The Student Room Group

Stay at home mums have the hardest job and here's why.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apocrypha
Haha, i know so many Africans and Caribbeans who got the beatings when they were younger, and they would talk about it like its normal, because it essentially is pretty normal, its how some cultures demonstrate respect. These guys dont ring up childline afterwards whimping over how his mum gave him a backhand. He takes it in his stride and jokes about it.

Bruv, it is made into pure banter. An African/carribean child would rather get hit than have their phone/laptop taken away from them
Original post by ennahaspatience
Exactly :lol:. If you even try bring it up your fxxed

pretty sure the last time my friend brought it up he got in trouble more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
pretty sure the last time my friend brought it up he got in trouble more

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like my life, I am not about to threaten my parents with social services
Nothing wrong with being a stay at home mum, absolutely nothing at all. But I disagree on it being the 'hardest' job. My mum has 3 of us kids, works a full time job AND does most of the house work (I help out but she does a lot more than me) and no way in hell are you telling me staying at home all day being a mum is harder than having to juggle a job as well. I can see where you're coming from but considering you WANT to be a stay at home mum you're heavily biased and because of that I struggle to see your argument as valid, no offense intended. It seems your argument is more based on justifying your desire to be a stay at home mum, but why do you need to justify it to a load of people on the internet?
Original post by donutaud15
Absolutely agree with this. Having been raised in a career orientated family, I recently had to admit to myself that actually I want to be a stay at home mum for few years. Not easy since society seems to embedd in everyone's mind that there is something very wrong with being a stay at home wife and mum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. There's a huge amount of judgement, from people with jobs for the fact you're not working, my mum's had a lot of stick for staying at home to look after us. But we turned out pretty well so she must've done something right :lol: And then there's a huge amount of judgement from other mums because clearly everyone else is bringing up their child wrong. The whole thing almost makes me not want to be a parent.

I don't think being a stay-at-home mum is the hardest job, but then a lot of things aren't the hardest jobs. Lots of jobs are incredibly difficult and even if they're not, many of them still deserve respect. Why do we have to rank things all the time?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Meyrin
Being a working single parent is harder than being a stay-at-home one, no matter what rubbish an insipid advert tries to put out.

You don't have to worry about bills, or payments, or earning enough money. You don't have to worry about spending enough time with your children. You don't have to take on all the responsibilities single-handedly, and if things go wrong you have someone else there to support and rely on.

Stay at home mothers are some of the biggest drama queens I've ever come across, and their marching battle to be seen as having a job "harder than yours!" is bordering on pathetic.

Top, top post. Its weird to agree with you :K:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Agreed. There's a huge amount of judgement, from people with jobs for the fact you're not working, my mum's had a lot of stick for staying at home to look after us. But we turned out pretty well so she must've done something right :lol: And then there's a huge amount of judgement from other mums because clearly everyone else is bringing up their child wrong. The whole thing almost makes me not want to be a parent.

I don't think being a stay-at-home mum is the hardest job, but then a lot of things aren't the hardest jobs. Lots of jobs are incredibly difficult and even if they're not, many of them still deserve respect. Why do we have to rank things all the time?

Red one is the only one trying to rank things, while everyone else is pretty much repeating what you've said.
Original post by elpistolero7
Top, top post. Its weird to agree with you :K:

It's like colluding with your arch nemesis, isn't it? :lol:
Original post by Meyrin
It's like colluding with your arch nemesis, isn't it? :lol:

Nah, that would be colluding with JamieTT, I don't disagree with you nearly as much :redface:.

It is spooky though :K:.
Reply 169
The video is fake and commercially bias
stay at home mums have it very easy and they wouldn't know hard work if it stared them in the face
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I was thinking for childcare, if both are working full time you'll have to pay childcare

Also what's the point? Why have kid to send them to a school to bring them up?

Yeah, but if you're middle class (and let's be honest most on TSR are) the wage will probably cover it, though ironically most graduate employers offer childcare vouchers.

I haven't asked them, they're my parents' friends, be a bit awkward! The kids are at Eton and Wycombe Abbey, given they live outside London I'd guess it will be partly an educational decision, that particular type of education is only really available as a boarder unless you're in London with access to Westminster/Paul's/NCLS and so on or happen by chance to live near somewhere like Eton or Charterhouse. In terms of why have them, so far as I can tell they still love them and having kids still brings them great joy, the kids are reasonably well adjusted, he's a bit cocky, but it kind of goes with the OE territory and she's evaded the traditional high achieving all girls' boarding school eating disorder. Also, got to have someone to give the whacking inheritance to.
Original post by Le Nombre
Yeah, but if you're middle class (and let's be honest most on TSR are) the wage will probably cover it, though ironically most graduate employers offer childcare vouchers.

I haven't asked them, they're my parents' friends, be a bit awkward! The kids are at Eton and Wycombe Abbey, given they live outside London I'd guess it will be partly an educational decision, that particular type of education is only really available as a boarder unless you're in London with access to Westminster/Paul's/NCLS and so on or happen by chance to live near somewhere like Eton or Charterhouse. In terms of why have them, so far as I can tell they still love them and having kids still brings them great joy, the kids are reasonably well adjusted, he's a bit cocky, but it kind of goes with the OE territory and she's evaded the traditional high achieving all girls' boarding school eating disorder. Also, got to have someone to give the whacking inheritance to.

I dunno, I think it's weird to have kids and then send them away. You have no control over their upbringing, you inflict horrible food and no home on them, push them away. It's horrible
Reply 172
Original post by Robbie242
It's okay but you can't go around claiming its the hardest job like the OP is

What, so it's the second hardest? Big deal the OP was only out by the factor of one. I've only read a couple of pages of this thread, but made this comment, the only job claimed to be harder than a 'mom' was being a 'mom' who worked.

Original post by Meyrin
Being a working single parent is harder than being a stay-at-home one, no matter what rubbish an insipid advert tries to put out.

You don't have to worry about bills, or payments, or earning enough money. You don't have to worry about spending enough time with your children. You don't have to take on all the responsibilities single-handedly, and if things go wrong you have someone else there to support and rely on.

Stay at home mothers are some of the biggest drama queens I've ever come across, and their marching battle to be seen as having a job "harder than yours!" is bordering on pathetic.

I kind of agree with this. In terms of the last sentence, only some would say that. You will get people in all sorts of jobs claiming things you disagree with. But, yes in general I would would disagree with such a forced, arrogant opinion.

Come to think of it, a full-time student, who becomes a single mother at uni would be very hard.
I dunno, I think it's weird to have kids and then send them away. You have no control over their upbringing, you inflict horrible food and no home on them, push them away. It's horrible

Well you can choose what school they go to, given these schools have been pumping kids out for the best part of 3 centuries in many cases you can take a pretty good guess what you're going to get the other end, an Etonian for example is usually a very different kind of boy, and man, to someone who went to Winchester or, even more so, Bedales. The food's generally pretty sexy these days, unless it's Winchester for some reason, and they get their own room, you don't pay 30 odd k a year for nothing. In terms of having a home, I think many feel the school is their home, in the same way many uni students will feel their uni town is their home whilst they're there.

Key thing though is I guess the education and opportunities. I don't particularly like independent schooling, but somewhere like Eton has fantastic teachers (because they pay them a lot); small class sizes; an Oxbridge hit rate which most schools would happily take as their overall universty acceptances; mindboggling facilities; endless extracurriculars; and, if worst comes to the worst and your child manages to cock up in spite of all this, an old boy network which can see them right through life.
Original post by A5ko
If looking after a few kids at home is the hardest job in the world, those nursery assistants are like gods/goddesses amongst mere mortals.

I work in a preschool where we have more than 40 children in at any one time every morning.
Original post by Le Nombre
Well you can choose what school they go to, given these schools have been pumping kids out for the best part of 3 centuries in many cases you can take a pretty good guess what you're going to get the other end, an Etonian for example is usually a very different kind of boy, and man, to someone who went to Winchester or, even more so, Bedales. The food's generally pretty sexy these days, unless it's Winchester for some reason, and they get their own room, you don't pay 30 odd k a year for nothing. In terms of having a home, I think many feel the school is their home, in the same way many uni students will feel their uni town is their home whilst they're there.

Key thing though is I guess the education and opportunities. I don't particularly like independent schooling, but somewhere like Eton has fantastic teachers (because they pay them a lot); small class sizes; an Oxbridge hit rate which most schools would happily take as their overall universty acceptances; mindboggling facilities; endless extracurriculars; and, if worst comes to the worst and your child manages to cock up in spite of all this, an old boy network which can see them right through life.

It's like sending your kids to a production line

Again that depends how you define success, I personally don't care for oxford rate, grades or an old boys network, in fact that would put me off immensely
Original post by elpistolero7
I have issues with people who are full time stay at home parents through the kids childhood and teenage years. First few years? I get it, I even admire it. After that? I think its just laziness tbh, but hey, to each their own. I could never be with someone who wanted to a stay at home mum/housewife forever. I

I tried to argue the same thing with Tyrion a while back and got a torrent of abuse. :dontknow:
It's like sending your kids to a production line

Again that depends how you define success, I personally don't care for oxford rate, grades or an old boys network, in fact that would put me off immensely

No, but most Etonians I've met do seem to have been genuinely inspired to love learning by their teachers, though I am somewhat dubious about the overall effeect of a concentration of top teaching talent on a very small number of boys who are likely to embrace education anyway, which I think is what education should do. However, the other stuff certainly doesn't hurt in a world where a job for life with a decent salary is an increasingly rare commodity.
That video is the definition of exaggeration and hyperbole. Stay-at-home mums stand up almost all of the time? Okay then...
Original post by snowyowl
I tried to argue the same thing with Tyrion a while back and got a torrent of abuse. :dontknow:

No you didn't, we had a discussion about it. The only time I have insulted you was in a different thread where you insulted me first

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending