The Student Room Group

English lit - An inspector calls help!

Can anyone help me?

I'm trying to write an essay on how Priestley build sympathy for Eva Smith but I'm stuck.
So far I have :
1. The use of language when the Inspector describe Eva's death including Eva having been a pretty girl.
2. Mr Birling's response being business like and non-emotional
3. Comparison between Sheila and Eva - this is where I am struggling not sure how to expand this point?
4. Eva as a symbol for working class women everywhere and their struggle.

Thanks to anyone who can help!?
4.) Eva Smith. 'Eva' sounds like 'Eve' the first woman created, so Priestley could be referring to every woman, in addition 'Smith' is a widely popular name and was one of the biggest last names at the time, supporting that he was directing his message at every single woman in that class. - Eva was not a single woman, as the Inspector did not show any character the picture at the same time, indicating that he is showing different pictures, and also supports that he has supernatural powers to change the picture. He also strongly defends the picture and distracts the characters when they ask to see it.
Reply 2
Thanks I will us that. Do you have anything on how Priestley links Sheila and Eva (both young girls in their 20s) to draw out the difference or the audience.
Reply 3
Original post by lollypop22
Thanks I will us that. Do you have anything on how Priestley links Sheila and Eva (both young girls in their 20s) to draw out the difference or the audience.

I tried:

Priestley likens Eva Smith and Sheila to highlight the cruelty of the implications of social status. Eva and Sheila are both of similar ages, and without the element of social status in society, they would both have similar potential. However, this is not the case. Eva could have married a man like Gerald, she could have been 'pleased' with herself like Sheila, however instead she is mistreated maliciously by the upper classes and ends up horrifically committing suicide. Priestley does this to encourage sympathy towards this girl, demonstrating through Sheila that she could have become something due to her prettiness and hard-working ethics but the issue of social status ended in her downfall instead.
Reply 4
Original post by ColeNate
I tried:

Priestley likens Eva Smith and Sheila to highlight the cruelty of the implications of social status. Eva and Sheila are both of similar ages, and without the element of social status in society, they would both have similar potential. However, this is not the case. Eva could have married a man like Gerald, she could have been 'pleased' with herself like Sheila, however instead she is mistreated maliciously by the upper classes and ends up horrifically committing suicide. Priestley does this to encourage sympathy towards this girl, demonstrating through Sheila that she could have become something due to her prettiness and hard-working ethics but the issue of social status ended in her downfall instead.

That's really helpful. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest