The Student Room Group

Has falling for your best/close friend ever worked out positively?

Just wondering,
did you end up together?
did you tell him/her and while they dont feel the same, carried on as normal and your friendship was spared?
Original post by Anonymous
Just wondering,
did you end up together?
did you tell him/her and while they dont feel the same, carried on as normal and your friendship was spared?

Two of my good mates who were really close friends (who knew each other for like 10 years beforehand) got together after they left uni 3 years ago and are together more or less happily. It can happen. It also sometimes does not work out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
bump.
Reply 3
Yes. It happened with me and my bf. We were close friends before going out and we started dating 5 yrs ago and now we are engaged, have our own flat and have cats :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a friend in primary school who I was quite close with. She and I went to different secondary schools. Used to hang out at each others place after school. Around year 12, she started liking me and so did I soon after. We did get together, it was a great feeling and super comfortable being bf/gf. We stayed together for about 2 and a bit years - then it ended badly. I thought it was going to work out in a super awesome way - sadly wasn't to be. We haven't spoken at all since the break up. Found out earlier this year that she's now married.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by superduper9
I had a friend in primary school who I was quite close with. She and I went to different secondary schools. Used to hang out at each others place after school. Around year 12, she started liking me and so did I soon after. We did get together, it was a great feeling and super comfortable being bf/gf. We stayed together for about 2 and a bit years - then it ended badly. I thought it was going to work out in a super awesome way - sadly wasn't to be. We haven't spoken at all since the break up. Found out earlier this year that she's now married.

Oh. Can I ask why? You don't have to go into a lot of detail.

I'm also in a relationship with my best friend and it's been more or less official for a couple of years now. We're not super happy all the time, but we're generally having fun together and I think it has an overall positive effect on both our lives :smile: That's in answer to the OP.
I think if we are going to break up, it will be because we have quite different plans for the future but I'm trying not to think about that until I have to.
Oh. Can I ask why? You don't have to go into a lot of detail.

I'm also in a relationship with my best friend and it's been more or less official for a couple of years now. We're not super happy all the time, but we're generally having fun together and I think it has an overall positive effect on both our lives :smile: That's in answer to the OP.
I think if we are going to break up, it will be because we have quite different plans for the future but I'm trying not to think about that until I have to.

We went to different unis. Everything was working fine until she cheated on me. That hurt - tried giving the relationship another shot, but in the end she left me for the other guy.

It sounds like you have a nice relationship - hope everything works out well for you :smile:
I spent years in love with one of my close friends. I knew it wouldn't work out, because she was straight and, with us both being female, she wouldn't ever feel the same way back. Despite this, she was the first person I came out to, she understood, was lovely about it, and we've remained good friends since. Nothing changed except for the fact that I didn't have to repress my feelings any more.
Reply 8
So is the general consensus that people were glad they got it off their chest, whatever the outome?
She told me..gave it a go and dated for 2 months.broke up.never spoke since... For me it didn't work. And lost a very close friend :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superduper9
We went to different unis. Everything was working fine until she cheated on me. That hurt - tried giving the relationship another shot, but in the end she left me for the other guy.

It sounds like you have a nice relationship - hope everything works out well for you :smile:

Wow. And now she's married?

Hopefully she's learned from that mistake...

Btw sorry to hear that :/
I feel myself falling for my bestfriend that I'm housemates with atm. They're really lovely - great personality, really attractive, and we get on great. IMO though, I don't think it'd work and don't really wanna go there. I love what we have already and i don't really wanna spoil that.
I feel myself falling for my bestfriend that I'm housemates with atm. They're really lovely - great personality, really attractive, and we get on great. IMO though, I don't think it'd work and don't really wanna go there. I love what we have already and i don't really wanna spoil that.

I swear half the threads on relationships are made cause of this kind of attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
As seeing as there is an ever increasing population of 7 billion people on this planet then yes...yes I imagine it's possible.
Yep :biggrin: my best friend and i were just best friends for three years, once i realised i liked him it was kinda hard being the person who was trying to cheer him up when he was going on about how 'perfect' his ex was and how he 'loved' her. But he asked me out 7 months ago and its worked out so well! We have mutual interests, we dont necessarily have to go on 'dates' just spend time together having fun, theres no pressure to be romantic, so far things couldnt be better and I think its preferable to be friends and then go out. But, I know if we ever break up i'll lose the person I love and one of my best friends so it is a dangerous game to play.
(This is an update to post #12 made on 21/04)

Since about a week after I made that post, me and my friend went out for a few drinks (not a date), but in spite of that, we ended up talking about stuff the next day and realised that we both really liked each other. Two months later, things are going great. I'm so happy I decided to do something! :biggrin:
(This is an update to post #12 made on 21/04)

Since about a week after I made that post, me and my friend went out for a few drinks (not a date), but in spite of that, we ended up talking about stuff the next day and realised that we both really liked each other. Two months later, things are going great. I'm so happy I decided to do something! :biggrin:

Hurray! I'm happy for you mate. Do you mind answering some questions though? (apologies)

How long were you best friends for before moving in with her?

Was it harder to cope with living with her before you got together?

And how did it happen, did you make a move or what?
Nope. Happened two times. One apparently liked me, but I think she was lying. We didn't form a relationship. The other one, the same thing happened, as in she didn't want to go out with me, but I'm pretty sure she didn't lie about liking me. She let me read her diary entries from around that time and they seemed pretty convincing lol. But no. I just don't have luck with girls, period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending