The Student Room Group

mature student friendly university offering medical degree

advice needed on which universities would be best to apply for medicine as a mature student.I'm a Pharmacology graduate and have completed a PGDip in Public Health.
Reply 1
SGUL
I don't know of any UK medical schools who discourage mature applicants. Your chances are unlikely to be different to any other graduate applicant. The only thing some of them discriminate by is age, as in they have an upper age limit they will accept. Most say on their websites what their age cut-offs are though.

You need to look at them all, but ultimately you can probably apply to them all.
Reply 3
Bart's. In my year cohort we had at least 65% graduates, we had several people in there 30s and 40s (when I say several - I mean at least 30ish students). There is also 2 qualified Pharmacists in my year and one graduate in Pharmacology that I know of.
Reply 4
Any that does GEP should be good, but no one really cares about age anyway, so just choose the med school you want to go to (or have the highest chance of getting into)
Reply 5
You'll kill it with a pharm degree!
Original post by KA125
You'll kill it with a pharm degree!

Actually a Pharm degree doesn't get you any more credit than any other degree the universities accept. In fact, several of them don't request any kind of science degree, so a degree in Drama counts as much as Pharm or Biomed (providing you can justify your decision to change at interview).
Reply 7
Original post by hoonosewot
Actually a Pharm degree doesn't get you any more credit than any other degree the universities accept. In fact, several of them don't request any kind of science degree, so a degree in Drama counts as much as Pharm or Biomed (providing you can justify your decision to change at interview).

I meant at med school, didn't mean before hand. I have always said that pharm is a great degree to have going into medicine. I know that several unis don't even require science as some of my friends have come from a drama degree and are midway through the GEC/GEP course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
thanks very much for your responses :smile:....much appreciated.
Reply 9
one more question.....are we only allowed to apply to 4 med schools at any one time or more?
I went to a Pharmacy interview at UCL, so easy and accommodating, a lot of places encourage applicants from all walks of live and experience. Hopefully you find the place you want too go to though. I think you will have an advantage with life experience and passion for the field.
Original post by KA125
I meant at med school, didn't mean before hand. I have always said that pharm is a great degree to have going into medicine. I know that several unis don't even require science as some of my friends have come from a drama degree and are midway through the GEC/GEP course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can they afford to do a drama degree + medical degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending