The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Where were you guys when I needed help in deciding whether to go for Auto or Manual!? (Guess the Arsenal thread wasn't the best place though lol :colondollar:) Went with Auto in the end anyway cos I'm lazy. Yh I've started taking lessons :biggrin:

Original post by DaveSmith99
Don't get an automatic license :facepalm:

Nothing more to say than this.

What exactly are you getting taught? How to steer the wheels?
Where were you guys when I needed help in deciding whether to go for Auto or Manual!? (Guess the Arsenal thread wasn't the best place though lol :colondollar:) Went with Auto in the end anyway cos I'm lazy. Yh I've started taking lessons :biggrin:

Depends really what you want to do with the car. If you're just messing about London and that then an automatic is no different but you'd notice the difference quickly on the motorway with the loss of control. Manual is more efficient on fuel as well naturally. I'd find an automatic a bit frustrating tbh because you're not 100% on control of the car but it's just a habit really.

Personally would recommend learning on manual because using the clutch and engaging the engine is pretty much what driving is. But it's not much different! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Depends really what you want to do with the car. If you're just messing about London and that then an automatic is no different but you'd notice the difference quickly on the motorway with the loss of control. Manual is more efficient on fuel as well naturally. I'd find an automatic a bit frustrating tbh because you're not 100% on control of the car but it's just a habit really.

Personally would recommend learning on manual because using the clutch and engaging the engine is pretty much what driving is. But it's not much different! :smile:

Thanks Zurich. :smile:
I'll just be using the car to do the usual, help the fam out with shopping, picking up siblings from school occasionally and all that. Then come September and I'll be using it to and fro uni.

Do you mean getting an automatic car or doing an automatic license? Don't get an automatic license :facepalm:

Original post by 419
Nothing more to say than this.

What exactly are you getting taught? How to steer the wheels?

The amount of times I've heard this from my friends and other people is unbelievable! I just don't feel confident enough driving a manual, it's apparently harder to learn! I know that doing a manual will allow you to do both but personally I don't mind just being able to drive an auto. Inb4- "Watch when you become a proper driver, it'll come back to haunt you"- Possibly but ah well.

And have you guys ever TRIED driving auto before? Or do you just get this from what people tell you about how it's so easy and all that nonsense!?

lol you guys getting all emotional about it aww!
Reminds me of this video

:biggrin:
Reply 84
Anyone recommend a good car to get for first one? 18, male so bear insurance in mind :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The amount of times I've heard this from my friends and other people is unbelievable! I just don't feel confident enough driving a manual, it's apparently harder to learn! I know that doing a manual will allow you to do both but personally I don't mind just being able to drive an auto. Inb4- "Watch when you become a proper driver, it'll come back to haunt you"- Possibly but ah well.

And have you guys ever TRIED driving auto before? Or do you just get this from what people tell you about how it's so easy and all that nonsense!?
!

I wouldnt be put off with the clutch, you learn it in a few hours and then it becomes like blinking. You'll pick it up whilst youre learning what you would have learned in the automatic lessons anyway.

Had a rental car once that was automatic and it felt kind of weird. It's not easier because as I say using the gears isnt hard anyway, it just becomes second nature. Would be odd to have an automatic on the motorway, you'd probably fall asleep at the wheel for lack of physical activity :dong:
Reply 86
Thanks Zurich. :smile:
I'll just be using the car to do the usual, help the fam out with shopping, picking up siblings from school occasionally and all that. Then come September and I'll be using it to and fro uni.

That's what the lessons are for. Trust, everyone's been there done that on the nervous boat. But eventually, it becomes easier and you confidence sky rockets. For me it was within a few lessons. I went from stalling and struggling to turn the car around very big corners- it was a miracle I didn't crash- to wanting to turning corners one handed (instructor obviously wasn't too pleased about this).

Oh yeah, I have driven an automatic benz before. Bloody boring as ****.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by FKLW
Anyone recommend a good car to get for first one? 18, male so bear insurance in mind :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Public buses.

Get your license, put it in your wallet and use it as Id when you need to get alcohol or entry into a brothel.

Wait till you're 25 and get a proper car then. **** paying the insurance price.

It will be a slightly easier learning curve yeah, but I'd at least try learning manual first then you can always switch to an auto if you're struggling.

Original post by Zürich
Reminds me of this video

:biggrin:

I failed by test twice, my dad's Irish and this was pretty similar to his reaction.
Original post by 419
That's what the lessons are for. Trust, everyone's been there done that on the nervous boat. But eventually, it becomes easier and you confidence sky rockets. For me it was within a few lessons. I went from stalling and struggling to turn the car around very big corners- it was a miracle I didn't crash- to wanting to turning corners one handed (instructor obviously wasn't too pleased about this).

Oh yeah, I have driven an automatic benz before. Bloody boring as ****.

Funny enough, that's the car I have an auto benz. We used it on our way up to Birmingham for an open day and though I wasn't the driver obviously. Yes I realised that's what lessons are for but hey, I'll just follow my initiative. What do you mostly use your car for?

Original post by Zürich
I wouldnt be put off with the clutch, you learn it in a few hours and then it becomes like blinking. You'll pick it up whilst youre learning what you would have learned in the automatic lessons anyway.

Had a rental car once that was automatic and it felt kind of weird. It's not easier because as I say using the gears isnt hard anyway, it just becomes second nature. Would be odd to have an automatic on the motorway, you'd probably fall asleep at the wheel for lack of physical activity :dong:

Hmmm I see what you mean, very understandable. It's too late now though and I'm alright with doing auto even though people think I'm crazy for doing so! And like I asked 419, what do you use your car for?
It will be a slightly easier learning curve yeah, but I'd at least try learning manual first then you can always switch to an auto if you're struggling. I failed by test twice, my dad's Irish and this was pretty similar to his reaction.

I'll take that on board, thanks.

Hmmm I see what you mean, very understandable. It's too late now though and I'm alright with doing auto even though people think I'm crazy for doing so! And like I asked 419, what do you use your car for?

Mainly long distance journeys tbh, always over and back to Holland so getting a car was pretty much more cost effective than flying every other month. Especially between say 4 people on the ferry, a car almost pays for itself by avoiding the air fares. Been in Germany alot this year as well at Uni so it's handy as **** just to jump in the car. In London my parents live out Watford way now so it's handy for heading out there, shopping, airport runs and helping mates move house for the price of a few pints :biggrin:

Wouldnt bother with a car if I was in London exclusively, tube/trains work perfectly and you cant drive after a few drinks anyway
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92
Funny enough, that's the car I have an auto benz. We used it on our way up to Birmingham for an open day and though I wasn't the driver obviously. Yes I realised that's what lessons are for but hey, I'll just follow my initiative. What do you mostly use your car for?

I don't have a car. It's not justifiable for me to been in London for the reason Zurich said, insurance and I'm pretty much always in the congestion charge zone.

When I do drive other people's car though, it's usually a german whip.
Original post by Zürich
Mainly long distance journeys tbh, always over and back to Holland so getting a car was pretty much more cost effective than flying every other month. Especially between say 4 people on the ferry, a car almost pays for itself by avoiding the air fares. Been in Germany alot this year as well at Uni so it's handy as **** just to jump in the car. In London my parents live out Watford way now so it's handy for heading out there, shopping, airport runs and helping mates move house for the price of a few pints :biggrin:

Wouldnt bother with a car if I was in London exclusively, tube/trains work perfectly and you cant drive after a few drinks anyway

Really?! That's soo cool! I haven't been back to the Netherlands (My origins in Eindoven) for over a year now. We used to go at least once every year but things are getting busy. We go by plane! and sometimes with the ferry (P&O cruises) or Eurostar and drive through Calais.

I don't have any family outside of London, only in the nethelands and america but I still think it's okay to use a car if you're exclusive to London :smile: It's a big place!! If I'm going Central then I'll just take tube cos of congestion charge and shizz.
Reply 94
Original post by 419
Public buses.

Get your license, put it in your wallet and use it as Id when you need to get alcohol or entry into a brothel.

Wait till you're 25 and get a proper car then. **** paying the insurance price.

Got my licence already. Public transport is **** up north though? Anything would do tbh. Thinking of a 1.2 Corsa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really?! That's soo cool! I haven't been back to the Netherlands (My origins in Eindoven) for over a year now. We used to go at least once every year but things are getting busy. We go by plane! and sometimes with the ferry (P&O cruises) or Eurostar and drive through Calais.

I don't have any family outside of London, only in the nethelands and america but I still think it's okay to use a car if you're exclusive to London :smile: It's a big place!! If I'm going Central then I'll just take tube cos of congestion charge and shizz.

aha, another Dutchie around is no bad thing :wink: Always been over and back to Amsterdam my whole life, usually fly from London City so it's literally a 30m flight but it's just the cost that can add up. It's not a long drive anyway and I find it quite relaxing tbh.

Depends where you live really, always found TFL just the job for me. London's a big place but I have absolutely no interest in anywhere West of Bush, South of Clapham or East of Bethnal Green 90% of the time :tongue:

It is handy for shopping and that for sure, bought a load of ikea the other week and I wouldnt have fancied logging it on the train tbh :tongue:
Original post by FKLW
Got my licence already. Public transport is **** up north though? Anything would do tbh. Thinking of a 1.2 Corsa?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Solid car for the city and that, big fan of Audis myself(have an A3)

:coma:
Reply 97
Original post by 419
Aware me on some more Jay sean. I only know about his mainstream work.

Define his mainstream work, you talking about his music since he joined Cash Money? I ain't a huge fan or anything, have like 6 songs of his songs, the song I posted above (Just a Friend) is probably the most obscure one I know and probably my favourite.
Reply 98
Original post by Zürich
Solid car for the city and that, big fan of Audis myself(have an A3)

:coma:

That's the dream man :biggrin:

Out of curiosity, what plate is our A3 and how much did you pay for it/insurance. Imagine it's fairly (completely) out of my price range though :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I passed my driving test last July and have not driven since. Will definitely need extra lessons when I get my first car or I'll end killing someone and myself :/

Latest