into a school one day a week for 5 weeks in first and second term. The final block placement in the summer is with a partner which also makes it less nerve wracking :smile: There are also other practical activities throughout the year, such as cooking and visiting Oxford museums.

Is Oxford Brookes your first choice? Are you doing A levels at the moment?

Sorry for the essay style response, however I hope this answers a few questions :smile:
I agree, it is too expensive compared to all my friends! What campus is english? :smile:

Headington :smile:
Original post by BN_BN
Westminster Halls are so nice to live in, so glad I decided to live in them as a first year - love them so much staying in accommodation for second year too :P the price is expensive but you are paying for such new accommodation it is worth it! From experience of other uni open days etc. it is the best uni accommodation I have ever seen! Also the security staff and wardens are brilliant to make sure you are safe. Have you had a chance to have a look around them?

As for car parking, as a Primary Education student you are entitled to leave your car on campus as long as you buy a permit for the year. I personally haven't got a car on campus but my friend does. The university relies on Primary Education students to bring their cars to help for placement transport e.g. if you brought your car with you, you may be asked to drive yourself and others to placement schools outside of Oxford.

First year marks do not count to your final degree classification, however Brookes are now doing GPA (Grade Point Average) which your first year module marks do count for. GPA is only really used if you want to work abroad. So if you want to teach in the UK first year marks aren't really that significant as schools will just look at your degree classification. On the other hand, if you wanted to teach in the USA they would use GPA and first year marks would contribute to that.

The course is brilliant and all of the staff make it so easy for you to settle in and get to know people on your course. Also, in halls you should be placed with other Primary Education students which is a good way to get comfortable with peers you will also be working with. The course is split into various modules which are introduced at different times of the year, and each module has some form of assessment.

I really enjoy the course, and even though it is quite busy it means you're not just sat in your room doing nothing. All the staff are really helpful and will always provide extra help if you need it. We are in the process of setting up a Primary Education Society (find us on facebook) with some of others in first year, which will help provide links and support across the year groups. The library is brilliant for text books, children's books and school resources making placements and assignments a little less daunting.

As for practical activities, you go into a school one day a week for 5 weeks in first and second term. The final block placement in the summer is with a partner which also makes it less nerve wracking :smile: There are also other practical activities throughout the year, such as cooking and visiting Oxford museums.

Is Oxford Brookes your first choice? Are you doing A levels at the moment?

Sorry for the essay style response, however I hope this answers a few questions :smile:

Yes it is my first choice and passed the qts etc and the health questionnaire! Thanks for all the help, it is good to know!!

In the car park is there enough space for the cars as I dont want to get there one day and not be able to park:frown:

Excited to start!
Reply 565
Yes it is my first choice and passed the qts etc and the health questionnaire! Thanks for all the help, it is good to know!!

In the car park is there enough space for the cars as I dont want to get there one day and not be able to park:frown:

Excited to start!

Awesome :smile: You're welcome, feel free to drop me a message if you need anymore advice or have any questions.

Yeah there is enough space, as long as you buy a permit you are guaranteed a space as they regulate the number of permits handed out against the number of spaces.

Glad you are excited, it really is an amazing place to study Primary Education!
Reply 566
Original post by BN_BN
Hey guys,
I am a first year BA Primary Education student living in Westminster Halls at Harcourt Hill (I will also be living there next year in the 2nd year block).

If you have any questions about the course, accommodation, the university or oxford I will try my best to help :smile:

Don't feel I can't help if you're applying for another course - I can try my best!

Glad to see you're all excited to be part of the Brookes family in September!

Best of luck xx

Hi I'm starting in September for the early childhood course, it is taught at the same campus as yours but when I went to Brookes the other day a woman said to me that you don't necessarily live on the the same site you're taught at. Are there many early childhood studies students living in westminster halls, or on the harcourt hill campus that you know of? Thanks, Emma x
Reply 567
Original post by ykazalova
Heyy , I'm from Bulgaria and I'll be studying Economics, Politics and International relations starting September soo I was wondering if there are any other Bulgarian freshers this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be studying that, pending I meet the conditions of my offer. Maybe I shall see you there! :-)
Reply 568
Original post by Harvir7
I'll be studying that, pending I meet the conditions of my offer. Maybe I shall see you there! :-)

Totally 😊 have you thought about the accommodation? I read that the Wheatley halls were "awful" (whatever this means) but they seem to be the most convenient ... and I'm confused now ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 569
Original post by Emma394
Hi I'm starting in September for the early childhood course, it is taught at the same campus as yours but when I went to Brookes the other day a woman said to me that you don't necessarily live on the the same site you're taught at. Are there many early childhood studies students living in westminster halls, or on the harcourt hill campus that you know of? Thanks, Emma x

Hey! Yeah I know some people studying early childhood studies/education studies that live at harcourt hill! People study other courses as well! If you put Westminster halls as your top accommodation choice then you should hopefully get it - however you make other choices as there is no top choice guarantee! Hope this helps!
Original post by BN_BN
Hey! Yeah I know some people studying early childhood studies/education studies that live at harcourt hill! People study other courses as well! If you put Westminster halls as your top accommodation choice then you should hopefully get it - however you make other choices as there is no top choice guarantee! Hope this helps!

Is it true that primary education students are guaranteed harcourt?:smile:
Reply 571
Original post by ykazalova
Totally 😊 have you thought about the accommodation? I read that the Wheatley halls were "awful" (whatever this means) but they seem to be the most convenient ... and I'm confused now ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking of having the Paul Kent hall as my first choice. I liked the pricing and overall location of it. Yes, and also, Wheatley halls aren't ensuite and I don't think I'd be able to cope, haha.
Reply 572
Is it true that primary education students are guaranteed harcourt?:smile:

Yep I believe so! I would try get your accommodation application sent in as soon as you can just to be on the safe side :smile:
Original post by BN_BN
Yep I believe so! I would try get your accommodation application sent in as soon as you can just to be on the safe side :smile:

One last question! Can you give me an example of your timetable, im curious!

Posted from TSR Mobile
One last question! Can you give me an example of your timetable, im curious!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here you can actually check your own timetable for next year, along with the syllabus for your course. You have lecture/seminar times, how much time for independent study/lecture times overall and what topics you'll be studying, and books that you'll be using. You just need to draw the timetable yourself, but lecture times are shown there.

http://kmis.brookes.ac.uk/csms/wprin_chb.modmain?pid=93475245676633963
Reply 575
Seeing as Easter is over and we'll get an email soon, i'm starting to panic about whether applying for en suite will be worth the money?? I'm really not sure whether to even put Cheney Student Village on my list of 5 as it just doesn't seem worth the amount of money as you pay for 50 weeks rather than 38 plus the £200 deposit... Do you guys think an en suite or being closer to the Headington campus (at least for the first year) is worth the £6000+...??
I'm stuck between Oxford Brookes and Bath Spa for English at the moment :s-smilie: The accomodation prices at Brookes are extortionate which puts me off a bit :s but the course is so good!
And now that wait between the end of Easter, and the time the email arrives.
Every day I'm madly refreshing my emails, hoping the accommodation email will be sitting there waiting for me :frown:
Also, forgive me if this has already been posted, but here's the Facebook OB 2014 Freshers group page thing, I just thought it would be useful to have on here in case anyone would like to join :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/634714383260575/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending