The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The BIG low down on Durham. Photos etc! READ THIS!!!

New to posting on Student Room but wanting to give back to all the help it provided when I applied myself!

Below is my report on life at Durham, this could be done in a week in a life but I've done something different!

Here's the format: (where X is your uni)

​CLEARLY FILL IN AS MUCH/LITTLE AS YOU WANT OR ADD EXTRAS

A few words about yourself:

A photo speaks a thousand words, up to 30 photos describing your life, the highs, the lows. I used a disposable for this as it puts a strict limit on the number of photos (and they look really cool). Used Flickr:

Top 5 things about your uni:

Bottom 5 things about your uni (be truthful!):

You know you back in X when:

X just wouldn't be the same without:

The most X thing you ever heard:

Since going to X I've become a lot more:

DURHAM!

So hey! I'm NOTaKNOT and I study NatSci (Geog and Geol) at Durham. I come from a pretty standard comp in the Midlands and love travelling, climbing and related fun stuff!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121920801@N02/sets/72157643210221163/

Top 5 things about your uni:

College system, you know sooo many people.

Great societies enabling you to meet a diverse range of people.

Really nice city, alleys, cobbled streets and as it's so small you can be anywhere in 20 minutes walk!

Well respected academic departments, learn with the best from the best.

Klute. Nuff said.

Bottom 5 things about your uni (be truthful!):

Lots and lots of posh people and the divide this brings, I couldn't hold a meaningful conversation with about 40% of the uni. That said, these people are easily avoided.

Bit of a bubble, well off student body in the fairly deprived N.E.

Town-Gown divide.

Some departments are a bit aloof and more interested in their own research than you.

Geographically distant to most students, this could be an advantage if you want to be far from home but does make trains a bit of a hassle.

You know you back in X when: You see someone walking down the street in a suit with bow-tie and think nothing of it but note with amusement the bag of skittles and can of coke in their hand.

X just wouldn't be the same without: The Cathedral, you can see that ****** everywhere and it's presence is calmingly reassuring.

The most X thing you ever heard:
**** my second home's flooded.

Since going to X I've become a lot more:
Independent and open to new things.

What grows on you about X over time: How bright the stars are and the great buskers in town.

Any Q's just ask!

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello I'm currently trying to fill out my UCAS form but I'm facing difficulties over deciding which university I should firm. I wish to study geology and I have a conditional offer of AAA at Durham (I'm taking maths, geology and geography) and I was just wondering what would the chances of me being accepted if I was to get AAB with a B in maths?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
What other unis have you applied to? It was in clearing last year and I know people in on AAB (though most have AAA-A*AA and up) so maybe. I don't want to say yes and be the reason you don't work hard and don't get in but you'll probably be OK.
Reply 3
Well I'm stuck between three unis see I'm thinking of having Southampton as my insurance because that's ABB, then Exeter is AAB and Durham is of course AAA the problem is that I was predicted an A in my maths but its looking increasingly likely that I'm only going to get a B :/
Reply 4
Nice thread!! Which college are you at? What do you know about st Aidan's?
Reply 5
Zozzy, put Durham as your firm and work hard! You'll regret it if you don't and a degree from Durham will be a lot more valuable than one of the other unis.

Wilmoody I'm at collingwood which is really good, Aidan's is the furthest walk for a hill college but still less than 15 mins to science site. It's cute, friendly, small and a little eccentric. You'll be on one of four really long corridors which is unusual but works well. I think half of people share rooms so you've got that to look forward to! Be as honest as possible on the form you fill out or you could end up with someone completely different, your room mate could turn out to be your bff. Tldr, your mascot is a badger nuff said.
Reply 6
What do you know about Grey college? I've been allocated there. What sort of questions do they ask on these forms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'm not sure tbh, I got in late so didn't fill one in (and hence are on a corridor of people who have done likewise)

Greys ok... :P Kinda our rival, not the best not the worst. Bit grey really. They're currently smashing ultimate frisbee and not much else. Closest to the science site but does this make up for the generally deserted bar? Also home to the largest snooker table in country Durham!
Reply 8
Original post by NOTaKNOT

Greys ok... :P Kinda our rival, not the best not the worst. Bit grey really. They're currently smashing ultimate frisbee and not much else.

I'm pretty sure Johns A won the Ultimate frisbsee premiership this year. For such a small college it was great to see them beat the Phoenix Knights
Reply 9
Two questions:

1. Does your college choice affect your chances of being offered a place? (i.e. if I choose University College, am I making life more difficult for myself [I assume it's the most popular college?])

2. Do you get a lot of "lol, guess you weren't good enough for Oxbridge" stuff from people outside of Durham (especially from Oxbridge students)?
Reply 10
Original post by Arieisit
x

Yes, MEng Engineering.
(edited 10 years ago)
Great thread OP! :smile: Mind giving me the low down on St Chads?
Do you know anything about Van Mildert?:smile: I got accepted to that college (I haven't picked my firm choice though). And what do you think about finding part-time jobs beside uni? Is that easy/hard at Durham? (I heard it is in St Andrews as it's smaller, not sure though)
Reply 13
Eurgh shut up you two. Chad's is quite nice, academic, nice building good people. Milderts not the best not a lot of people apply there, that said will still be soooooooooo much better than a halls at any other uni. Work is okay to come by if your willing to look and can be found in college. If recommend being frugal and having the free time/flexibility though.
Reply 14
Eurgh shut up you two. Chad's is quite nice, academic, nice building good people. Milderts not the best not a lot of people apply there, that said will still be soooooooooo much better than a halls at any other uni. Work is okay to come by if your willing to look and can be found in college. If recommend being frugal and having the free time/flexibility though.

Please answer my questions though. :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by Катя
Two questions:

1. Does your college choice affect your chances of being offered a place? (i.e. if I choose University College, am I making life more difficult for myself [I assume it's the most popular college?])

2. Do you get a lot of "lol, guess you weren't good enough for Oxbridge" stuff from people outside of Durham (especially from Oxbridge students)?

Don't apply to castle or Hatfield, not worth the fuss.

No not at all, no one worth knowing is that stuck up.
Reply 16
Don't apply to castle or Hatfield, not worth the fuss.

No not at all, no one worth knowing is that stuck up.

Ok cool, thanks :smile:
Great thread:yy:

Are those guys/gals your flatmates?
OP, can you give a few comments on Josephine Butler as a college, and could you elaborate on the "town-gown" divide, may sound silly but I'm not entirely sure what you mean :P
Reply 19
PLEASE, what every you do. DO NOT go to grey, its the worst hill college by far. I made this mistake, regretted it from week 1.

Quick Reply

Latest