The Student Room Group

MMI interview!!!

Hello can anyone shed light on what I can expect at a MMI interview?
What different stations have u had? what sort of questions do mmi's ask..?
Reply 1
I had one MMI interview at Dundee so I'll tell you a bit about my experience although bare in mind it will vary between unis :wink:

MMI stands for Multiple Mini Interviews and interviews are basically held in a sort of "speed dating" style. My interview consisted of 10 different stations each of which lasted approximately 7 minutes where I was asked to complete a task (with or without a partner/team-mate), asked some questions more like a traditional interview process or it was a role play type thing :biggrin:

I can't go into much more detail on a public forum on the internet as I signed a non-disclosure agreement :tongue:

For prep, I'd say do the bog-standard stuff like reading through your PS, making sure you know what your answer is if they say "why medicine?" etc and think about the skills they'll be looking for in a future doctor which many of the questions may pick up on e.g. team-work, empathy, communication etc.

For the task stations talk through all your thought-processes with the interviewer so rather than immediately say "I'm going with option C because..." start with the question, identify what they're asking you to look for when making your decision and then explain why you've discounted the other options too. Also practice ethical questions - giving balanced arguments etc - and read up on some recent scientific advancements before the interview. If you make a mistake admit it! Your not trying to portray yourself as a divine god or something, show them you're willing to learn and improve yourself :tongue:

A lot of what you need to do well in an MMI you'll automatically be doing for panel interviews anyway and part of the point of doing MMIs is that they through up questions you couldn't possibly have prepared for anyway so don't stress about practicising loads of problem-solving questions and stuff. :yy:

Honestly smiling, talking nicely and being friendly take you a long, long way! :biggrin: Especially in the role play :cool: You'd be surprised at the number of people who can't do just that! :rolleyes:

Hope that helps and bonne chance! :hat2:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I had MMIs at Manchester and Leicester, and I'd just say to practice everything you'd do for a standard panel interview. There are some stations that you really can't prepare for, but that's not a bad thing, they're just testing your skills. Typical things that may come up apart are role plays, ethical situations, maths questions etc. The key is to stay calm, think everything through (but don't overthink) and be yourself, as clichè as that sounds :smile:
I actually really enjoyed my MMIs, and liked that I had more time and more chance to express myself compared to a panel interview
Good luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ni7
I had MMIs at Manchester and Leicester, and I'd just say to practice everything you'd do for a standard panel interview. There are some stations that you really can't prepare for, but that's not a bad thing, they're just testing your skills. Typical things that may come up apart are role plays, ethical situations, maths questions etc. The key is to stay calm, think everything through (but don't overthink) and be yourself, as clichè as that sounds :smile:
I actually really enjoyed my MMIs, and liked that I had more time and more chance to express myself compared to a panel interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are the maths questions A level standard? :frown: im so crap at maths im a grad student last time i did maths was at gcse level! Thank you so much for yor advice and support...
Reply 4
Original post by -Neuro-
I had one MMI interview at Dundee so I'll tell you a bit about my experience although bare in mind it will vary between unis :wink:

MMI stands for Multiple Mini Interviews and interviews are basically held in a sort of "speed dating" style. My interview consisted of 10 different stations each of which lasted approximately 7 minutes where I was asked to complete a task (with or without a partner/team-mate), asked some questions more like a traditional interview process or it was a role play type thing :biggrin:

I can't go into much more detail on a public forum on the internet as I signed a non-disclosure agreement :tongue:

For prep, I'd say do the bog-standard stuff like reading through your PS, making sure you know what your answer is if they say "why medicine?" etc and think about the skills they'll be looking for in a future doctor which many of the questions may pick up on e.g. team-work, empathy, communication etc.

For the task stations talk through all your thought-processes with the interviewer so rather than immediately say "I'm going with option C because..." start with the question, identify what they're asking you to look for when making your decision and then explain why you've discounted the other options too. Also practice ethical questions - giving balanced arguments etc - and read up on some recent scientific advancements before the interview. If you make a mistake admit it! Your not trying to portray yourself as a divine god or something, show them you're willing to learn and improve yourself :tongue:

A lot of what you need to do well in an MMI you'll automatically be doing for panel interviews anyway and part of the point of doing MMIs is that they through up questions you couldn't possibly have prepared for anyway so don't stress about practicising loads of problem-solving questions and stuff. :yy:

Honestly smiling, talking nicely and being friendly take you a long, long way! :biggrin: Especially in the role play :cool: You'd be surprised at the number of people who can't do just that! :rolleyes:

:o:o:o:):smile: I really appreciate that reply! Its really helped me..im so nervous i have just under a month ro prepare and im bricking it! I very scared on the maths questions as I havent done a level maths:frown::frown:
Reply 5
Original post by SSS_JJJ
Are the maths questions A level standard? :frown: im so crap at maths im a grad student last time i did maths was at gcse level! Thank you so much for yor advice and support...

No its barely GCSE don't fret about it! Just brush up on conversions eg milligrams to grams etc and it'll be fine :smile: I'm pretty sure I got all the maths wrong at an interview and I still got in. That's the beauty of MMI, you can make up for a bad station :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ni7
No its barely GCSE don't fret about it! Just brush up on conversions eg milligrams to grams etc and it'll be fine :smile: I'm pretty sure I got all the maths wrong at an interview and I still got in. That's the beauty of MMI, you can make up for a bad station :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! awesome!!! Which have you insured/firmed?
Reply 7
Original post by SSS_JJJ
:o:o:o:):smile: I really appreciate that reply! Its really helped me..im so nervous i have just under a month ro prepare and im bricking it! I very scared on the maths questions as I havent done a level maths:frown::frown:

No problemo! :biggrin: I actually enjoyed my MMI interview and felt a lot more at ease in comparison to the traditional one! A nice thought to have is that's its not the end of the world if you mess up one station as you can very well redeem yourself at the others. One month is more than enough to prepare :yep:

I didn't get any questions centering academics in my MMI but you shouldn't worry about the maths! A lot candidates won't have done it either and most unis don't specify it as a requirement so it must be based of GCSE knowledge or the questions are stylised similar to the ones you'll have encountered in the QR section of the UKCAT! :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by -Neuro-
No problemo! :biggrin: I actually enjoyed my MMI interview and felt a lot more at ease in comparison to the traditional one! A nice thought to have is that's its not the end of the world if you mess up one station as you can very well redeem yourself at the others. One month is more than enough to prepare :yep:

I didn't get any questions centering academics in my MMI but you shouldn't worry about the maths! A lot candidates won't have done it either and most unis don't specify it as a requirement so it must be based of GCSE knowledge or the questions are stylised similar to the ones you'll have encountered in the QR section of the UKCAT! :wink:

Thanks so much!!
Reply 9
Original post by -Neuro-

hey can I ask you what you used to revise for problem solving questions, was it a scenario then an answer or was it..multi options which u have to rank?
Reply 10
Original post by ni7

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey can I ask you what you used to revise for problem solving questions, was it a scenario then an answer or was it..multi options which u have to rank?
Original post by SSS_JJJ

I didn't revise for my problem solving stations :tongue:

Going through your isc medical interview book, keeping up with medical news, reading up on ethics & being sociable and knowing how to interact with different sorts of people was all you needed for them :yy:
Reply 12
Original post by -Neuro-
I didn't revise for my problem solving stations :tongue:

Going through your isc medical interview book, keeping up with medical news, reading up on ethics & being sociable and knowing how to interact with different sorts of people was all you needed for them :yy:

One more question! Where did u read up on ethics? just from the isc one? Ive kind of done ethics in the sense of abortion, euthanasia, confidentiality..but im really bogging myself down, like ive prepped 200 pages of stuff?:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar: Thanks for helping, my stress levels are high, plus im self funding as im agrad student, so life stinks atm.
Original post by SSS_JJJ
One more question! Where did u read up on ethics? just from the isc one? Ive kind of done ethics in the sense of abortion, euthanasia, confidentiality..but im really bogging myself down, like ive prepped 200 pages of stuff?:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar: Thanks for helping, my stress levels are high, plus im self funding as im agrad student, so life stinks atm.

I read the ones in that book, some stuff on wikipedia and I've read this book too (for general interest purposes is a very handy thing to have read imo :tongue:)! The materials I've just mentioned and keeping up to date with news is more than enough and most candidates won't have even done a small fraction of this!

200 PAGES!!! :eek3: I think your'e sweating it a bit too much, give it a break and relax a bit more with your prep as you don't want to burn out and lose motivation when the actual time comes round :yep: You sound very well prepared and with that level of work I'm sure you'll do fine :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by -Neuro-
I read the ones in that book, some stuff on wikipedia and I've read this book too (for general interest purposes is a very handy thing to have read imo :tongue:)! The materials I've just mentioned and keeping up to date with news is more than enough and most candidates won't have even done a small fraction of this!

200 PAGES!!! :eek3: I think your'e sweating it a bit too much, give it a break and relax a bit more with your prep as you don't want to burn out and lose motivation when the actual time comes round :yep: You sound very well prepared and with that level of work I'm sure you'll do fine :wink:

Yeh, i did buy that book yday actually!!! I found it dead confusing lol, its a bit fancy :colondollar::colondollar:did you learnt the book, GO TO MY INTERVIEW FOR ME PLEASEEEEEEEE haha I don't know why i'm so scared! Im just going through some scenarios. Did they ask you many questions about work experience?
Original post by SSS_JJJ
Yeh, i did buy that book yday actually!!! I found it dead confusing lol, its a bit fancy :colondollar::colondollar:did you learnt the book, GO TO MY INTERVIEW FOR ME PLEASEEEEEEEE haha I don't know why i'm so scared! Im just going through some scenarios. Did they ask you many questions about work experience?

You're very enthusiastic! Which is a good thing :wink:

Yeah it's well written and it wasn't produced with the intent of helping medical applicants but more as a guide for those with a general interest in the topic and would like to learn more! Read but don't memorise it! It helps you look at things from different perspectives and question you're current beliefs. Just become familiar with the key points from all the chapters and bear in mind some of the arguments in it :biggrin:

Which uni is your interview for out of interest?

I had one station where they asked about work experience iirc, it's more about what you learnt and what you observed in terms of doctor-patient interaction which they are asking you about. One of the things which I mentioned was how a GP communicated with children! I mentioned how I imagined that it would be incredibly challenging trying to diagnose children as they struggle to articulate problems while parents were not themselves experiencing symptoms, yet they have to arrive at a diagnosis by piecing together input from both parties. :wink: I can't say too much more but have a few good exampled in your head and also from voluntary work if you have done any of that!

My MMI interview was at Dundee!
Reply 16
Original post by -Neuro-
You're very enthusiastic! Which is a good thing :wink:

Yeah it's well written and it wasn't produced with the intent of helping medical applicants but more as a guide for those with a general interest in the topic and would like to learn more! Read but don't memorise it! It helps you look at things from different perspectives and question you're current beliefs. Just become familiar with the key points from all the chapters and bear in mind some of the arguments in it :biggrin:

Which uni is your interview for out of interest?

I had one station where they asked about work experience iirc, it's more about what you learnt and what you observed in terms of doctor-patient interaction which they are asking you about. One of the things which I mentioned was how a GP communicated with children! I mentioned how I imagined that it would be incredibly challenging trying to diagnose children as they struggle to articulate problems while parents were not themselves experiencing symptoms, yet they have to arrive at a diagnosis by piecing together input from both parties. :wink: I can't say too much more but have a few good exampled in your head and also from voluntary work if you have done any of that!

My MMI interview was at Dundee!

haha good one :wink: Mine is ST.georges :smile: Thank you soo much you have been of an amazing help, and so I shall give you a little green gem, and if I get in, You shall get more haha :smile:honestly, I really appreciate it, I have been stressing so much thinking 3 weeks is not enough for prep!
Original post by SSS_JJJ

Some good free MMI practice below:

http://www.blackstonetutors.co.uk/multiple-mini-interview-mmi-questions-and-answers.html

Quick Reply

Latest