The Student Room Group

Girlfriend turned vegan - do we have to break up??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suedonim
You are not respecting her decision, you want her to change for you.

Vegan meals can and should include protein in the form e.g of pulses, tofu, quorn, nut butters, soy and almond milks.

Buy her a copy of a good cookbook, maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Protein-Vegan-Hearty-Desserts/dp/1480084549

Tell her you need more protein.

If you really want to break up do so, don't pretend it's because of the food

Not really. She changed, and he isn't sure he's happy about it. And it's not that he wants her to eat meat - she's not exactly compromising by refusing to touch it. No one will make her eat it.
It's not just about protein, it's also about taste and as OP said, he is a 'meat eater'.
It's unfair to accuse him of using the food as an excuse.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I agree :smile: it sounds like a ridiculous thing to break up over. But the current situation just feels really unfair as I am contributing so much more to our household.

I will have to have a proper talk with her about this.

If you feel she isn't contributing end the relationship. You can't have the benefits of working less and having your lifestyle topped up by your partner's hard work but refusing to compromise and help them out on things - and it's not just over this but more indicative of how she may be about other issues in the future. If you want something and she doesn't it doesn't seem like she'll be helping you out with it.
Reply 22
break up
and why does she have to cook
geez
Original post by Mebeat
break up
and why does she have to cook
geez

Because he work full time while she works part time. I'd assume he's paying a larger majority of their shared expenses, and she is at home more while he is at work more. So it makes sense that she'd do more of the household chores.
There's no need to make something into a feminist issue when it's not, an equal split of chores makes sense if they're doing equal amount of work etc.
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
---

(Writing this anon. in case my girlfriend recognises me)

OP, I think if she reads this, she's going to know you wrote this...
Reply 25
Original post by suedonim

Vegan meals can and should include protein in the form e.g of pulses, tofu, quorn, nut butters, soy and almond milks.

Quorn products aren't vegan as they contain egg (and some also contain milk).
Either put her in her place telling her to cook you meals with real meat not vegan meat stuff aka fake meat since you support her life style since she basically does nothing, tell her to get a proper full time job or just dump her, your the man grow a pair and tell her to do what you want
At the weekend, when you're not working, prepare a load of meals for yourself for the week and freeze them to microwave for your meals during the week. You might save some money this way too... You could do a big bolognese and freeze portions which you could then add beans and chilli to and have with rice if you don't fancy spag bol. You could also make casseroles and currys with meat and freeze portions. You could probably do meals to last a few weeks like this.
Reply 28
Break up, she'll hurt your gains one way or another.
I don't see what the problem in breaking up is.

You'll have to do the cooking yourself anyway if you break up, but at least you won't have to spend money for someone else to not make the food that you want. If you're unhappy with how she is treating you, then you may as well leave. It's a matter of principle really.
Original post by BeyondGroovey
Yeah you have to break up, there is no way a vegan and a non vegan can be in a normal relationship together, it's unheard of. Sorry I'm the one telling you thins but you have to break up with her, you really don't have another option :frown: :s-smilie: :/( Sorry)

Apology accepted, sheesh.

Cute how you repeated sorry :colondollar:
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Apology accepted, sheesh.

Cute how you repeated sorry :colondollar:

BUT I WASN'T APOLOGISING TO YOU :frown:
I was trying to come off as a bit sarcastic and smart but it didn't work :frown: :frown:
Instead it looks cute :frown: :frown:
Reply 32
you're basically breaking up with her because she's getting in the way of your gains.

good man
When you have time off work, cook your meals in bulk. You can make beef stews etc and put them in the freezer. So when you come back from work, all you have to do is defrost and reheat accordingly.
BUT I WASN'T APOLOGISING TO YOU :frown:
I was trying to come off as a bit sarcastic and smart but it didn't work :frown: :frown:
Instead it looks cute :frown: :frown:

Did you just change your username?!

Is this Mishaal?
Original post by itsn0b0dy
you're basically breaking up with her because she's getting in the way of your gains.

good man

How is that good? Dumping his girlfriend because he wants to bulk up is ridiculous. He'll still have to cook for himself if he dumped her.

You'll probably end up all alone, and end up dating your biceps and pecs hm?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Did you just change your username?!

Is this Mishaal?

Loool yeaaah it is, why, haha?

I made a new account, yeah.
She's being daft/selfish in not even being prepared to cook meat for you, especially as she must be aware of your bodybuilding and requirement for protein. I totally understand that you don't want to be cooking when you get home from work, too. As you've been arguing for three weeks already I presume you've already put these points across to her, so how about saying that fine, you'll cook your own meals in the week, but you'll stop helping out at weekends so that you can still have some time off for yourself to relax? I know it's not ideal, but if she won't budge on cooking meat for you it's probably either that or leaving her.

My other half has just chipped in that you could go to the gym before work instead, maybe (and have more time to cook afterwards)? (He's also quite the gym bunny and goes before work himself)
Reply 38
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
How is that good? Dumping his girlfriend because he wants to bulk up is ridiculous. He'll still have to cook for himself if he dumped her. You'll probably end up all alone, and end up dating your biceps and pecs hm?
more often a tub of protein.pfft who needs girls anyway :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Loool yeaaah it is, why, haha?

I made a new account, yeah.

I was pretty sure yesterday your account name was hi Im here

You activist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending