The Student Room Group

Electronic Engineering - Which Uni?

Confused at to what to put for my firm and insurance choices on UCAS. I applied to:
- Surrey (Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology)
- Sussex (Electrical and Electronic Engineering)
- Loughborough (Electronic and Electrical Engineering)
- Sheffield ((Electronic Engineering)
- York (Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology)

I currently live in London/Kent

So far I'm almost certain that I want to put Surrey as my firm, however I am not as sure with what to put for my insurance. I'm least keen on Sussex and Loughborough which leaves me between Sheffield and York.

At Sheffield there seems to be quite a lot of clubs around, with a lot to do during the night so I won't get bored. Also, I plan on DJing more when I go to uni, so this might have more opportunities for me. Being to York, I know that it is a really nice area, safe, friendly etc, however I'm not sure I'll stay entertained whilst there. There doesn't seem to be a lot of night life there, and not a lot of clubs that play dance music. I do love literally love a whole load of different types of music, but with what I want to be doing, I can't exactly DJ jazz music. That's the other thing with Surrey, there are only two main local nightclubs that I know of, one on campus and one in Guildford. I'm not sure on the DJ opportunities that I'll have whilst there either.

One of the reasons that I prefer York to Sheffield is the course. I'm quite into my music, and the course seems to be around a lot of music technology which is something that interests me. The benefit of Sheffield is that it's much closer and seems a bit more livelier.

During my time at uni I would still like to have a balance between going out, chilling meeting some nice new people who aren't too wild, experiencing some new things etc. The typical uni life I guess.

My question really is which uni, York or Sheffield, will be a better choice to put as my insurance? Is Surrey also right for me?
Reply 1
Original post by MrKlaus
Confused at to what to put for my firm and insurance choices on UCAS. I applied to:
- Surrey (Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology)
- Sussex (Electrical and Electronic Engineering)
- Loughborough (Electronic and Electrical Engineering)
- Sheffield ((Electronic Engineering)
- York (Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology)

I currently live in London/Kent

So far I'm almost certain that I want to put Surrey as my firm, however I am not as sure with what to put for my insurance. I'm least keen on Sussex and Loughborough which leaves me between Sheffield and York.

At Sheffield there seems to be quite a lot of clubs around, with a lot to do during the night so I won't get bored. Also, I plan on DJing more when I go to uni, so this might have more opportunities for me. Being to York, I know that it is a really nice area, safe, friendly etc, however I'm not sure I'll stay entertained whilst there. There doesn't seem to be a lot of night life there, and not a lot of clubs that play dance music. I do love literally love a whole load of different types of music, but with what I want to be doing, I can't exactly DJ jazz music. That's the other thing with Surrey, there are only two main local nightclubs that I know of, one on campus and one in Guildford. I'm not sure on the DJ opportunities that I'll have whilst there either.

One of the reasons that I prefer York to Sheffield is the course. I'm quite into my music, and the course seems to be around a lot of music technology which is something that interests me. The benefit of Sheffield is that it's much closer and seems a bit more livelier.

During my time at uni I would still like to have a balance between going out, chilling meeting some nice new people who aren't too wild, experiencing some new things etc. The typical uni life I guess.

My question really is which uni, York or Sheffield, will be a better choice to put as my insurance? Is Surrey also right for me?

I'd personally say that Sheffield is better than York, not only due to the social aspects, but because of how flexible the course is.
Reply 2
Original post by 391iady
I'd personally say that Sheffield is better than York, not only due to the social aspects, but because of how flexible the course is.

The course is flexible in what way?
Reply 3
Original post by MrKlaus
The course is flexible in what way?

As in you have an extremely large amount of choice on which modules to do.

Quick Reply

Latest