The Student Room Group

Would you rather be superfat or superskinny?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21

Ironically i tolerated the cold better when skinny, i was the guy in a t-shirt with frost on the ground while now I'm in a coat at anything under about 10C.

Do you cope better in hot weather now though?
Reply 61
Original post by Autistic Merit
Do you cope better in hot weather now though?

No. Being Scottish I've never tolerated anything much above 20C without melting in a pool of sweat, underweight or obese.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I was too fat at 5 and a half so I guess 5 is about right. Not super skeletal just thin enough.

If you weighed 5 and a half stone, absolute bull **** the NHS wouldn't give you help. I think you're lying, which is a pretty bad thing to do because people on here are actually struggling with an ED, and you're trivialising it. You aren't amusing. People stop talking about this with her please.
Reply 63
Super skinny. I could binge on junk food to get back to normal!
Original post by TolerantBeing
If you weighed 5 and a half stone, absolute bull **** the NHS wouldn't give you help. I think you're lying, which is a pretty bad thing to do because people on here are actually struggling with an ED, and you're trivialising it. You aren't amusing. People stop talking about this with her please.

Who are you to tell me I'm lying about my mental health problems?
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
Have you tried the six session, just to start you off? It might help at least a bit.

Also, there are most likely forums you can join, where you can talk it out with people like you, that might help as well. Like a virtual group counselling session.

My doctor agrees that having short term counselling wouldn't help and might stir up issues which then get left unresolved.

To be fair depending on her height, she may not be in the anorexic BMI bracket at 5.5 stone (which I believe is 17.5 or lower).
Original post by SophieSmall
To be fair depending on her height, she may not be in the anorexic BMI bracket at 5.5 stone (which I believe is 17.5 or lower).

This. And not all thin people with eating disorders have anorexia.
super skinny by miles
This. And not all thin people with eating disorders have anorexia.

That's true there are many eating disorders, EDNOS, anorexia nervosa, Bulimia nervosa, Pica, compulsive eating disorder etc.

Regardless of a persons BMI though they could be suffering from any eating disorder, I think there is only a BMI bracket for anorexia because I think they use that to assess how progressed it is. Any doctor to dismiss somebody for having an eating disorder because they are not "thin enough" yet is absolutely outrageous and unprofessional. Overweight people can become anorexic and it could take them a long time to get down to that weight bracket but even before they got to 17.5 or lower they would still be anorexic mentally and would need a full assessment not just weigh in.
Super skinny: in my experience it's easier to gain weight than it is for me to lose it.
That's true there are many eating disorders, EDNOS, anorexia nervosa, Bulimia nervosa, Pica, compulsive eating disorder etc.

Regardless of a persons BMI though they could be suffering from any eating disorder, I think there is only a BMI bracket for anorexia because I think they use that to assess how progressed it is. Any doctor to dismiss somebody for having an eating disorder because they are not "thin enough" yet is absolutely outrageous and unprofessional. Overweight people can become anorexic and it could take them a long time to get down to that weight bracket but even before they got to 17.5 or lower they would still be anorexic mentally and would need a full assessment not just weigh in.

Anorexia has a strict set of requirements (including periods to have stopped in female-bodied people), as do many other eating disorders. I expect most people with EDs don't fit into the strict boundaries and so (at least at first) as diagnosed with EDNOS. EDNOS isn't a 'less bad' ED and it's not a way of saying 'you're not ill enough', it's catch-all diagnosis for those that don't fit into strict boundries.
Anorexia has a strict set of requirements (including periods to have stopped in female-bodied people), as do many other eating disorders. I expect most people with EDs don't fit into the strict boundaries and so (at least at first) as diagnosed with EDNOS. EDNOS isn't a 'less bad' ED and it's not a way of saying 'you're not ill enough', it's catch-all diagnosis for those that don't fit into strict boundries.

I know there are many criteria they look for, I think perhaps some doctors are more strict than others when it comes to diagnosing the condition.
(edited 10 years ago)
I know there are many criteria they look for, I think perhaps some doctors are more strict than others when it comes to diagnosing the condition.

There's no ambiguity in the guidelines. If someone doesn't tick all the boxes they can't have a certain diagnosis.
There's no ambiguity in the guidelines. If someone doesn't tick all the boxes they can't have a certain diagnosis.

I don't see how that can be true, I have a friend who was diagnosed and she never lost her periods (at least not until after she was diagnosed).

http://www.b-eat.co.uk/about-beat/media-centre/facts-and-figures/

here is some more information if you are interested, I noticed some of your other posts. If you suspect you have or are developing an eating disorder I recommend you try to seek help from wherever you can. Trust me I have been there and understand you can talk to me if you like.
I don't see how that can be true, I have a friend who was diagnosed and she never lost her periods (at least not until after she was diagnosed).

http://www.b-eat.co.uk/about-beat/media-centre/facts-and-figures/

here is some more information if you are interested, I noticed some of your other posts. If you suspect you have or are developing an eating disorder I recommend you try to seek help from wherever you can. Trust me I have been there and understand you can talk to me if you like.

I don't know where I read it but I'm sure I read that that was a necessary citerion. Hummm...

That's why they have different categories for eating disorders now. They've long ago realised that the strict categorisations of Anorexia leave a lot of people undiagnosed and without treatment. So they introduced EDNOS, and now OSFED (Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorder I think it stands for, not certain) which has sub- categories for the eating disorders that don't fit into Anorexia, bulimia etc. One of these is Atypical Anorexia Nervosa, which is basically anorexia but without the low weight. Treatment is provided for that.

I'm not saying treatment is effective, I'm just saying it exists for people like SmallTownGirl.
Ignoring possible loose skin

super fat
That's why they have different categories for eating disorders now. They've long ago realised that the strict categorisations of Anorexia leave a lot of people undiagnosed and without treatment. So they introduced EDNOS, and now OSFED (Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorder I think it stands for, not certain) which has sub- categories for the eating disorders that don't fit into Anorexia, bulimia etc. One of these is Atypical Anorexia Nervosa, which is basically anorexia but without the low weight. Treatment is provided for that.

I'm not saying treatment is effective, I'm just saying it exists for people like SmallTownGirl.

Oh I'm not saying treatment isn't available :smile:
Trust me I'm thoroughly educated in eating disorders and not for the nicest of reasons. But really the help you get does often come down to who you go to talk to, sometimes you really do just end up with an incompetent GP who won't refer you and you have to seek a second opinion (and often it takes so much courage to go in the first place) being shot down can really put you off going to the doctors about it again. I've been there it crushed me going to seek help and just having the door shut on me. Of course this probably isn't the norm but it does happen.
I don't know where I read it but I'm sure I read that that was a necessary citerion. Hummm...

Who knows, guidelines are changing all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest