The Student Room Group

Girls or boys? Who pays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abbflowers
Youre a joke

You need to find a blinged up pimp or dealer to keep you in stuff.
Reply 241
It depends on the age to be honest and the background of the person. If the guy comes from a poor background and the girl comes from a rich background, you can't expect the guy to pay for things. This ideology that guys have to pay for things comes from the past, where male breadwinners were traditional. But, times are changing and people earn different amounts of money regardless of their gender. The girl may have a job whilst the guy doesn't and if the guy still has to pay for things, you can see who is being selfish in this relationship.

To summarise: Traditionally, men used to earn more money and thats why they paid for things. Now Men and Women are equal in their earnings and In my opinion, should pay for things equally :smile:
Original post by Old_Simon
You need to find a blinged up pimp or dealer to keep you in stuff.

Ok..
Original post by Wildx
It depends on the age to be honest and the background of the person. If the guy comes from a poor background and the girl comes from a rich background, you can't expect the guy to pay for things. This ideology that guys have to pay for things comes from the past, where male breadwinners were traditional. But, times are changing and people earn different amounts of money regardless of their gender. The girl may have a job whilst the guy doesn't and if the guy still has to pay for things, you can see who is being selfish in this relationship.

To summarise: Traditionally, men used to earn more money and thats why they paid for things. Now Men and Women are equal in their earnings and In my opinion, should pay for things equally :smile:

Oh my goodness you are so off message :wink:
Original post by Top Queen
No actually, I have a problem more with men who CAN pay and won't. If someone doesn't have the money to pay then it isn't really their fault, but then I'd have to always pay and I don't feel as a female I should.

Why shouldn't you just because your female?

You do realise it's the 21st century? Women are actually able to work and earn money
Reply 245
Original post by DCFCfan4eva
Why shouldn't you just because your female?

You do realise it's the 21st century? Women are actually able to work and earn money

Men find things such as breasts attractive in a woman, I know men who won't date a woman with certain size breasts. I'm the same, I won't date a man who can't pay.
Original post by doctordee
I have read every single post in this thread and I'm actually embarssed to find the amount of POOR and BROKE boys on here. Boys who are even willing to let a girl pay for them on the first date.

im a girl and I've seen some of these posts and it's quite frank that many of these girls are jealous of the Op. I am too, my boyfriend is similar but just not as good. He used to pay for everything but recently pays for nothing, he's started being broke, he sounds like most of you men here,
Some of you sound angry and bitter, but truth is, your life is probably ****, you can't even afford to pa for a girl when you go out, someone said they ALways spilt,

I thought my boyfriend was bad but after seeing this I'm glad I've got mine.

Op. I think you're lucky but maybe pay for some things more. Although y our ratio is pretty fair tbh more than I pay anyway,

And when you die alone remember that I'll be laughing over here :smile:
I definitely think share it out. That's what I do with my girlfriend and we're both happy with that, she doesn't list spending lots of money on her for one of the requirements in our relationship though, so I guess things might be different...
Only a few times has my boyfriend every bought me a drink, the first time he offered (we weren't going out then) I told him I always buy my own and he's nearly always stuck with that. Same for food, just pay our own and split the bill equally
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
You can't divide by two in your head?

Seriously?

Also, "you invited so you should pay" is just a cop-out as men are expected to initiate/invite.

Got an A in maths but I can't divide decimals in my head lmao...
Also, I never said, "you invited so you should pay". I said, "In my past experiences, the guy has always paid for the first date, usually because he initiated it". Not that I've had much experience but it certainly isn't a cop out and I always offer to pay my share to which they say no, they insist on paying for everything...which is completely fine, it's not as if I'm forcing them to pay for the date or putting any pressure on them. It's just nice if they're willing to pay for you even after you've offered to at least help out a bit.
On the issue of initiating/inviting, if I initiated the date I would happily pay, especially if the guy isn't familiar with where we're going as he wouldn't know what the price range is. However, as I said before, I've never paid for the first date because I've never asked any guys out, they've always asked me (which is a whole other issue with who should ask who out, should guys be the ones to chase girls etc).
Reply 250
We live in an equal community. I'm guessing that the girls who think guys should pay would dump their boyfriends because he has no money to spend on her. If that happens, then quite a few guys won't want to date you. There is a fine line between being a gentleman and paying for everything.
Reply 251
The entitlement in this thread :laugh:. Guys should read this thread in order to realise that paying for girls on dates could land them with someone as horrendous as the OP or some of the other posters here. It's completely counterintuitive for a guy to cover the bill if he's looking for a proper relationship.
Reply 252
I prefer to go half and half if I can, I don't want to feel like I owe anything, or that I'm using a guy. Although I've had guys deliberately tell me my half of the bill is less than what it is, and then they'd add more in, so they end up paying the bigger share to 'retain their manliness.'
My mummy pays for everything. :biggrin:
Reply 254
I see all these posts from guys saying they would never pay on the first date... Don't you feel cheap? Let's say you're the one asking the girl out, would you still expect her to pay half? I personally, would never ever date a guy who didn't pay on the first date (no, money is not an issue), but it feels really weird having a guy ask me out for dinner and then expect me to pay. Really weird. Of course, I would offer either way.

I guess I just have a different mentality because I'm actually not from the UK. Where I come from, it's kind of expected.
(Talking about first dates)
Both.

I will sometimes offer to pay for a first date (almost every time if I asked), but I also find it quite easy to spot girls who feel it's their entitlement to be paid for, against those who variously find it awkward, consider it a nice gesture, say thank you, offer to pay for something else, say they'll pay on the second date, any number of different behaviours that don't scream 'entitlement'.

I don't bother with second dates with entitled girls. If someone's just going to flop around and expect someone else to pay, I imagine she's as useless at everything else in life and has little personal ambition, and is therefore wholly unsuitable as a long-term partner.

In any healthy long-term relationship I've been in, we haven't really kept track of who paid for what, but there's been a split of some kind.
I pay for nearly everything and I'm the girl. Saying that he pays the mortgage so I can't moan!

First date we went half and half. I didnt expect him to pay but I did expect him to offer. Apparently a girk he works with told him girls dont like boys to offer because it makes them seem old fashioned. Ive always wanted to thabk her for that.....
But seriously I was more than happy to do 50:50. We're not fussed by money and now we have the house everything balances out. All the money is shared because everything we do is shared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I think both should pay for things, sometimes girls expect boys to pay for everything and b an endless pit of money and that ain't right our fair... :fuhrer::yes:
Reply 258
Original post by Abbflowers

If you don't have the pockets to feed a girl with an expensive taste, keep living your **** life with no money with your broke relationship and stay in poverty! Some people aren't meant to make it past Being in poverty or average anyway

for all the boys a bout to respond a nd lie and say your rich, really. any rich to wukd be more than willing to pay for a girl. Simply as. You're broke and it burns, fair enough, Noones stopping you fro. Enjoying your life, enjoy the broke life while some enjoy the rich.

Hahaha, wow. Just wow. Can barely stop laughing... :biggrin:

Maybe one day you'll grow up and realise money can't buy happiness, but from the looks of it I wouldn't count on that happening before you're 60 or so.

I will never care about anything you write, and you will never care about anything I write, so why am I even trying? Oh well. Have a good life.
Reply 259
Original post by Abigail Tompsett
Well I think both should pay for things, sometimes girls expect boys to pay for everything and b an endless pit of money and that ain't right our fair... :fuhrer::yes:

Exactly!!!! I completely and utterly agree! Some girls on here seem so entitled, the OP even comes out with girls deserve 'better in this world' or something. When asked why having a vagina means women have a right to men paying for them, OP responds 'because I said so.' :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending