The Student Room Group

Macroeconomics

Im currently doing AS Economics (OCR Board)

I really need help in starting my revision for Macro.
I find Micro pretty straight forward (excpet for the essays) but I'm totally lost for Macroeconomics.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
What does the IS curve show? Why? What does the LM curve show? Why?

You need to understand these bits really, really well.
Reply 3
Original post by cole-slaw
What does the IS curve show? Why? What does the LM curve show? Why?

You need to understand these bits really, really well.

Whats IS and LM? :\
Reply 4
Surely A-level economics covers the ISLM?

If not I apologise, I do not know what is on the syllabus.

Original post by umieee
Whats IS and LM? :\
Reply 5

I don't think so. or maybe I've learnt it as something else
Reply 6

I'm doing AS + I did GCSE + do a fair amount of reading and have never come across this.

AS macro is focussed around AS/AD + macro goals and policies
Reply 7
Original post by umieee
I don't think so. or maybe I've learnt it as something else

Have you learnt about interest rates and savings?
Reply 8
Original post by itsn0b0dy
I'm doing AS + I did GCSE + do a fair amount of reading and have never come across this.

The aggregate demand curve is normally derived from the ISLM... I wonder how you have approached it then
Reply 9
Original post by itsn0b0dy

What exam board you doing?
Reply 10
The aggregate demand curve is normally derived from the ISLM... I wonder how you have approached it then

They've just taught us the aggregate demand curve as it is, and the factors that affect the shifts to the curve.. no mention of ISLM
Now I want to know what ISLM is
Reply 12
Original post by umieee
They've just taught us the aggregate demand curve as it is, and the factors that affect the shifts to the curve.. no mention of ISLM

Oh right, so tell me why it is the shape it is (downward sloping) and what makes it move.
Reply 13
Original post by samthemiller
Now I want to know what ISLM is

Its two equations that represent equilibrium in different markets for certain levels of national output and interest rates.

The IS (Investment and Savings) curve shows the equilibrium in the real goods market, basically if interest rates go down, then it is cheaper to borrow money so companies borrow more money to invest, so the national output goes up. So it is a downward sloping line.

The LM (Liquidity and Money Supply) curve shows the equilibrium in the money markets, basically if national output goes up, then people need more money to hand so they save less and interest rates go up to compensate. So it is an upward sloping line.

Together they make a cross. The middle of the cross is the equilibrium point of the economy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Oh right, so tell me why it is the shape it is (downward sloping) and what makes it move.

We usually get a question and then apply it to the graph?
The AD/AS graph will always consist of the demand/supply curves,
and they can change according to the question..
Reply 15
Original post by umieee
We usually get a question and then apply it to the graph?
The AD/AS graph will always consist of the demand/supply curves,
and they can change according to the question..

I want to see if you understand it. Which line is which on an ADAS graph?
Reply 16
Original post by umieee
Im currently doing AS Economics (OCR Board)

I really need help in starting my revision for Macro.
I find Micro pretty straight forward (excpet for the essays) but I'm totally lost for Macroeconomics.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!:smile:

You have the OCR textbook I assume. I'm trying to remember off the top of my head what it covers, so bear with me. I suggest some of the most important things to make sure you've nailed are the 4 main economic indicators: inflation, unemployment, balance of payments and national income/national output/real GDP. Can you show these things on the AS/AD graph. Then do you know about the 3 types of policy, fiscal, monetary and supply-side. You've got to be able to discuss these, and use diagrams to illustrate them. You'll also need to learn the definitions.

The highest marks come from analysis and evaluation, so practice practice practice. The textbook and past papers should help you a lot. Ask your teachers questions if you need help, ask your friends and here on TSR. Good luck.
Reply 17
I want to see if you understand it. Which line is which on an ADAS graph?

The demand curve is downwards sloping and the supply curve is upwards sloping- diagonally. The point at where they meet is the equilibrium, and the points of here would be the price and quantity demanded and supplied.
Reply 18
Original post by Pride
You have the OCR textbook I assume. I'm trying to remember off the top of my head what it covers, so bear with me. I suggest some of the most important things to make sure you've nailed are the 4 main economic indicators: inflation, unemployment, balance of payments and national income/national output/real GDP. Can you show these things on the AS/AD graph. Then do you know about the 3 types of policy, fiscal, monetary and supply-side. You've got to be able to discuss these, and use diagrams to illustrate them. You'll also need to learn the definitions.

The highest marks come from analysis and evaluation, so practice practice practice. The textbook and past papers should help you a lot. Ask your teachers questions if you need help, ask your friends and here on TSR. Good luck.

I know like bits and bops, and really worried about the 18 mark essay at the end because it could be on anything! But thankyou! I'l go through the 4 main indicators and then work on demand and supply side policies..
Reply 19
Original post by umieee
The demand curve is downwards sloping and the supply curve is upwards sloping- diagonally. The point at where they meet is the equilibrium, and the points of here would be the price and quantity demanded and supplied.

The price level, yes. Its not a specific price because its aggeregate demand and supply.

Why is the supply curve upward sloping? What does that tell you?

Quick Reply

Latest