The Student Room Group

Would you rather be superfat or superskinny?

Scroll to see replies

Skinny - and everyone will say this, hence why being called skinny is not an insult yet being called fat is insulting.
Personally I'd want to be neither and just have a 6 pack that turns everyone on. :lol:

But if I had to pick, then due to the fact that putting on weight is supposed to be harder than losing it, and also because of what Ziggy Sawdust said, (which is totally correct), then I'd rather be superfat because then I could roll around everywhere and give really warm hugs. In all seriousness though, I'd also rather be superfat because loads of people in society wants to be super skinny anyway and I like being different, because I'd just easily lose weight anyway and because I'd give cuddly hugs. :lol:

So defo superfat.
Original post by Jimbo1234
Skinny - and everyone will say this, hence why being called skinny is not an insult yet being called fat is insulting.

Actually skinny can be an insult if you put it into an insulting context.

Also, skinny has very negative connotations too.

But it's your body and your choice so what the heck.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I have other issues as well and my ED is not the most pressing one. Genuinely? I believe that mental health problems are in my genes and there's not much I can do about that.

That's a cheerful thought :/
Maybe your school has a counsellor you can talk to?

And I don't what ED stands for...
Original post by snailsareslimy
:hugs: it's so ridiculous that the NHS does this. Eugh. You wouldn't turn away someone with cancer just because it isn't 'bad' enough -___-. Have you watched any of LouFederer's videos on YouTube? I personally find her very helpful to watch at times, maybe you will too :smile: she has quite a lot on her Anorexia journey and how she overcame it. (also I please hope you don't take any offence to this, just trying to help :colondollar:).

I hope you get the support you need soon :hugs:

Yeah, my choice is pay for counselling and be ill or be ill. I'm heavily drugged though.

I don't like hearing about how people have 'overcome' their mental health problems cos it just makes me feel **** that I haven't.
Because I believe the thinner I am I stronger (mentally) I am. It's about willpower and determination.

Note: I don't believe this applies to anyone else.

Why 5 stone though? Do you see this as a healthy weight?
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
That's a cheerful thought :/
Maybe your school has a counsellor you can talk to?

And I don't what ED stands for...

ED = eating disorder.

My uni has a counselling service but they'll only give you six sessions and I need more than that.
Original post by Enlightened_One
Why 5 stone though? Do you see this as a healthy weight?

I was too fat at 5 and a half so I guess 5 is about right. Not super skeletal just thin enough.
I was too fat at 5 and a half so I guess 5 is about right. Not super skeletal just thin enough.

Oh right okay.. How do you react to people telling you that being that weight is unhealthy and quite possibly dangerous? Is this something that has ever concerned you?
Original post by Enlightened_One
Oh right okay.. How do you react to people telling you that being that weight is unhealthy and quite possibly dangerous? Is this something that has ever concerned you?

Dude, I don't care ****. I'm like 'meh'.
Superfat as I'm superskinny anyway and it's practically impossible to put on weight for me. Also, it would save on heating bills in the winter.
Super-fat.
If you make fun of an obese person it's wrong, but if you make fun of a skinny person it's somehow acceptable in today's society.
I'd rather be super-fat because I wouldn't get as many weird looks as people are so used to seeing super-fat people nowadays.
Original post by Autistic Merit
Superfat as I'm superskinny anyway and it's practically impossible to put on weight for me. Also, it would save on heating bills in the winter.

Same here, I've been trying to put on weight for about 2 years and am having absolutely no luck.
Original post by Ziggy Sawdust
People saying super skinny because "it'd be more fun to gain weight than lose it", you realise that you would likely have a tiny appetite and more than a few mouthfuls at once would make you feel incredibly sick?

Edit: also if were talking super skinny as in BMI < 15 you'd be a high risk of multiple organ failure, hair and teeth loss, osteoporosis etc

Super fat people would also have their fair share of health problems such as cholesterol build up in the arteries, higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes and also an increased risk of heart attack from the cholesterol build up. I agree with the tiny appetite bit though, people often criticize underweight people for not being able to gain weight and sometimes think they're lying or exaggerating.

Super-skinny. My aim (when I get the willpower) is to be 5 stone.

I really hope you're joking, how tall are you?

That's extremely unhealthy and it could end up killing you.
Original post by abbalarr95
Super-fat.
If you make fun of an obese person it's wrong, but if you make fun of a skinny person it's somehow acceptable in today's society.
I'd rather be super-fat because I wouldn't get as many weird looks as people are so used to seeing super-fat people nowadays.

I've never seen super skinny people getting weird looks where I live, it's usually the super fat people who get the weird looks.
Reply 55
I think it'd be easier to recover from being super skinny without having stretch marks etc. plus you can have fun pigging out for a while.
Well, having been "super skinny" and still being underweight, I can tell you that it's a massive struggle to put on any form of body fat. Constantly being ill, having aches and pains everywhere and having excess body hair (body's way of trying to keep warm), people practically staring on the street is not very fun. But being super obese would pretty much be the same situation... both are awful circumstances anyway.

I'd guess I'd go for the latter. It seems a lot more difficult to lose weight.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tammie123
Super fat people would also have their fair share of health problems such as cholesterol build up in the arteries, higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes and also an increased risk of heart attack from the cholesterol build up. I agree with the tiny appetite bit though, people often criticize underweight people for not being able to gain weight and sometimes think they're lying or exaggerating.

I really hope you're joking, how tall are you?

That's extremely unhealthy and it could end up killing you.

Being suicidal that doesn't bother me.
Reply 58
Original post by Jimbo1234

To be fair this only applies if the person in question is average height or above. Men who are skinny and tiny are called 'weedy' which is generally meant in a negative way, women who are skinny and tiny can be told they look like a child which is again negative. Mostly I'd agree though, being lanky was far more preferable to being obese.

Original post by Autistic Merit

At 17 I was under 11 stone and pretty much my full height ~(6'4) so really lanky, I ate more than everybody I knew and did not put on a pound. At 25 I'm well, around double that number.

I learnt firstly that one cannot rely on staying the same forever and secondly that the 2 mile walk to my friends and back most days (only around 30 mins) was enough to keep me thin. Once I was in work I ate more things like kebabs and pizzas and went out less, most people overestimate the amount they are eating or underestimate the exercise they do because it may not feel strenuous.

Ironically i tolerated the cold better when skinny, i was the guy in a t-shirt with frost on the ground while now I'm in a coat at anything under about 10C.
ED = eating disorder.

My uni has a counselling service but they'll only give you six sessions and I need more than that.

Have you tried the six session, just to start you off? It might help at least a bit.

Also, there are most likely forums you can join, where you can talk it out with people like you, that might help as well. Like a virtual group counselling session.

Quick Reply

Latest