The Student Room Group

What goes through your head before an exam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by livealittle
As the title suggests I would love to know what thoughts run through people's minds before doing an exam.I find I just panic ,have negative thoughts and think I've failed already:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

From now on: Aloe Blacc's 'The Man' :tongue:
meh...I should have revised more
I'm often nervous as hell, but I find that becomes an energising force during the exam as soon as I've got through a couple of questions and fared well in them. Normally my internal monologue goes something like:

If I've revised: "I'll probably do fine."
If I haven't revised: "I obviously didn't really care about this exam, therefore, if I don't do brilliantly, it's not the end of the world"

My panicking phase usually sets in after people start discussing the paper on TSR, to be honest, I usually realise I've made a dumb mistake somewhere and lost a couple of easy marks.
Oh yeah, and I always get the wobbly table.
That I should've revised more :yep:
Breathe you got this then "get a first, get a first, get a first, get a first, get a first, get a first".
Original post by Pro Crastination
Oh yeah, and I always get the wobbly table.

oh my.. this is me in every single exam. And the table wobbles and everyone stares at me like I am disturbing the peace.

Why don't they fix such things in advance? It just really pisses me off. Nowadays I check the table before I sit down and claim it.
Reply 68
Mine is always something like

- Hmm how many pens should I bring to the table. I could bring one but what if it runs out of ink? Two? Will three look a little crazy and OTT?
- Oh god where's my seat, I'm going to be the last one wandering about and holding everyone up
- Ok make sure you keep your eyes firmly on the table or else they'll think you're cheating and you'll get disqualified
- Is my phone definitely off?
- Do we write our names on the paper or wait until we're told we can? If I start entering my details they might think I've started the exam too early but if I don't and they start the exam straight away I'll be wasting time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
I don't think i've done enough revision, no thats silly i've done loads. What if i fail? Then i won't get into uni and won't get my dream job and my whole plan will be ruined. Maybe i will resit the year,but i would really hate to resit because i don't like anyone in the year below me amd was looking forward to finally start uni. Plus there are no more jan exams so I would have to stay the whole year.

Ok, its ok, i'm gonna be fine. No need to stress *breathes in and out slowly*

It's all ok...

What if i'm at the wrong exam and mine was yesterday and i missed it?! I will have failed it. And i will look really stupid if i walk in there and have no exam. Dear G-d, why?

*checks exam timetable*

Date....time...exam. Ok it's the right one. Phew.

I hope I have enough working pens. Lets see....1..2...3...4. That should be enough. A couple on blue ones and pencils for backups, should be fine.

So as soon as i get in, i need to write xyz on the back of the paper, and bullet plan the essays....

Ok, no need to stress simply go over notes again and concentrate on not looking absolutely terrified. Hold on, what on the earth is my candidate number?!?! I'm going to have ask....oh wait, we are going in.....calm down, calm down, it's going to be fine. Oooh, the exam hall is cold....!

Usually something like that, i turn into a raving madwoman before exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 70
Always- check if exam invidulators are looking and look at first question and think about it throughout the pre-exam lecture- never got caught 8) sometimes I can even make out the question by staring through the first sheet for an extensively long time.. one of my many skills..
I'm usually busy wishing everyone would shut up; I get really irritable listening to other people chattering about what they've been revising or what they know and don't know etc, I find it painfully distracting. I'd be fine most of the time otherwise, I tend to prepare well enough to be reasonably confident, but once I hear everyone else talking about it then I start doubting myself and worrying that I've revised all the wrong things or missed out something important.
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
oh my.. this is me in every single exam. And the table wobbles and everyone stares at me like I am disturbing the peace.

Why don't they fix such things in advance? It just really pisses me off. Nowadays I check the table before I sit down and claim it.

Good idea. At my college tables are assigned, so if you have the wobbly one, you're stuck with it.
Original post by Pro Crastination
Good idea. At my college tables are assigned, so if you have the wobbly one, you're stuck with it.

Thats what used to happen in my college, then they'd try to fold bits of paper and shove it under the legs of the table as if it would do anything :rolleyes:

At university, you have a choice, which is much more convenient.
Pretty much arrogant and i start laughing at the paper. If i get stuck skip and come back and destroy that. :colone:
I usually repeat to myself, 'it's ok, you've got this, you can do it. You've done it before and you're going to go in there and smash it.'
LOL look at all these people panicking. Life is pointless and we're all gonna die one day... If only they knew

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78

When I'm nervous, I laugh.
What is my seat number?
Oh right that's it
*Checks again 2 seconds later*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending