The Student Room Group

Leeds v bristol

i need to choose between bristol and leeds uni. whilst bristol is probably more prestigious and has great graduate prospects, i love leeds campus and think its social scene is great. Bristol seems a bit more pretentious with all the rich kids there and i dont know whether i would fit in or have as much fun, but then is a degree from Bristol seen as better than one from Leeds? both seem good for my course - history. any advice about anyones experiences at either would be great. thanks
Reply 1
Studied at Leeds. Absolutely fabulous in every respect. As you say great campus. Yorkshire dales nearby.

Live near Bristol now. Can't say anything about the uni but the city is not half as stylish.

Leeds is a prestigious uni. Clearly you need to weigh up courses etc, but I would strongly recommend Leeds
Reply 2
There are rich kids in Bristol, some are pretentious but none that I met were. If you go for cheaper halls of residence the chances of you meeting these pretentious types are reduced. The city is great, it has all you need, not too big not too small. If you want to get away from everything you can be out in the Somerset country side in a few minutes.
Reply 3
Wow let's not stereotype a whole city, by that reasoning Leeds is an inbred mire.

Bristol is definitely better in all ways. Prospects, city etc. no contest and I don't even need to be biased

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
im not stereotyping - ive visited bristol uni and the majority seem like theyre all rich kids from private schools. leeds just seems a bit more down to earth and has a more friendly atmosphere
Reply 5
Original post by prer123
im not stereotyping - ive visited bristol uni and the majority seem like theyre all rich kids from private schools. leeds just seems a bit more down to earth and has a more friendly atmosphere

that is the very definition of stereotyping there..
tbh with such an abhorrent attitude maybe you should stay away.
pray tell; did you manage to speak to and get to know the 'majority' there? doubt it.

p.s. not a private school kid; but not judgmental.
[QUOTE="marinaim;47199660"]that is the very definition of stereotyping there..
pray tell; did you manage to speak to and get to know the 'majority' there? doubt it.

p.s. not a private school kid; but not judgmental.[/QUOTE

well i think when you go to a certain place you get a feel for it and the atmosphere. And at Bristol whilst it seemed relaxed i just didnt really like the feel of it and didnt think it was all that friendly. with leeds though it was very vibrant and welcoming and maybe that has something to do with the type of people the universities attract and what sort of environment that creates. im not saying everyone from bristol is a posh snob whos stuck up, but i think you've got to weigh up how well you might fit in to a place. i know people who have gone to bristol and struggled to settle in because of this. thats all im saying no reason to get in a stress :smile:
[QUOTE="Anonymous;47199779"]
Original post by marinaim
that is the very definition of stereotyping there..

p.s. not a private school kid; but not judgmental.[/QUOTE

well i think when you go to a certain place you get a feel for it and the atmosphere. And at Bristol whilst it seemed relaxed i just didnt really like the feel of it and didnt think it was all that friendly. with leeds though it was very vibrant and welcoming and maybe that has something to do with the type of people the universities attract and what sort of environment that creates. im not saying everyone from bristol is a posh snob whos stuck up, but i think you've got to weigh up how well you might fit in to a place. i know people who have gone to bristol and struggled to settle in because of this. thats all im saying no reason to get in a stress :smile:

Well it seems like your mind was already made up before you even made the thread...Leeds is a good uni, however I think Bristol has the edge but honestly, a first from Leeds is probably better than a a 2.1 from Bristol. Best to go to the uni that you think you'll have a better time at. But, Bristol does have its fair share of posh snobs (but most of the top unis do, no?) but uni is such a big place that even if you don't get along with them you don't have to put up with them. That's the beauty of it. Uni is what you make of it, regardless of what the majority of people are like.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous

[QUOTE="InadequateJusticex;47199869"]

Well it seems like your mind was already made up before you even made the thread...Leeds is a good uni, however I think Bristol has the edge but honestly, a first from Leeds is probably better than a a 2.1 from Bristol. Best to go to the uni that you think you'll have a better time at. But, Bristol does have its fair share of posh snobs (but most of the top unis do, no?) but uni is such a big place that even if you don't get along with them you don't have to put up with them. That's the beauty of it. Uni is what you make of it, regardless of what the majority of people are like.

Still think it's better to go to uni with an open mind rather than pre-developed ideas. I went to Bristol with absolutely no idea about it :cool:
[QUOTE="marinaim;47199977"]
Original post by InadequateJusticex

Still think it's better to go to uni with an open mind rather than pre-developed ideas. I went to Bristol with absolutely no idea about it :cool:

but you get ideas about the uni on the open day, how else are you supposed to know if you like it or if you can see yourself there?
Reply 10

but you get ideas about the uni on the open day, how else are you supposed to know if you like it or if you can see yourself there?

I dunno, I personally never subscribed to this idea of visiting unis and seeing where one fits in because tbh I'm there for the education so reputation and quality was more important really.
Original post by marinaim
I dunno, I personally never subscribed to this idea of visiting unis and seeing where one fits in because tbh I'm there for the education so reputation and quality was more important really.

fair enough that is important no doubt but i wonder weather spending 3 years of your life somewhere that you realise you dont actually like in the end would be such a waste of what could have been the best years of your life. i suppose if you take that approach you could get lucky and love it but it could equally go the other way no matter how good the education is.
Reply 12
fair enough that is important no doubt but i wonder weather spending 3 years of your life somewhere that you realise you dont actually like in the end would be such a waste of what could have been the best years of your life. i suppose if you take that approach you could get lucky and love it but it could equally go the other way no matter how good the education is.

true, but as above uni is what you make of it not what it makes of you.
Reply 13
Come to Leeds! Maybe I'll see you there. :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by prer123
i need to choose between bristol and leeds uni. whilst bristol is probably more prestigious and has great graduate prospects, i love leeds campus and think its social scene is great. Bristol seems a bit more pretentious with all the rich kids there and i dont know whether i would fit in or have as much fun, but then is a degree from Bristol seen as better than one from Leeds? both seem good for my course - history. any advice about anyones experiences at either would be great. thanks

I was in a similar situation to you but choosing between manchester and bristol for law. I got the same kind of feel about bristol as you especially in the law department but it you found it too I guess it's more wide spread. In the end I chose manchester as it is the place I felt I'd fit in more and a surrounding I'd work better in. So my advice would be pick leeds if you think you'd have a better time there it's 3 years of your life at the end of the day
Original post by RG14
I was in a similar situation to you but choosing between manchester and bristol for law. I got the same kind of feel about bristol as you especially in the law department but it you found it too I guess it's more wide spread. In the end I chose manchester as it is the place I felt I'd fit in more and a surrounding I'd work better in. So my advice would be pick leeds if you think you'd have a better time there it's 3 years of your life at the end of the day

thanks thats really helped, i guess i just need to trust my instincts! Manchester is an amazing place to live :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending