The Student Room Group

Data question - A2

Hi the question i am stuck on is 7e on jun 10 BIOL 4

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL4-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

It says:
Conservation officers were working on the beaches used in this investigation. They
noticed that there were fewer larger seaweeds on beaches used by a large number of
people than on beaches visited by only a few people. Explain how the data in Figure 3
support this.

Doesn't this mean that are fewer 'big' seaweeds, thus less of the large biomass seaweeds?

The answer states the exact opposite of what i would think the answer to be. It suggests that as amount of people increase, the ratio of plant abundance to plant biomass increases.
Doesn't this mean that there are MORE large seaweeds??? :confused::confused::confused:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Well, you can see from the data that the ratio of biomass to abundance increases as the number of people increases, also the number of species decreases, so in thoery there is less seaweeds and less variety.

There is definitely some confusion here, I've looked over the question, mark scheme and examiners report which states that;
'The better candidates could show how the data in Figure 3 supported the view that a smaller number of larger seaweeds were found on frequently visited beaches.'
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL4-W-WRE-JUN10.PDF

Which is strange as the question and the data support the view that there are larger seaweeds on the beaches that are more frequently visited.

I realise I haven't been of much help but I do see where you are coming from, are you able to ask your teacher to look over this at all?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
thanks for trying.

My teacher is pregnant so from I don't have a biology teacher from now (easter) onwards. She was also the only Biology teacher in my school that taught A level :s-smilie:
Original post by user1-4
thanks for trying.

My teacher is pregnant so from I don't have a biology teacher from now (easter) onwards. She was also the only Biology teacher in my school that taught A level :s-smilie:

Are you not getting a supply teacher?
Reply 5
Original post by Picture~Perfect
Are you not getting a supply teacher?

no, because we break up less than two weeks after we go back.
Reply 6
Hey, so I'll copy the markscheme and try to give you a break down of what I think it means (I remember doing this in a mock class test, it screwed my head right over, teacher didn't like it either)

1. Fewer larger animals/more smaller animals where more
people/more disturbance; I would have said, more people so there is more disturbance, so plants cannot grow to there tallest/biggest because the soil etc disturbed.

2. 0.09 linked to 34.6/appropriate link between row 4 and
row 1;:

I think this means, low biomass, low abundance of animals as more humans about scaring off the animals so they feed less

3. Larger animals affected by human activity;
animals scared off?

4. Smaller animals are young animals;
Smaller animals, small biomass, younger, not grown up yet (wouldn't have got this one)

5. Fewer species of seaweed (with disturbance);
Only the well adapted survive, competition etc etc, decrease in diversity, decrease in food

6. (So) fewer niches /habitats (for large animals)
Tie in with point 5

Definitely the hardest HSW question I've seen, those ratios grrr
Reply 7
Original post by WheezyT
Hey, so I'll copy the markscheme and try to give you a break down of what I think it means (I remember doing this in a mock class test, it screwed my head right over, teacher didn't like it either)

1. Fewer larger animals/more smaller animals where more
people/more disturbance; I would have said, more people so there is more disturbance, so plants cannot grow to there tallest/biggest because the soil etc disturbed.

2. 0.09 linked to 34.6/appropriate link between row 4 and
row 1;:

I think this means, low biomass, low abundance of animals as more humans about scaring off the animals so they feed less

3. Larger animals affected by human activity;
animals scared off?

4. Smaller animals are young animals;
Smaller animals, small biomass, younger, not grown up yet (wouldn't have got this one)

5. Fewer species of seaweed (with disturbance);
Only the well adapted survive, competition etc etc, decrease in diversity, decrease in food

6. (So) fewer niches /habitats (for large animals)
Tie in with point 5

Definitely the hardest HSW question I've seen, those ratios grrr

thanks. the questions still screwed my head over :s-smilie:
Feel like it shouldnt have been a question, because the wording is SOOO poor.

Quick Reply