The Student Room Group

What can I do to stand out?

My application atm for training contracts and vac schemes as a first year is pretty mediocre. A-level grades get passed most filters and hopefully will get a 2.1. Have 4 law firm open days and a high street firm.

What things could I do over the summer that would make me stand out?

Also, since I don't have any 'internships' at law firms yet, do you think that will be a big disadvantage when applying for vac schemes?
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you have work experience that is not law related? If you're applying to commercial law firms then experience in 'real world' business is invaluable.
Original post by cognito_08
Do you have work experience that is not law related? If you're applying to commercial law firms then experience in 'real world' business is invaluable.

Some. But I want to focus on law related stuff. Could I work at the CAB over the summer?
Original post by adamsmithqm
Some. But I want to focus on law related stuff. Could I work at the CAB over the summer?

You don't 'work' for CAB, you volunteer. Some roles require you to commit to 2-3 days per week, for a minimum of a year.
Reply 4
If your dad is a High Court judge that will certainly help.

That would be a good start. You should note that lots of law students want to volunteer at their local CAB so you should get your application in early and figure out when you can commit some time for them.

What other legal experience do you have? Have you shadowed any lawyers, for example?
Original post by cognito_08
That would be a good start. You should note that lots of law students want to volunteer at their local CAB so you should get your application in early and figure out when you can commit some time for them.

What other legal experience do you have? Have you shadowed any lawyers, for example?

Attended open days at 4 law firms.
Worked at a high street firm for a week.
Visited open court trials.
Mentored by a trainee solicitor.
Do something interesting. Volunteer abroad, do an internship (legal or otherwise)

You run the risk of just being forgettable and quickly bypassed by HR. I've always been advised by HR to have a 'hook' something that makes you slightly different to every other candidate who has walked through the door.

Have you been involved much with extra curricular at QMUL? sports? societies?

Going to open days/speaking to recruiters has led me to believe that getting onto vacation schemes are often more about how interesting you are, what experience you have and not just how law orientated your background is.

I'm at LSE and there are plenty of people with exceptional grades, high sporting ability, positions of responsibility and quite often friends in high places. The competition is exceedingly tough.

QMUL is a good university, but my hunch tells me that if you're targeting top firms, you will either need exceptional marks/and or an interesting background, varied experiences/positions of responsibilities etc (please correct me it this is not the case regarding aiming for 'top' firms)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Cutmeloose
Do something interesting...

Going to open days/speaking to recruiters has led me to believe that getting onto vacation schemes are often more about how interesting you are, what experience you have and not just how law orientated your background is.

I'm at LSE and there are plenty of people with exceptional grades, high sporting ability, positions of responsibility and quite often friends in high places. The competition is exceedingly tough.

QMUL is a good university, but my hunch tells me that if you're targeting top firms, you will either need exceptional marks/and or an interesting background, varied experiences/positions of responsibilities etc (please correct me it this is not the case regarding aiming for 'top' firms)

This
Do something interesting. Volunteer abroad, do an internship (legal or otherwise)

You run the risk of just being forgettable and quickly bypassed by HR. I've always been advised by HR to have a 'hook' something that makes you slightly different to every other candidate who has walked through the door.

I realise how tough the competition is so i'm not targeting the top firms per say, although I will probably apply just in case. I would be perfectly fine with a smaller or medium sized firm.
I realise how tough the competition is so i'm not targeting the top firms per say, although I will probably apply just in case. I would be perfectly fine with a smaller or medium sized firm.

Really not sure, it should be 'a just in case' thing. Applications are long and tedious especially if you're not that bothered about whether the applications succeed.

What do you classify as medium firms? mid-city firms are still very competitive.
Really not sure, it should be 'a just in case' thing. Applications are long and tedious especially if you're not that bothered about whether the applications succeed.

What do you classify as medium firms? mid-city firms are still very competitive.

I am bothered. Bad choice of words I guess. Firms like Eversheds, Memery Crystal, Bircham Dyson Bell and Taylor Wessing.

This also.

If I'm reading your application I'm half asleep by the second question, because I've just read it on the other 300 odd forms I've ploughed through today. Lawbots with decent grades and RG 2.1 are ten a penny, either show me you're startlingly bright or interesting.

When you're thinking of doing something ask yourself 'Will anyone else have done this'? And if the answer is 'yes, loads', it's obviously not going to make you stand out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending