The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Which accommodation is the favourite of all students? Don't be biased!

Lancastrians... I'm going to join you all in September but I'm very interested to know about which colleges are considered the favourites in their layout! E.g. Which colleges have big social areas, or seem to be better suited as social areas, etc. So I'm sure this is going to be filled with bias, but I'd love the opinions and reasons?
Original post by Radiuskong
Lancastrians... I'm going to join you all in September but I'm very interested to know about which colleges are considered the favourites in their layout! E.g. Which colleges have big social areas, or seem to be better suited as social areas, etc. So I'm sure this is going to be filled with bias, but I'd love the opinions and reasons?

None are better than the others since there isn't really a clear favourite!

However the two that stand out to me for socials are Lonsdale (bias option) and Grizedale. They're both laid out as little communities but still sociable with the other colleges.

I'd probably say Bowland has a good shout at being sociable/having sociable areas too - though to be fair this isn't really something to be worried about at all come choosing colleges in my opinion, you need to think of what the college means to you. You might not ever use these social areas after Freshers Week :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by MalteseMalteser
None are better than the others since there isn't really a clear favourite!

However the two that stand out to me for socials are Lonsdale (bias option) and Grizedale. They're both laid out as little communities but still sociable with the other colleges.

I'd probably say Bowland has a good shout at being sociable/having sociable areas too - though to be fair this isn't really something to be worried about at all come choosing colleges in my opinion, you need to think of what the college means to you. You might not ever use these social areas after Freshers Week :smile:

Ah ok, aren't Lonsdale and grizedale some of the old colleges though?
I'm sure I'll manage to be happy anywhere but I'd like somewhere close to the biomedicine labs as well as the center of campus. Whilst also having these other aspects... I'm being rather picky but I just want all the info before I make a decision really! Thanks :smile:
I'm sure I'll manage to be happy anywhere but I'd like somewhere close to the biomedicine labs as well as the center of campus. Whilst also having these other aspects... I'm being rather picky but I just want all the info before I make a decision really! Thanks :smile:

Lonsdale is one of the two founding colleges, so yes it is old - Grizedale is newer though :smile:

Remember that whilst your lectures might be in one area, you might end up having seminars all over campus or even lectures that aren't in the building of your degree (for example, I have Economics lectures in Frankland and Faraday lecture theatres - which are on the other 'side' of campus than the department and the Management school). Whilst Lonsdale is on the outskirts of the university in South-West campus, Grizedale is more central although it is really over-applied most years so chances of getting in are slim.

But if you're looking for more central location, I'd argue Furness (fairly small so maybe not as sociable, maybe more difficult to get in), Fylde, Some of Bowland even (but they're Lonsdales' arch enemies, so don't go there :wink:)

Remember you've still got over a month to decide - but I know it's good to make a decision early. I made my decision of which college to apply for in March - unfortunately I didn't get my first choice or my insurance choice, but I'm really happy where I am and wouldn't change it at all! Some things you might want to consider are: Location (as you've already said), Events, College activities, sport, length of contracted stay (36/39/40 weeks) and perhaps most importantly - cost :smile:

Lonsdale is one of the two founding colleges, so yes it is old - Grizedale is newer though :smile:

Remember that whilst your lectures might be in one area, you might end up having seminars all over campus or even lectures that aren't in the building of your degree (for example, I have Economics lectures in Frankland and Faraday lecture theatres - which are on the other 'side' of campus than the department and the Management school). Whilst Lonsdale is on the outskirts of the university in South-West campus, Grizedale is more central although it is really over-applied most years so chances of getting in are slim.

But if you're looking for more central location, I'd argue Furness (fairly small so maybe not as sociable, maybe more difficult to get in), Fylde, Some of Bowland even (but they're Lonsdales' arch enemies, so don't go there :wink:)

Remember you've still got over a month to decide - but I know it's good to make a decision early. I made my decision of which college to apply for in March - unfortunately I didn't get my first choice or my insurance choice, but I'm really happy where I am and wouldn't change it at all! Some things you might want to consider are: Location (as you've already said), Events, College activities, sport, length of contracted stay (36/39/40 weeks) and perhaps most importantly - cost :smile:
Reply 5
If we're only considering quality of accommodation and not price then Bowland Tower. It's the newest, very good location, has ridiculously good views on the upper floors and is in Bowland, which is a very sociable college (much more so than Grizedale, which was my UG college).

A lot of people rave about town houses in Grizedale and County but they've got very expensive recently, you share the kitchen with a lot of people, you pay for utilities and there are no cleaners and if like me you were on the top floor it's a long way down to the kitchen to make a sandwich. On the other hand there is a large seating area next to the kitchen and you only share the bathroom with one other person.
Reply 6

When you say "old" you have to bear in mind the uni itself is only 50 years old

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Just wrote a massive post about this disscussion, but TSR login ****ed and deleted it all -.-

In short, you DONT pay for utilities in townhouses.
Everyone is jelly of townhouses
Bowland tower sucks
County townhouses close to everything you need
Lonny and Cartmel suck balls due to being in the next county.
townhouses rule.

Ask away if you need further persuasion

Edit: I live on the fourth floor of townhouse 106 in County
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mydwinter
Just wrote a massive post about this disscussion, but TSR login ****ed and deleted it all -.-

In short, you DONT pay for utilities in townhouses.
Everyone is jelly of townhouses
Bowland tower sucks
County townhouses close to everything you need
Lonny and Cartmel suck balls due to being in the next county.
townhouses rule.

Ask away if you need further persuasion

Edit: I live on the fourth floor of townhouse 106 in County

Out of curiosity, what's terrible about Bowland tower? The pictures make it look really nice! And what are the main advantages of townhouses over regular accommodation which make everyone jealous of them?
Original post by Kathiye
Out of curiosity, what's terrible about Bowland tower? The pictures make it look really nice! And what are the main advantages of townhouses over regular accommodation which make everyone jealous of them?

He's trolling, making his accommodation out to be the best - kinda like I do but in a less jokey manner :smile:

Bowland Tower is really nice to be fair, but it's going to be expensive.

Advantages of townhouses are that there's more people to share with, you don't have to pay for your utilities fees, there's a tv included, you effectively get a lounge with comfy seats etc. :smile:

Am I jealous? Far from it :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by MalteseMalteser
He's trolling, making his accommodation out to be the best - kinda like I do but in a less jokey manner :smile:

Bowland Tower is really nice to be fair, but it's going to be expensive.

Advantages of townhouses are that there's more people to share with, you don't have to pay for your utilities fees, there's a tv included, you effectively get a lounge with comfy seats etc. :smile:

Am I jealous? Far from it :lol:

Ah, okay! I kind of suspected that, but I wanted to make sure :colondollar: You don't have to pay for utilities in other on-campus accommodation though, do you? Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by Kathiye
Ah, okay! I kind of suspected that, but I wanted to make sure :colondollar: You don't have to pay for utilities in other on-campus accommodation though, do you? Thank you! :biggrin:

Well you do because they're like add-ons to your room. But it's mainly things like a TV licence that he's on about (£145 for a year) which he doesn't have to pay for. To be fair though, it's all integrated into the price already anyway so I don't see why it's a huge deal. Plus not everyone likes townhouses so to say they're the best is actually too much of a generalisation for, oh, I don't know, the 10,000+ students at the university :lol:
I wasnt trolling.
Bowland tower looks nice, yes and the views are cool.
But most people dont think about the practicality, you could end up on the 12th floor, the lift, which goes right into your flat (so all doors have to have a lock) takes ages to move. Or you could get the stairs, believe me, dont take the stairs.
The communal area is smaller than my room in county, with a short walkway past a fridge to the kitchen, of about the same size, the only good point is that it is new and the bedrooms are the largest I know of.

I dont think anyone has actually paid for a tv licence in county.

Contrary to what you may think a Tv is not included with the townhouse, but I brought my own, so I dont mind.

I'm in the same position as I have applied to study in Lancaster, with my course starting in October of this year. I have recently applied for student finance and have a rough idea of how much of a accommodation grant, I will receive and have worked out that I will be able to life comfortably in either the basic standard or the standard room. My questions are;

What's the difference between basic standard and the standard room?
What college is best in each different areas in general terms? ( i.e. Sports, Night Life, Out of Campus activities ect.)
Original post by Twiggster4949
I'm in the same position as I have applied to study in Lancaster, with my course starting in October of this year. I have recently applied for student finance and have a rough idea of how much of a accommodation grant, I will receive and have worked out that I will be able to life comfortably in either the basic standard or the standard room. My questions are;

What's the difference between basic standard and the standard room?
What college is best in each different areas in general terms? ( i.e. Sports, Night Life, Out of Campus activities ect.)

Basic standard and standard room are the same - just that one is newer than the other

Sports: well arguably Fylde, since it has a "sports bar", but actually all of the colleges are sporty what with the Carter Shield taking place all year round, as well as the university teams. If you want an extra game though, Lonsdale and Bowland take part in Founders weekend at the end if the year (June) where they play each other for points in many different sports - I'll be part of Lonsdales Rugby Union Team for founders this year.

Night life and Out of Campus Activities: Well, Lonsdale are good at both, but to stop blowing the horn for my own college, County are pretty big on Nightlife and so are Bowland. Out of campus activities-wise Grizedale and Pendle are quite good, but then all the colleges do off-campus activities (with Lonsdale I've been to Liverpool, Manchester, and Blackpool so far)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay that's great to hear! Thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending