The Student Room Group

Excruciating Rib Pain

Two weeks ago my indoor sphinx cat escaped the back door. I immediately chased him down the garden, but at the bottom I slipped and fell onto the fence. The fence is about 4ft high. I fell on my side and my lower ribs hit off the fence with a little force.

I felt winded, but no real pain at first. The next morning it hurt and I left it a few days and the pain was there, but easing. But this past week it feels like it's gotten worse.

I've likely done to much and cause the muscle to swell. But it got even worse this morning when I went for a number 2 on the toilet. Excruciating agony in my rib.

I'm now left sitting upright and not able to move side to side without pain. I am immobilised. It hurts when I breath in deep, and when I breath deep I feel a clicking sort of feeling and horrible pain.

I was told not to bother going to ER or to the doctor because there is nothing they can do and won't even do an xray for it.

Has anyone had this sort of rib injury and how can I alleviate the pain? My little brother had a bike accident where he fell onto the handlebars. It took him a year for the pain to go away and another year for it to fully heal!
Reply 1
nah dude, you go straight to the ER. im a medstudent. Youve describle alot of common symptoms, that needs to be checked.
and you will most definitely get an x-ray. go asap, dont wait, im serious.
Reply 2
Original post by wishful
nah dude, you go straight to the ER. im a medstudent. Youve describle alot of common symptoms, that needs to be checked.
and you will most definitely get an x-ray. go asap, dont wait, im serious.

I will call NHS direct now.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I will call NHS direct now.

thats great, but i still prefer you to go to the ER. But im sure after talking to them, they will ask you to stop by anyway.
Goodluck
Reply 4
Original post by wishful
thats great, but i still prefer you to go to the ER. But im sure after talking to them, they will ask you to stop by anyway.
Goodluck

They said no to A&E they said it's unlikely they will xray but have told me because my doctors is closed to go to a walk in centre. I said "Wouldn't it be easier to go to A&E" and she said it's really no necessary given what I've explained but I would need to see a doctor within 6 hours just to check checked.

Off I trot to the walk in centre then.
Reply 5
Done. Pain meds and pain relief gel. I've likely tore the muscle and what not around the ribs.
Reply 6
Thanks for that @wishful :biggrin:
Anonymous?? Serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Done. Pain meds and pain relief gel. I've likely tore the muscle and what not around the ribs.

no prob, glad it all worked out. the doctors here at my medschool though, wouldve ordered an x-ray to just be on the safe side.. its crazy how yours didnt though.
Anyways, take it easy and becareful in the future.
Peacee!

Quick Reply

Latest