The Student Room Group

Somalia to be the 7th largest oil producer in the world

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Umar1
Oh it is, that shouldn't be taken as indication that it governs itself as part of Somalia or takes its orders from Mogadishu though. Puntland is as independent of Mogadishu as Somaliland. The only difference is Somaliland is seeking international recognition as an independent country.

The federal government is trying to improve its relations with Puntland, while at the same time they are trying to tempt Somaliland away from seeking international recognition. So they are neutral in this territory dispute between Puntland and Somaliland, an area which is said to contain oil.

Don't think somaliland will be tempted into any unison with Somalia ever again. Somaliland is probably the only democratic like nation (de facto) in the horn of African. A place in which to its east there's a dictatorship, to the north dictatorship and to south a government that has just been able to take back the capital with the aid of 22,000 AMISOM soldiers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by ismaelkonge
Don't think somaliland will be tempted into any unison with Somalia ever again. Somaliland is probably the only democratic like nation (de facto) in the horn of African. A place in which to its east there's a dictatorship, to the north dictatorship and to south a government that has just been able to take back the capital with the aid of 22,000 AMISOM soldiers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It may not be tempted in to a union again, but I doubt it will become independent any time soon. Even if some day the Government in Mogadishu agrees to let them go, it will most likely be on the condition that they do not take the disputed territories (the place in which there is said to be oil). They only control a few cities in that area and the inhabitants are overwhelmingly pro unionists. Somaliland has even been caught transporting people from other parts of Somaliland to that area in order to stage independence day celebrations.

I don't think you should let the democracy of Somaliland that you see in articles fool you. Unemployment is higher in Somaliland then in the Puntland region of Somalia, more people want to leave Somaliland (human trafficking) then in Puntland, higher drugs usage etc. It still has many, many problems.

The recent negotiations in Turkey have resulted in the Federal government in Mogadishu sending some of the aid it receives to Somaliland, as well as sharing and administrating together a single airspace.

It is a fact that one of the biggest reasons Somaliland is peaceful is because of its stable neighbours, Puntland, Djibouti and Ethiopia. It is even likely that it will go to war with Puntland over those disputed regions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lovedealer
British Firm BP to Explore Somalia Billions of Oil Barrels

British oil giant British Petroleum signed concessions with the Petrol Department for the Somali Federal Republic to explore oil and gas in the war raven East African nation.

Intelligence reports existence of significantly large oil deposits in Somalia which could change global prices if tapped.

The Somali shores of Indian Ocean could be having some of the worlds largest oil deposits.

Experts geographical assessments point out billions of oil barrels are reserved untapped in Somalia.

Intelligence collected by Strategic Intelligence shows Somali Puntland province has 10bn barrels of oil reserves, making one of the top 20 countries holding oil.

A company that drilled wells in Puntland estimate 4bn barrels (about $500bn worth at today’s prices) in its two discoveries in Somalia.

If drilled, Somali oil would flood the market beating countries like Nigeria and Kuwait to make Somalia the 7th largest oil producer in the world.

WOW :eek:

If true watch how quickly the United States becomes interested in resolving the civil conflicts and establishing a reasonably stable (if not democratic) regime there.
Reply 23
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
If true watch how quickly the United States becomes interested in resolving the civil conflicts and establishing a reasonably stable (if not democratic) regime there.

Doubtful. They already tried once.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Doubtful. They already tried once.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, got a good movie out of it to boot, but if it's oil then lives mean very little to big bucks. :P

Cynical I know but vaguely accurate.
I don't think that becoming the 7th largest producer of something can count as flooding the market.
I think we all know who is REALLY going to benefit from all this.
Reply 27
WOW
This is good news but if not handled correctly, it will cause more problems.
Reply 29
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

That would be good if there was a single army and government to remove and replace (arguably Somalia would be better off) but with the current situation it'll just be somewhere we'd get tied down so not a good idea.
Original post by Umar1
It may not be tempted in to a union again, but I doubt it will become independent any time soon. Even if some day the Government in Mogadishu agrees to let them go, it will most likely be on the condition that they do not take the disputed territories (the place in which there is said to be oil). They only control a few cities in that area and the inhabitants are overwhelmingly pro unionists. Somaliland has even been caught transporting people from other parts of Somaliland to that area in order to stage independence day celebrations.

I don't think you should let the democracy of Somaliland that you see in articles fool you. Unemployment is higher in Somaliland then in the Puntland region of Somalia, more people want to leave Somaliland (human trafficking) then in Puntland, higher drugs usage etc. It still has many, many problems.

The recent negotiations in Turkey have resulted in the Federal government in Mogadishu sending some of the aid it receives to Somaliland, as well as sharing and administrating together a single airspace.

It is a fact that one of the biggest reasons Somaliland is peaceful is because of its stable neighbours, Puntland, Djibouti and Ethiopia. It is even likely that it will go to war with Puntland over those disputed regions.

The Federal government has no control in determining the borders of Somaliland. These borders were established when Somaliland became the first independent Somali sovereign state. This was before the Somali Republic was made. It's like saying the borders of Scotland are going to be changed by the British. Somaliland when into a UNION with Italian Somaliland. Somaliland lived as a sovereign state, The Republic of Somaliland, whereas Italian Somaliland was still more or less a colony.
Puntland is not stable region of Somalia as this is predominantly where all Somalian pirates come from. If count this as a job then of course Puntland has a higher employment levels than Somaliland. Ethiopia and Djibouti are dictator states and we all know that they won't last.
These so called pro unionists are the minority of a clan who want to be part of Puntland as it's a one clan enclave. If there are so many unionist, then why was the referendum in 2001 for independence at a staggering 97.3%?
Also, these so called disputed areas that Puntland militias come into are areas that are within the pre union borders of Somaliland ImageUploadedByStudent Room1397833927.159027.jpg
The talks between the both governments have more or less ended. The human trafficking is more prevalent in Somalia, a place where people are running from war.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Indian Ocean = Indian oil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Indian Ocean = Indian oil.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a joke... right?
Reply 33
Original post by TheLionHearted
This is a joke... right?

Of course. Why do they call it the INDIAN ocean if the ocean isn't INDIAN?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I own lot's of land in somaliland

Hopefully this mess is sorted quickly so we can fix our land.
Good luck they'll take your oil and make a few people in government rich.
Do we actually have a link for this claim?
Original post by Divide N Rule
Good luck they'll take your oil and make a few people in government rich.

My land's not in mogadishu or any war torn part. It's in the thriving developing north and the main capital Hargeysa. It's seeking recognition, yes! but in the meantime everyone's investing in their plots opening up businesses and building the country slowly. http://youtu.be/fCUVdZtnD7M

The land's been part of my family for 10 generations, so what makes you think I'm going to make some government officials rich while I sit back watching Eastenders and taking selfies for Insagram?.

I've read some excellent points on here and read historical article's my father used to talk about but most of you are slightly ignorant to what's really going on.

Hopefully the South will sort out it's mess so the whole region thrives.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Do we actually have a link for this claim?

Haha that's the problem with forum's. Everything's based on sending evidence of a particular quote or a source via a link. I have my legal documents and my family is very well known very much respected by the people of the government.

Like I said hopefully this mess is sorted quickly so we can fix our land.
Original post by RightfullyMine
Haha that's the problem with forum's. Everything's based on sending evidence of a particular quote or a source via a link. I have my legal documents and my family is very well known very much respected by the people of the government.

Like I said hopefully this mess is sorted quickly so we can fix our land.

More interested in the claim that Somalia would be the 7th largest oil producer.

Aware of oil exploration in Somalia, but not the 7th largest reserves in the world.

That would put it head of Russia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending