The Student Room Group

Girlfriend turned vegan - do we have to break up??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mickey O'Neil

Using unnatural supplements to supplement their diet. This is massive on body building forums and its nowhere near the same. Never mind the processing of proteins and the important roles in protein synthesis. To suggest he becomes a vegan to suit her is ridiculous but to suggest he can perfectly maintain his gains whilst cutting out essential sources of protein (chicken) is laughable. The only other way is to supplement his diet with protein drinks, most likely soy, which again is not a natural source of food for consumption and is man made. Why should he have to do this to conform to her lifestyle when he can just continue to eat meat? Shes being unreasonable.

Chicken is an ideal source of protein and isn't red. Its a meat and is often the meat of choice for body builders. Yes you should try to get protein from an array of sources but for a body builder wanting gains then eating meat, often chicken is the choice, is great. Why should he have to supplement his diet with powders to get his protein?

If thats the case then she knows where the door is. She knew she was entering a relationship with a meat eating person and has cooked meat for him in the past. Then suddenly she drops this bombshell on him and he's supposed to just follow the rules set out. She's out of order.

Do you have any idea of the impact a lot of the vegetarian industry has on the environment and habitats of those animals? Meat substitutes imported from abroad have led to forests being destroyed to fund such. Playing the killing animals card is insane given you're helping an industry which is destroying the environment.

No, she has tried to make him conform to her new lifestyle changes by acting like a spoilt brat. He should dump her and find a mature and sane woman.

If she truly cared about him, she'd still continue cooking meat for her boyfriend who she's supposed to love, and understand that whilst she doesn't eat it, he still does as part of his every day life and thats his choice as an independent person.

OP should break up with her and find someone else.

Soy is a natural product, I have no idea what bodybuilders do with it to apparently make it unnatural. Don't bother telling me, it's irelevant as
he doesn't have to conform to her lifestyle. He can eat vegan meals and get his meals cooked for him or he can cook himself. If he wants to say eat meat at the weekend or cook your own meals that's fair enough.

She has changed, yes - that doesn't make her childish or insane but it does make the person saying that seem childish and insane. She isn't trying to make him conform to her lifestyle, you can repeat it for ever but it makes it no less false than the first time you say it.

You're either the OP or overly invested in this.
Wonder if the OP's going to pop back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the issue is simply about her being vegan I would hope there was some kind of compromise that could be made. However, it sounds like the really issue is the way that responsibilities are shared between the two of you. It sounds like you feel that you are doing more than your fair share. I hope that everything works out for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
100% agree with this. She's just being ridiculous and immature and needs to grow up. Its as daft as OP going 'I'm not going to touch vegetables ever again because its yucky rabbit food'. It's not like he's forcing her to follow his lifestyle choice. He's actively supported her change by cooking her vegan food but there's a point where compromise becomes taking the piss and she's taken it to that point imo.

I'd leave her and find someone mature OP. You seem pretty reasonable tbh. Its not like you ditched her just for turning vegan.

YOU'RE GETTING SO MAD ABOUT THIS, CALM DOWN BABE. IT'S QUITE TRIVIAL.

Op just don't Cook for her anymore if she won't cook for you. Its only fair. She'll be jealous when she's eyeing up that ribeye steak on your plate
Original post by Claudiatte
YOU'RE GETTING SO MAD ABOUT THIS, CALM DOWN BABE. IT'S QUITE TRIVIAL.

Im perfectly fine but thanks for your concern babe xo
Im perfectly fine but thanks for your concern babe xo

Ok dear xx
That wasnt meant to be anonymous lol xx
Reply 107
Wanted to reply to some individually, but as there are so many replies I'll just make one big reply to everyone.

Thanks for all the good replies, some were really good and plenty of ideas. Some of the other hand, sounded like idiots who didn't even read my posts properly - the problem was not my taste for meat, but the fact that she isn't contributing to our household equally. When she used to cook for me as well, I felt that we were more equal in everything. By the way, she earns about 8k per year and I earn 40k.. I'm paying most of our rent.

Also I noticed some people telling me to eat vegan things.. I have never seen a succesful/big vegan bodybuilder. I actually had this argument with a vegan friend once and she sent me a link to a vegan bodybuilding site. They had good bodies, but looked like skinny fitness models rather than bodybuilders! You cannot beat the amino acid profile of animal proteins. I dont even understand how one could make a vegan equivalent to my dinner (cutting at the moment) for example (250g chicken breast with 200g broccoli, which equals to nearly 70g protein with only 4g carbs!)

Yesterday I had a talk with her and told her she has three options:

1. Stop being silly, stick to your diet but cook me meals that suit my diet!
or
2. I cook my own meals, but you will pay exactly half of the rent (half of the rent would equal her whole salary)
or
3. Pack your things and leave!

To my surprise, I got home today and guess what was waiting for me on the table:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img835/4435/kn68.jpg :smile:

She apologised for being so silly and promised things will change. We made a compromise, that she will cook me meats that are responsibly sourced from local farms, or wild game meats!! I'm fine with this, although it is a little more expensive I'm very happy with this compromise. In fact, I can't wait to try out some game meats!

So glad we found a solution, because other than this issue we've never had any problems in our relationship.

I hope everyone has a good Easter! and plenty of Easter Lamb:wink:
Original post by Anonymous
Wanted to reply to some individually, but as there are so many replies I'll just make one big reply to everyone.

Thanks for all the good replies, some were really good and plenty of ideas. Some of the other hand, sounded like idiots who didn't even read my posts properly - the problem was not my taste for meat, but the fact that she isn't contributing to our household equally. When she used to cook for me as well, I felt that we were more equal in everything. By the way, she earns about 8k per year and I earn 40k.. I'm paying most of our rent.

Also I noticed some people telling me to eat vegan things.. I have never seen a succesful/big vegan bodybuilder. I actually had this argument with a vegan friend once and she sent me a link to a vegan bodybuilding site. They had good bodies, but looked like skinny fitness models rather than bodybuilders! You cannot beat the amino acid profile of animal proteins. I dont even understand how one could make a vegan equivalent to my dinner (cutting at the moment) for example (250g chicken breast with 200g broccoli, which equals to nearly 70g protein with only 4g carbs!)

or
2. I cook my own meals, but you will pay exactly half of the rent (half of the rent would equal her whole salary)
or

To my surprise, I got home today and guess what was waiting for me on the table:

She apologised for being so silly and promised things will change. We made a compromise, that she will cook me meats that are responsibly sourced from local farms, or wild game meats!! I'm fine with this, although it is a little more expensive I'm very happy with this compromise. In fact, I can't wait to try out some game meats!

So glad we found a solution, because other than this issue we've never had any problems in our relationship.

I've been nosey-ing in and out of this thread. Glad to know things are resolved, OP, I hope you and your girlfriend remain happy together.
The real reason I'm posting though, your dinner looked pretty delicious.

or
or

That looks delicious.
Reply 110
Original post by Rump Steak
I love this line.

I know right, I just think it's so silly...
Reply 111
Original post by Pride

Forgot to comment on that.. the anon was so if my girlfriend would read this she would know it's me, but she would not tie me to my actual account and find my other posts on this forum haha!
Reply 112
Forgot to comment on that.. the anon was so if my girlfriend would read this she would know it's me, but she would not tie me to my actual account and find my other posts on this forum haha!

rofl
Reply 113
I can understand this situation- there is a very similar one in my own house! My dad is a meat-eater and my mum is a vegetarian, and she doesn't cook the meat despite making most of the meals. Instead, what we do is, make a common meal that is suitable for both parties (i.e. vegetarian), and the meat-eater (i.e. my dad) just makes the meat after work, so he doesn't spend too long cooking. This works particularly well for us, because we have a lot of rice and curry, and have common curries, and my dad just makes the one meat curry. In your case, you could have a common meal and maybe grab a small meat take away or stick some meat in the oven that won't take too long on the weekdays?
Original post by Mithi11
I can understand this situation- there is a very similar one in my own house! My dad is a meat-eater and my mum is a vegetarian, and she doesn't cook the meat despite making most of the meals. Instead, what we do is, make a common meal that is suitable for both parties (i.e. vegetarian), and the meat-eater (i.e. my dad) just makes the meat after work, so he doesn't spend too long cooking. This works particularly well for us, because we have a lot of rice and curry, and have common curries, and my dad just makes the one meat curry. In your case, you could have a common meal and maybe grab a small meat take away or stick some meat in the oven that won't take too long on the weekdays?

Dat euphemism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me and my girlfriend have been together for a year and have lived together for a few months.

She's always been a fan of vegetables but recently she decided to turn completely vegan. I have nothing against her views and totally respect her decision - it does not bother me what she eats. But this is not the problem..

The problem is, that in our household we have divided our tasks in the following way: I'm working full time, and earn most of the money for us. My girlfriend only works part time, but she cooks the evening meals and does most of the household chores. On the weekends, I cook and participate in all possible chores, so I feel we have equally divided everything. With her new thing, I also cook some nice vegetarian things along with other foods on the weekends for her to eat.

The problem is now that my girlfriend has decided she won't touch or cook meat anymore. This is really bad for me because I'm usually home only around 7:30pm after I've been to the gym after work and most of the time I'm starving. Now with this new vegan thing, she only cooks vegetarian meals, which means that I have to cook for myself. I'm a meat eater, and need a proper portion of meat to get the required protein. I'm more than happy to have some of her carrot soup for a starter, but I do need some proper food too.

This has made things really difficult for us and it's very exhausting to me. After a full day of work the last thing I want to do is start cooking, I want to relax. I like cooking, but just don't have the time and I can't eat ready meals every day, afterall, I'm a healthy eater.

I have told her this is very selfish from her. I'd be even willing to change so that I was working part time and did the cooking instead, but my job won't allow this. This has caused for us to argue for the last 3 weeks..

Is breaking up the only option if she won't change her habits?

(Writing this anon. in case my girlfriend recognises me)

Learn to organise your life and cook for yourself rather than whining and blaming others for your own shortcomings.
(edited 10 years ago)
Me and my girlfriend have been together for a year and have lived together for a few months.

She's always been a fan of vegetables but recently she decided to turn completely vegan. I have nothing against her views and totally respect her decision - it does not bother me what she eats. But this is not the problem..

The problem is, that in our household we have divided our tasks in the following way: I'm working full time, and earn most of the money for us. My girlfriend only works part time, but she cooks the evening meals and does most of the household chores. On the weekends, I cook and participate in all possible chores, so I feel we have equally divided everything. With her new thing, I also cook some nice vegetarian things along with other foods on the weekends for her to eat.

The problem is now that my girlfriend has decided she won't touch or cook meat anymore. This is really bad for me because I'm usually home only around 7:30pm after I've been to the gym after work and most of the time I'm starving. Now with this new vegan thing, she only cooks vegetarian meals, which means that I have to cook for myself. I'm a meat eater, and need a proper portion of meat to get the required protein. I'm more than happy to have some of her carrot soup for a starter, but I do need some proper food too.

This has made things really difficult for us and it's very exhausting to me. After a full day of work the last thing I want to do is start cooking, I want to relax. I like cooking, but just don't have the time and I can't eat ready meals every day, afterall, I'm a healthy eater.

I have told her this is very selfish from her. I'd be even willing to change so that I was working part time and did the cooking instead, but my job won't allow this. This has caused for us to argue for the last 3 weeks..

Is breaking up the only option if she won't change her habits?

(Writing this anon. in case my girlfriend recognises me)

Vegan here - I must say before I start, I could not see myself being together with a non-vegan simply because the way I live my life is so different from how most people live theirs and tbh I wouldn't want to force my religious eating 'habits' on someone else XD My partner is vegan so it's all ok.

That said, I don't know how serious your GF is about this but being vegan really is not some habit, it is a lifestyle and although it does not have to be impossible, it certainly is difficult for a strict vegan to live with someone who is not.

There are plenty of protein rich foods out there besides meat - have you ever considered those? I am not trying to convert you here but you are saying you need some 'proper food' ie 'meat' which is nonsense of course. You'd be surprised how many top athletes are vegan, I am sure they all do eat proper meals every day to keep everything up :smile:

I guess it also depends how strong your bond is together, you have been together for a year you say and you seem to be living together - if she is unable to change back to eating meat, would you be willing to change to being vegan? Why don't you try it for a month, you have nothing to lose, do some research and see what healthy proper meals you can make together?

More than willing to answer any questions you may have.
Reply 117
Original post by Pride

Original post by Pop_tart
Vegan here - I must say before I start, I could not see myself being together with a non-vegan simply because the way I live my life is so different from how most people live theirs and tbh I wouldn't want to force my religious eating 'habits' on someone else XD My partner is vegan so it's all ok.

That said, I don't know how serious your GF is about this but being vegan really is not some habit, it is a lifestyle and although it does not have to be impossible, it certainly is difficult for a strict vegan to live with someone who is not.

There are plenty of protein rich foods out there besides meat - have you ever considered those? I am not trying to convert you here but you are saying you need some 'proper food' ie 'meat' which is nonsense of course. You'd be surprised how many top athletes are vegan, I am sure they all do eat proper meals every day to keep everything up :smile:

I guess it also depends how strong your bond is together, you have been together for a year you say and you seem to be living together - if she is unable to change back to eating meat, would you be willing to change to being vegan? Why don't you try it for a month, you have nothing to lose, do some research and see what healthy proper meals you can make together?

More than willing to answer any questions you may have.

Please see post above we actually sorted this problem already.

And as said, there is simply no way vegan sources of protein could replace animal proteins for a serious bodybuilder. No vegetable proteins have the same amino acid profile as animal proteins do (not necessarily meat).

As said, I'm yet to see an actually big or succesful vegan bodybuilder. I do know very well there are vegetable sources of protein too, but it just isn't the same. For instance, how could you make a vegan meal with high protein and no carbs or fat? (as in compared to 250g chicken with broccoli) I'm sure you have great vegan recipes etc, but for a bodybuilder the diet is very specific.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by awe
This.

OP I totally understand your angle, but I think you need to look into veganism a little more. It's not all 'rabbit food' and 'carrot soup', with some training and practise and little bit of effort and support, your girlfriend can definitely make foods that will support you as well. The whole 'no protein without meat' argument is absolute bull haha. Tofu, beans and nuts and seeds are in the top 10 protein foods according to a simple google, for example. I think a compromise can be made - you should eat her food say 4 times a week, provided she make a bit more of an effort to make it substantial for you, and then you eat what you like a few other nights. Cooking a good meal is really not that hard, even after a day of work it could take you half an hour for a good chicken dish.

This really does sound like something you're using as an excuse.

Also - she isn't a vegan if you guys are eating fish. Not even a vegetarian. That's pescetarian.

He shouldn't have to eat only vegan food just because she is.

or
or

Glad you came to a resolution, OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending