The Student Room Group

South Korea ferry: Hundreds missing as ship sinks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guren

The bravery of those 2 shown is beyond belief and no doubt they are in a better place now, where did you find that article?

On some forum - it's a translation of Korean TV news.
Reply 21
Original post by joey11223
The lose of life is huge, I couldn't believe it tbh, it seems the large majority might have actually drowned here, which seems pretty insane. I get initial confusion, but as soon as it started listing notably I cannot understand why you'd tell people to stay in their rooms/stay still and wait. It's fairly obvious the thing is going to capsize at that time, it was fairly quick though I believe they said it took an hour or so to tip right over, they had 46 lifeboats apparently, 2 were launched.....madness.

Also yet again we see a captain leaving his ship right away, some were saying he pretended to be a passenger and got on one of the lifeboats, not confirmed I assume. But damn where is his honor, okay you don't literally have to go down with the ship, but you'd surely try and organize the best rescue you could once you realized this was a serious incident.

Precisely. You would assume these authorities would learn something basic from history from the titanic or otherwise more recently in 2003 and do something. Hopefully there wont be a repeat incident!
Original post by joey11223
The lose of life is huge, I couldn't believe it tbh, it seems the large majority might have actually drowned here, which seems pretty insane. I get initial confusion, but as soon as it started listing notably I cannot understand why you'd tell people to stay in their rooms/stay still and wait. It's fairly obvious the thing is going to capsize at that time, it was fairly quick though I believe they said it took an hour or so to tip right over, they had 46 lifeboats apparently, 2 were launched.....madness.

Also yet again we see a captain leaving his ship right away, some were saying he pretended to be a passenger and got on one of the lifeboats, not confirmed I assume. But damn where is his honor, okay you don't literally have to go down with the ship, but you'd surely try and organize the best rescue you could once you realized this was a serious incident.

I will be interested to find out the outcome of the investigation into the captain - if he was just a stand-in, it may provide a bit of a clue as to why he failed to send out a call that something was wrong (it was actually a parent who had received a text who alerted that something was wrong with the ship) and why he just escaped first along with the crew. I always thought that it was an unspoken thing that the captain would always be that last to be off a ship.

It's so sad that he told everyone to stay in their places and with the majority being kids, they actually listened to someone they trusted :frown:
Original post by Guren
Precisely. You would assume these authorities would learn something basic from history from the titanic or otherwise more recently in 2003 and do something. Hopefully there wont be a repeat incident!

The eerie thing is that it was on the same day as the Titanic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Guren
To be fair did you know London's air pollution is far beyond safe levels and the EU is forced to fine it few hundred million?
Although 2 wrongs don't make a right, looks like our generation will have to prioritize the climate, wonder where our degree skills could fit in there :tongue:

Didn't see that, but saw the other text videos.

Ah wow, we really do take so many things for granted at a cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/south-korea-ferry-vice-principal-rescued-from-sinking-ship-found-hanged-9269400.html

One of the survivors, the vice principal of the school where ~300 around the kids were from on the ship was found hanged :frown: RIP.
Original post by AspiringDoctor
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/south-korea-ferry-vice-principal-rescued-from-sinking-ship-found-hanged-9269400.html

One of the survivors, the vice principal of the school where ~300 around the kids were from on the ship was found hanged :frown: RIP.

Original post by yl95
Ah wow, we really do take so many things for granted at a cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They rub salt into the wounds some incompetent people do.

"South Korea admits ferry disaster dead bodies given to wrong families http://gu.com/p/3zy98/tf "

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending