The Student Room Group

Best 'Cramming' success story you know..

Scroll to see replies

I didn't revise for my Maths AS at all and got 97%, in fact I didn't revise for any of my AS levels and I got 90%+ in 3 of them, never been a fan of revision :P
Reply 21
Original post by Sparticus515
I didn't revise for my Maths AS at all and got 97%, in fact I didn't revise for any of my AS levels and I got 90%+ in 3 of them, never been a fan of revision :P

So all you did was attend class? :s-smilie:
Reply 22
I didn't revise for my A-levels and ended up with an A*, A, B, B and a C.

It was lucky.
Reply 23
Original post by Aivicore
I didn't revise for my A-levels and ended up with an A*, A, B, B and a C.

It was lucky.

What A-Levels did you do?
Original post by Top Queen
So all you did was attend class? :s-smilie:

Pretty much, and do homeworks of course. I feel as if with maths and sciences if you can understand d a few of the underlying concepts you can answer almost any question. I only got 82% in chemistry though because I can never do the simple memory questions!
Reply 25
What A-Levels did you do?

German, English, Biology, Environmental Studies and General Studies. Grades in that order.
Reply 26
I started studying at 7pm the night before my Higher modern studies exam and got an A. OK, modern studies isn't exactly rocket science, but I was still pleased with myself.
Ahah such as?
Well done!!!

Thank you.

The one where you try and organise your notes in a way where you imagine yourself in a house and every object in the house represents a section or keyword within your notes. So for example you picture yourself a in a living room, and the sofa represents paternalism etc.
I made raps, which actually helped but then I accidentally deleted them. I made dance routines no lie.. different movements signified important key thinkers.

I memorised my notes with mostly Mnemonics, I've found that I can retain large amounts of information when the Mnemonic is very silly and outrageous lol
Original post by Changing Skies
Started properly revising the day before for AS level History and English Literature. Got As.

I did the same for Biology but got a B, so now I'm having to resit a unit :colonhash:

Not cramming quite as badly this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're making me feel slightly better about about my situation.
Reply 29
German, English, Biology, Environmental Studies and General Studies. Grades in that order.

Biology :eek: how did you get such a good grade without revision
Reply 30
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Thank you.

The one where you try and organise your notes in a way where you imagine yourself in a house and every object in the house represents a section or keyword within your notes. So for example you picture yourself a in a living room, and the sofa represents paternalism etc.
I made raps, which actually helped but then I accidentally deleted them. I made dance routines no lie.. different movements signified important key thinkers.

I memorised my notes with mostly Mnemonics, I've found that I can retain large amounts of information when the Mnemonic is very silly and outrageous lol

Wooow! That's a great technique, nothing works for me though, I'm a tough cookie, but it must be really effective for you, you did really well!
Reply 31
Biology :eek: how did you get such a good grade without revision

Uhhm I think I just learnt it pretty well as we went along. At the end of each module I wrote a song summarising the information in it. Throughout my exams I pretty much just sang those in my head and had all the answers/concepts down... :colondollar:
Wooow! That's a great technique, nothing works for me though, I'm a tough cookie, but it must be really effective for you, you did really well!

I was once like that, you just have to try different types of revision techniques and tweak them to your liking. There are dozens of revision techniques out there, give it a shot and see how your grades improve :smile:
Last year I crammed for pretty much all of my GCSE exams (Except for Spanish which I really didn't care about), and got pretty good results. I felt that if I started revising for some subjects better/worked more I could've got the results I actually wanted, but I was fairly happy with what I got.
Reply 34
Uhhm I think I just learnt it pretty well as we went along. At the end of each module I wrote a song summarising the information in it. Throughout my exams I pretty much just sang those in my head and had all the answers/concepts down... :colondollar:

Incredible! I'm not much of a musician myself!

I was once like that, you just have to try different types of revision techniques and tweak them to your liking. There are dozens of revision techniques out there, give it a shot and see how your grades improve :smile:

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it :smile:
Thank you.

The Sherlock way :holmes: :wink:
Reply 36
I was in hospital for all of Year 11, then got out about a week before IGCSEs. (Disclaimer: I only did 3 subjects.)

Revised French for a day, Maths for two days, and didn't revise English at all. Got A*s in all of them. 95% in English :bban:
Reply 37
Original post by Катя
I was in hospital for all of Year 11, then got out about a week before IGCSEs. (Disclaimer: I only did 3 subjects.)

Revised French for a day, Maths for two days, and didn't revise English at all. Got A*s in all of them. 95% in English :bban:

Well done!!!!! That's really good!
Crammed for History and got an A- don't cram for Maths or Science because that's just silly! :cool:
Reply 39
I spent <24 hours revising for each of my GCSEs, still got mostly A*s and As with the odd Bs, but I attribute those to fate punishing me for my laxity.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest