The Student Room Group

Meat eaters, defend your position

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
oh you...:redface:

No, seriously, I was SOLD(ish) on your speech, I was about to put down my animal-fat-laced Fruit Pastilles and then "oral satisfaction" made me forget your point, sorry about that.
Original post by maddo
No, seriously, I was SOLD(ish) on your speech, I was about to put down my animal-fat-laced Fruit Pastilles and then "oral satisfaction" made me forget your point, sorry about that.

well it's satisfaction of the oral features of the body (the taste buds), how can you blame me for the choice of words? :tongue: I blame you for your dirty mind!
Reply 42
I don't know why I read threads like this, because the majority of the responses makes me feel so sad at how other humans care so little for animals :frown:
I've been vegan for a few years now, because I decided to educate myself on the abuse and torture that goes on in dairy farms and slaughter houses (before their death), and it sucks to know that my actions will amount to so little because most of the population still views certain animals as being nothing more than 'our food' :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
well it's satisfaction of the oral features of the body (the taste buds), how can you blame me for the choice of words? :tongue: I blame you for your dirty mind!

Next time, say 'buccal', ain't nutt'n erotic about the word buccal, let me tell you...
I hate factory farming and cruelty to animals. But I am to week willed to be a vegetarian.
Tasty :sexface:
Reply 46
simpsons-food-chain.jpg
Original post by maddo
I like the company of chickens! I really love their party trick where they sit on my table and shed bits of yummy stuff onto my plate.

My stomach acid likes the company of chickens. :colone:
Reply 48
Original post by felamaslen
My stomach acid likes the company of chickens. :colone:

I like the company of your stomach acid.
By the way, I don't do as some people do and say "here are the people; here are the animals" and create a solid line between the two. I believe that some animals such as dolphins, chimpanzees and other great apes are open to a sufficient range of suffering such that we should not kill and eat them.
Original post by maddo
I like the company of your stomach acid.

This is getting weird now. :s-smilie:
Reply 51
Original post by felamaslen
This is getting weird now. :s-smilie:

It's getting weird?

You are talking about chickens.

Just after midnight...

Online...

With someone you don't know and will never meet.

That's just your stomach acid talking.
I won't eat anything which is the product of bad treatment of animals (non-free range eggs etc), but I basically don't see anything wrong with killing animals for food if they're not made to suffer unnecessarily.

Saying that, I have no idea what happens to the cows which become the beef on my plate etc. But I won't knowingly eat anything which is the product of particular unnecessary cruelty.
(edited 10 years ago)
Burden of proof is on you is my excuse.

Humans are omnivores, so biologically speaking it is limiting natural dietary variety for what I am sorry to say seems to be a phenomenon born more out of the comfort and privilege of a all but post-scarcity (food wise) environment, or because the environment isn't 'meat rich' in that either the landscape doesn't support livestock well and the people cannot afford meat.

I eat meat because I can.

I eat meat because it's good for me.

I eat it because it tastes good and I enjoy it.

I eat meat because I don't anthropromorphise animals.

I eat meat because if it is murder than vegetarianism is genocide.

I eat meat because if I was on offer most carnivorous/omnivorous animals would feast on me without a second thought. They aren't even capable of that sort of thinking.

Eat meat? Fine. Don't eat meat? More power to you. I personally find people who turn their diets into some psuedo-religion or moralistic issue a bit odd. it's food, not your soul. You do not gain enlightenment, or evolve to a higher level of existence, or even become 'superior' for what you chose to eat or not eat. At best you just become a bit more difficult to feed during a meal out and at worst you become a bit of an annoying tit.

I think what to take away from this thread is eat as you will, but don't try and force your dietary habits on others. that just makes you a bit of a dickhead. I have vegetarian friends and they're my friends because at no point have they lectured me over my hamburger.
vegetarian is fine, dickhead isn't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
I see vegetarians and vegans just as immoral as meat-eaters. It doesn't matter what you eat, something has to die.

Aren't plants living, breathing organisms just like animals are?

How can you justify killing vegetables?

How is it different from killing animals, and how is it more moral?

Maybe we should all commit suicide to stop the pain and suffering we have caused the world.
Reply 55
Plants don't have a nervous system, or a brain to process the sensations, so cannot feel pain.
Reply 56
Original post by the bear
our digestive system is finely tuned to eat meat. vegetarians are deficient in many minerals, vitamins etc.

You can get minerals and vitamins so easily from other foods.. Vegetarians on average live 7 years longer than meat eaters : )
Reply 57
Original post by May95
You can get minerals and vitamins so easily from other foods.. Vegetarians on average live 7 years longer than meat eaters : )

but it seems like 70 years
1. Its nutritional content - why should I supplement a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle by taking protein powder when I can just add a piece of chicken to my meals? A lot of vegetarians and vegans are losing out on key nutrients/amino acids by not eating certain foods. Why would I want to do that? Vitamin B12 is key and without supplementation (man made) you are lacking in a key nutrient. Again, why would you wish to do that to your body?

2. The vegetarian/vegan industry isn't as innocent as it claims. The cultivation of certain products has led to forests being ruined and the mass production of such alternative foods has led to mass damage to the environment. Vegans and vegetarians can tell us all the time that we kill poor animals but there actions also have a devastating affect on the world around us. If you want to do research on it then look up tofu. Any vegetarian/vegan using the environment argument against a meat eater is nothing more than a hypocrite. Tofu has a terrible carbon footprint.

3. I'm a humanitarian - the notion that animals lower down the food chain get killed to me is normal and as normal as any other animal out there killing us to feed if they desired to do so. The food chain is and always has existed with the only main difference now is its industrialised and has become part of a supply chain for supply and demand reasons whereas in the past hunter gatherers didn't have such to serve them so would have to hunt.

4. Health\Fitness - this relates to point one - most vegan/vegetarian body builders supplement their diets with egg (eating too many is bad) and protein powders which I think is wrong and I am against it. I'd rather eat natural protein sources rather than man made supplements and therefore meat such as chicken is the best choice. Creatine, Carnosine, DHA and EPA are all things only found in animal based foods. Yes you can take creatine as a supplement but again that's man made and not natural. I'd rather a more natural diet.

5. Biology - humans are built to eat a paleo diet - what's wrong with our diet isn't an over indulgence in meat as some think, its an over dependency and craving of sugars. Many people get addicted to sugars and crave it when they should be eating complex carbs, healthy fats and natural sources of proteins.
Reply 59
Original post by xbellex
Plants don't have a nervous system, or a brain to process the sensations, so cannot feel pain.

So causing living things pain is the immoral part of killing?

Does that mean if I devised a method of killing animals without causing them pain, you could say that killing animals would equally moral?

I pretty sure with current technology, that could be arranged. Shouldn't you then be arguing for the painless killing of animals?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending