The Student Room Group

Calling all uni and sixth form students!!!!!: Questions for my EP

Hey guys! Firstly THANK YOU for clicking on this thread even if you don't really know what its about! I should probably explain what I'm doing right now.

For my EP or Extended Project I am writing an educational magazine written by young people for young people. Every single element of it will have been produced by me from the writing to the photos, ranging from student cookery, fears about university, a level troubles, the Oxbridge debate etc. So here is where YOU come in. I need you all to tell me your experiences about these things and your opinions because without you this project will be nothing! So here are my first couple of questions to start off with:

What were your fears and anxieties about going to university initially? what are they now for the future?

Is university a worthwhile investment these days and why?

Oxbridge: Long established institutions of academic excellence or universities in need of change? tell me what you think! Are you applying? if not why not?

One thing that no one tells you about before you go to university

Your university experience summed up in 5 words or less

How did you adjust to university life?

What do you people want from education these days?

Thank you soooo much for this guys!!!! please give as much detail as you can and if you give your first name, age and uni if you go then I can quote you! (only for this project I promise) Will ask more soon so keep checking :biggrin:
Original post by treefrog
Hey guys! Firstly THANK YOU for clicking on this thread even if you don't really know what its about! I should probably explain what I'm doing right now.

For my EP or Extended Project I am writing an educational magazine written by young people for young people. Every single element of it will have been produced by me from the writing to the photos, ranging from student cookery, fears about university, a level troubles, the Oxbridge debate etc. So here is where YOU come in. I need you all to tell me your experiences about these things and your opinions because without you this project will be nothing! So here are my first couple of questions to start off with:

What were your fears and anxieties about going to university initially? what are they now for the future?

I think at first it was whether I'd meet people I'd get on with and make friends. Luckily, I slipped into a good friendship group on my corridor in halls. My fears for the future now are about whether I'll get good grades and whether I'm revising enough. I'm also worried that my CV lacks any real work experience, and still haven;t planned anything for this summer.

It completely depends on what course you study. There are many courses that aren't a wise investment money-wise, and 3 years spent in employment would be better. Nonetheless, a good degree can still help you climb far and gain access to jobs exclusive to graduates. Furthermore, I don't see university purely as a financial investment. University is also about the experience - being able to study a subject you really enjoy in depth with access to expert academics. Plus, you get to live with people similar to you and can find people with the same interests.

Oxbridge: Long established institutions of academic excellence or universities in need of change? tell me what you think! Are you applying? if not why not?

To answer the first of these questions, why not both? Oxford and Cambridge know they constantly need to change, and have come along perhaps more than any university in the past 50 years, from old stuffy institutions catering for upper-class young men to some of the most meritocratic institutions in the world. The universities are continuing to evolve and adapt to the modern world, while keeping in touch with their traditions. As to the second questions, I did apply and now study at Cambridge. :tongue:

Everything you could ever want to know about uni is freely available if you look for it.

S'alright

I don't feel it took all that much adjusting, but then I still barely do any proper cooking. I quickly learnt to prioritise what to study, though. You can't learn everything, but luckily don't have to!

'You people'? :tongue: I just want the experience, really. A 2.1 or better would be nice too.

Thank you soooo much for this guys!!!! please give as much detail as you can and if you give your first name, age and uni if you go then I can quote you! (only for this project I promise) Will ask more soon so keep checking :biggrin:

Answers in bold in the quote.

I'm 19 and study at Cambridge (see my profile). My real name is a closely guarded secret known only to those who know me personally or are willing to go about 10 posts back on my visitor messages.

If you want me to expand on any of my answers, quote me.
Reply 2
Original post by PythianLegume
Answers in bold in the quote.

I'm 19 and study at Cambridge (see my profile). My real name is a closely guarded secret known only to those who know me personally or are willing to go about 10 posts back on my visitor messages.

If you want me to expand on any of my answers, quote me.

Thank you this is exactly what I needed! Please feel free to give more detail on any of them you like but dw if you don't have time! :smile:
Reply 3
Ok guys next questions coming up. If you're at uni, what's your budget for shopping per week? The one thing you can't live without? Your experience of having to but things for yourselves now? Your diet? What, if anything should be done to help students settle into uni better?
Reply 4
Original post by treefrog

Initially it was which course and uni should I pick, would I enjoy the course and uni or not, will I get accepted in my chosen unis or not.

Now fears are whether I will get the grades to go to my chosen university? What will the people be like? How different is uni life to school life

Yes and No.
Yes because nowadays there are hardly any jobs out there that pay well without a good degree. It gives you a back up even if you don't pursue a career in your chosen degree subject. Knowledge is key. You are never too old to learn. The experience you gain in uni, you can't gain anywhere else.
No because spending £9000 alone on tuition fees JUST in the first year and then having to pay back maintenance loan on top of that. You will basically be in debt your whole life! Is it even worth it? There are many people who didn't go to uni yet have a success career.
For example; Bill Gates

Yes undoubtedly they are excellent unis.
No not applying as entry requirements are way too high and unrealistic.

N/A

N/A

N/A

I believe education should give you knowledge and understanding of the world and the things in it. It should allow you to get a better job than someone who hasn't bothered to educate themselves. Education should give me the key to success.

Currently in college so can't answer some of the questions. Sorry don't feel comfortable with giving details online.
Hope it helps
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending