The Student Room Group

Girlfriend turned vegan - do we have to break up??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
He shouldn't have to eat only vegan food just because she is.

Er, I agree, and never said otherwise. (;
Original post by Anonymous
Please see post above we actually sorted this problem already.

And as said, there is simply no way vegan sources of protein could replace animal proteins for a serious bodybuilder. No vegetable proteins have the same amino acid profile as animal proteins do (not necessarily meat).

As said, I'm yet to see an actually big or succesful vegan bodybuilder. I do know very well there are vegetable sources of protein too, but it just isn't the same. For instance, how could you make a vegan meal with high protein and no carbs or fat? (as in compared to 250g chicken with broccoli) I'm sure you have great vegan recipes etc, but for a bodybuilder the diet is very specific.

Didn't read through all three pages sorry but if you say it's sorted good for you! :smile:

''no way vegan sources of protein for a serious bodybuilding" Oh don't give me that silly :tongue:
Perhalps the following links might be of interest of you, or maybe not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/sports/vegans-muscle-their-way-into-bodybuilding.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/bodybuilders

Either way, I am not here to argue or convert you. You need to do what you think is best for you and walk your own path. All the best! :smile:
Original post by awe
Er, I agree, and never said otherwise. (;

Then lets pretend this conversation never happened.
As long as she's putting your meat in her mouth I don't see the problem
Cook your own meals. :dontknow:

I mostly eat vegan, and know that my partner would never expect me to prepare meat for him, just as I wouldn't expect him to only eat my vegan meals.

You should also perhaps consider viewing your relationship as a romantic partnership rather than "two people who are obliged to be useful to each other". If you're unhappy with her not evening out the fact that you work more, either find something else she can do or leave.

EDIT: Just read the "resolution". Good for you, I guess [*internal screaming*].
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes.
Original post by scrotgrot
It's no extra work to cook two meals at once. There's no real justification for her not touching meat, it's already been killed for heaven's sake, and if it's not about protecting the fluffy animals and she just thinks it's disgusting then she's just using the ideology as an excuse to be obnoxious.

After you've had a good little row about this, petulantly insist on cooking your meals separately to hers, buy separate implements, pans etc and be a right martyr about it. Fight fire with fire.

As others have said, once you've made your point, a slow cooker makes delicious rich stews very cheaply and with minimal fuss.

but buy eating it you are paying for the replacement of the meat and therefore the next animals to be killed.

if people stopped buying meat, the supermarkets would stop buying it in, therefore the farmers would switch to other income sources (and thus stop killing the animals)
Original post by Pop_tart
Didn't read through all three pages sorry but if you say it's sorted good for you! :smile:

''no way vegan sources of protein for a serious bodybuilding" Oh don't give me that silly :tongue:
Perhalps the following links might be of interest of you, or maybe not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/sports/vegans-muscle-their-way-into-bodybuilding.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/bodybuilders

Either way, I am not here to argue or convert you. You need to do what you think is best for you and walk your own path. All the best! :smile:

Yeah but I have never heard of a vegan bodybuilder actually being succesful or winning competitions. Apart from a few, the guys on those websites do not actually carry very large amounts of muscle mass. They are ripped and in great shape, but many look "athletic" rather than a bodybuilder.

I do believe that if two identical twins trained to build muscle mass, and the other received animal and other vegan proteins only (with everything else exactly the same), the one having the quality animal proteins would end up with more muscle mass.

All my respect to those vegan bodybuilders though, especially the one who is 78!! (in someones previous comment)

But everyone walks their own path, i agree :smile:
"Yeah, the love of my life; we were going to have kids together. What? Oh: she wouldn't cook me steak on Thursdays."

If the above sentence seems absurd to you, that's because it is.
Original post by Profesh
"Yeah, the love of my life; we were going to have kids together. What? Oh: she wouldn't cook me steak on Thursdays."

If the above sentence seems absurd to you, that's because it is.

Come on already.. people who give replies like this clearly haven't read this thread which is somehting I don't expect you to do as its now 7 pages long.

As stated before the problem was unequal contribution to the household rather than "the wife not cooking me steak"
Come on already.. people who give replies like this clearly haven't read this thread which is somehting I don't expect you to do as its now 7 pages long.

As stated before the problem was unequal contribution to the household rather than "the wife not cooking me steak"

Couldn't resist; sorry.
Reply 131
I'd honestly break up with her.
I suggest you do too OP
Original post by Boristhethird
but buy eating it you are paying for the replacement of the meat and therefore the next animals to be killed.

if people stopped buying meat, the supermarkets would stop buying it in, therefore the farmers would switch to other income sources (and thus stop killing the animals)

Irrelevant, by that point meat is already bought and boyfriend will still cook it if she doesn't so consumption will not drop
Her being a vegan, you think you'd have realised that meat isn't her thing, really. Cooking it/handling it is against her newfound ethical beliefs. Basically, she doesn't want to be cooking dead animals. That you'd say that her not cooking meat is 'selfish' is in itself a selfish thing to say. Really, I don't believe that you should be in a relationship with her if you'd think about breaking up with her over something so petty. Getting protein in your diet isn't hard, even as a vegan (admittedly it takes more thinking about), I think you should just ask her to consider making more protein rich meals for you. As suggested by others, there are a multitude of ways that you can continue to include meat as a part of your diet (slow cooker, frozen pre prepared meals etc), you might want to actually talk to your girlfriend about this though, and see what she has to say about your thoughts.
Reply 134

She apologised for being so silly and promised things will change. We made a compromise, that she will cook me meats that are responsibly sourced from local farms, or wild game meats!! I'm fine with this, although it is a little more expensive I'm very happy with this compromise. In fact, I can't wait to try out some game meats!

That's ****ing worse. How do you think Mrs Pheasant feels when Mr Pheasant doesn't come home one day and leaves her with the children?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pariah
Presumably the converse of this is that a vegan can't expect me to produce vegan food for them? I'd be cool with that.

Of course not. This is such a foolish thing to say. Cooking a veg*n meal does not in any way offend a meat-eater's principles. Cooking meat totally goes against a veg*n's ethics.
Original post by Juno
That's ****ing worse. How do you think Mrs Pheasant feels when Mr Pheasant doesn't come home one day and leaves her with the children?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pheasants!! Thank's for this meal idea, I've totally forgotten about this wonderful bird :smile:
Reply 137
Pheasants!! Thank's for this meal idea, I've totally forgotten about this wonderful bird :smile:

Well what DO you think game birds are?

Except cruel and unnecessary as that's obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
I am respecting her decision!! as I said, she can eat whatever she wants and I'm willing to cook her veggie meals on the weekends when I'm cooking.

I need good quality animal proteins, I do bodybuilding for a sport. Not only do I love meat, but meat protein has a much better amino acid profile than veggie protein.. You maybe don't understand how difficult this is making my week evenings at the moment and how much stress its causing me.

veganbodybuilding - google it
Loads of ripped people
Reply 139
Yeah but I have never heard of a vegan bodybuilder actually being succesful or winning competitions. Apart from a few, the guys on those websites do not actually carry very large amounts of muscle mass. They are ripped and in great shape, but many look "athletic" rather than a bodybuilder.

I do believe that if two identical twins trained to build muscle mass, and the other received animal and other vegan proteins only (with everything else exactly the same), the one having the quality animal proteins would end up with more muscle mass.

All my respect to those vegan bodybuilders though, especially the one who is 78!! (in someones previous comment)

But everyone walks their own path, i agree :smile:

Look up Durian Ryder.

Also there is an Indian vegetarian bodybuilder forgot his name, but he pulled a plane etc.

Quick Reply