The Student Room Group

I'm Bipolar - can i study medicine?!

Hi, basically i have an offer for medicine - however the uni has sent an occupational health form for me to fill out (fitness to practice).
I have Bipolar - I was diagnosed 2 years ago after having a 'manic' episode and suffering from depression afterwards. on the form is asks if you have a mental disorder such as Bipolar which i will have to tick as 'yes' and also if I have been under the care of a pychiatrist which i will have to tick 'yes' to also.

following my episodes i have been stable (on medication) and getting good grades for about 2 years and feel fully capable studying mendicine.

Will this mean my offer will now be withdrawn? im so scared and worried im going to lose my place and cannot study medicine anymore
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
No You Can't. I'm sorry you're going to have to be a toilet attendant in Lidl
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Xscape
No You Can't.

really!! are you saying that from knowing other people trying to apply or...
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous2202
really!! are you saying that from knowing other people trying to apply or...

I'm joking. I'm sure others will have the answer.
Reply 4
Original post by Xscape
I'm joking. I'm sure others will have the answer.

okay well phewwww, that just freaked the hell out of me!!! haha
Yes, hopefully other people with have the answer
Reply 5
Hi, basically i have an offer for medicine - however the uni has sent an occupational health form for me to fill out (fitness to practice).
I have Bipolar - I was diagnosed 2 years ago after having a 'manic' episode and suffering from depression afterwards. on the form is asks if you have a mental disorder such as Bipolar which i will have to tick as 'yes' and also if I have been under the care of a pychiatrist which i will have to tick 'yes' to also.

following my episodes i have been stable and getting good grades for about 2 years and feel fully capable studying mendicine.

Will this mean my offer will now be withdrawn? im so scared and worried im going to lose my place and cannot study medicine anymore

It should be fine. They want to know about these things so they can help you through your career :smile:
Reply 6
I see no reason why you cannot study seeing as I know of people in med school who have experienced similar issues, if you are stable I cannot see why it would cause a problem to you yourself in your studies and wont influence your fitness to practice in the future therefore I seriously doubt there are any grounds for denying you the right to take up a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
[Indent]I know of someone with bipolar who is reading for a doctorate in medicine. Of course you can! Best of luck.[/Indent]
Yes! They just need a bit of context, so in the future they could help you with anything related to it. They're not just going to reject you because you have bi-polar disorder
Reply 9
Yes. They're only asking so you can get the support you need while you're at uni.
Reply 10

Why are you bumping this thread? You've had quite a few responses all answering your question.
Plus you only posted it two hours ago!

following my episodes i have been stable (on medication) and getting good grades for about 2 years and feel fully capable studying mendicine.

I don't think they would withdraw your offer for that... As others have said, I think it's more about ensuring you have support you need etc.
Reply 13
Original post by elldeegee
Why are you bumping this thread? You've had quite a few responses all answering your question.
Plus you only posted it two hours ago!

manic depressive bipolar episode no doubt
Reply 15
Original post by martin jol
manic depressive bipolar episode no doubt

What's that supposed to mean? I'm not having an episode this is a genuine question

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's that supposed to mean? I'm not having an episode this is a genuine question

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've got the answer. If you don't trust it, then by all means email the universities concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my friend has bipolar and shes studying medicine all it means is that u need to attend some counselling sessions or something so that they can monitor that you are ok

Quick Reply

Latest