The Student Room Group

Jobs for sixth formers

any ideas?
can i work at tescos etc?
Reply 1
I am so poor lol
Yeah, you can work in most places :smile: You should have a look around or hand a CV into your local businesses!
pretty much any supermarket, shop, cafe, mcdonalds (if your grades aren't too high), call centre

supermarkets may not be your best bet as they often want people to be prepared to work unsociable hours which you probably can't do (unless you drive?)

personally I worked in a call centre during my A levels and it was a pretty good job, I earned maybe £55 a week on average for 9 hours work, and I did those hours in short shifts after my college day finished and still had my weekend to myself
Original post by games211
any ideas?
can i work at tescos etc?

people I know have worked at BHS, WHSmith, as a hospital receptionist, in Waitrose.
Reply 5
Do private tutoring, I teach art GCSE at £20 an hour, at times we can do 4+ hours so nearly 100 quid for not much work!
Reply 6
Original post by doodle_333
pretty much any supermarket, shop, cafe, mcdonalds (if your grades aren't too high), call centre

supermarkets may not be your best bet as they often want people to be prepared to work unsociable hours which you probably can't do (unless you drive?)

personally I worked in a call centre during my A levels and it was a pretty good job, I earned maybe £55 a week on average for 9 hours work, and I did those hours in short shifts after my college day finished and still had my weekend to myself

what call center?
Original post by doodle_333

This is true. I tried applying with modest grades... and they never gave me a place, applied again though and they did lol
Original post by games211
what call center?

that was at anglian home improvements, I certainly wasn't the highest earner

you can earn that sort of amount at any call center since most pay you minimum wage + commission you just need to be a little careful as some places treat employees like dirt and give you virtually no opportunities for commission, I also worked at weatherseal for a couple of months and it was hell, you got 0 choice of what shifts to do, and they just recycled the same phone numbers through over and over and over so you were speaking to people who'd already turned them down 10 times and didn't have a chance basically
(edited 9 years ago)
Tutoring! Very few hours and pretty decent pay rates mean that you can still focus on A-levels. My friends working at shops like starbucks and boots had to quit just because of how intense the hours are.
Tutoring's great if you know your stuff and are willing to spend a couple of hours a week preparing and teaching. PLUS you often get free coffee and snacks :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest