The Student Room Group

Death Row or Life Imprisonment?

Theoretically, say if you committed mass murder, would you prefer to be given the death penalty or life imprisonment with no chance of parole?

I watched this death row documentary earlier and at the end it posed an idea that this guy who killed a police officer in america was either facing the death penalty again after his execution date was pushed back to reinvestigate, or he could have his sentence changed to life imprisonment.

I'd prefer the death penalty both for me and for someone else. If I was the mass murderer, it would save me sitting away in a prison for years and years because I'd have no chance of release. If someone else was the mass murderer then the death penalty would be better as it would prevent them ever recommitting a crime, it would give a form of closure to the family of the victims, and it would save the government a heck of a lot of money that life imprisonment would cost them.

Scroll to see replies

probably life in prison if the prison wasn't inhumane
I'd happily choose to live relatively badly than die but that's just me :lol: I'm pretty optimistic myself
Reply 2
Life imprisonment for me, death penalty for them. It's terrible but I'm scared of death so I'd rather sit around in prison and put it off. I agree with you for the reason for a death penalty though.
Reply 3
Death Row. Saves me a whole of time wasted in life imprisonment
Reply 4
If I was a mass murderer, I'm mentally unstable. If I'm mentally unstable, I'll live in chaos regardless of death.

I'd be one of those creepy ass mothers who kills people and shows no remorse for anything, then just spend my life in prison freaking the crap out of jail wardens walking the halls (do we actually have them? I'm never really sure).
Reply 5
death row, saves time and saves money. 3 meals a day and all other essentials over a lifetime cost quite a lot
Original post by Geena-
Theoretically, say if you committed mass murder, would you prefer to be given the death penalty or life imprisonment with no chance of parole?

I watched this death row documentary earlier and at the end it posed an idea that this guy who killed a police officer in america was either facing the death penalty again after his execution date was pushed back to reinvestigate, or he could have his sentence changed to life imprisonment.

I'd prefer the death penalty both for me and for someone else. If I was the mass murderer, it would save me sitting away in a prison for years and years because I'd have no chance of release. If someone else was the mass murderer then the death penalty would be better as it would prevent them ever recommitting a crime, it would give a form of closure to the family of the victims, and it would save the government a heck of a lot of money that life imprisonment would cost them.

It's interesting you chose the death penalty. Most murderers on death row in the US do all that they can to avoid being executed knowing the best they'll get is life in prison. It means many expensive appeals so it can take years to execute someone.
Life imprisonment for both me and others. I don't believe in the death penalty, end of.
Original post by Geena-

I don't really believe that the state should have the power to end someone's life. Life imprisonment is much more of a punishment - its a life of misery (one would hope), is more humane (otherwise you're as bad as them), and well... wouldn't want anyone been falsely accused now would we (by accident or on purpose).
I think people should be sentenced to life in prison and should only be provided what is necessary to live (food, water ect..) I also think a prisoner shouldn't be allowed things like xboxes and tv's and if they want to do something then they can become educated and work towards a qualification. If they don't want to learn then they can sit in their cell all day.
Original post by physicsbook
I think people should be sentenced to life in prison and should only be provided what is necessary to live (food, water ect..) I also think a prisoner shouldn't be allowed things like xboxes and tv's and if they want to do something then they can become educated and work towards a qualification. If they don't want to learn then they can sit in their cell all day.

Yes thats the thing from what I hear Life in Prison isn't even that bad for someone who is quiet socially alienated and also very scared of uncertainty prison doesn't seem too bad and I like to call a place home and not to move around a lot and it would be very safe due to lots of prisons guards.There are many positives like avoiding annoying family members, a lot more time to lie around/contemplate life and there is a lot less pressure(life has a lot of pressure what will you do if you lose your job etc???bills?etc a lot of lifes stresses can be solved by prison).

I think Prison really should be like the poor parts of Africa how can innocent Africans get worse conditions than prisoners and if the prisoners are innocent then they got unlucky like 1 billion other hungry people so this makes a lot of sense.In general the Death Penalty is much better with a Public Execution and Public Assaults for lesser crimes, I think humiliation is one of the things humans fear the most by far proven by how they are obsessed with how they dress, making sure there isn't any stains or etc with these occurring then crime rates would start to drop massively.
Life sentence. People who have done wrong should have a chance to reflect, regret and repent. Life sentence also humbles you and make you appreciate life. No point of death row....we're all going to die anyway.
If we are ruled and protected by a goverment thats tells us its wrong to kill people, then why would be ruled and protected by a goverment that deems itself to be protecting us by killing people.
Reply 13
There should be a death by exile option.

Pls get Batman reference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Death
Original post by consumed by stuff
If we are ruled and protected by a goverment thats tells us its wrong to kill people, then why would be ruled and protected by a goverment that deems itself to be protecting us by killing people.

Our government says it is wrong to murder someone, not wrong to kill them. There is a huge difference.
Original post by farrisraza
death row, saves time and saves money. 3 meals a day and all other essentials over a lifetime cost quite a lot

The death penalty actually tends to cost more than life in prison, because the government have to allow many appeals and court proceedings before they execute them to be sure they don't kill the wrong person or kill someone who could be less dangerous/malicious than thought.

Original post by physicsbook

I heard somewhere that the reason some prisons give Xboxes etc. for good behaviour is so they have things they can threaten to take away if that person does something violent or whatever. I suppose it would be very hard to find any way of punishing someone who's in prison for life anyway otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Death penalty for me. If it was life imprisonment I'd basically be waiting around to die anyway, so the sooner the better.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Our government says it is wrong to murder someone, not wrong to kill them. There is a huge difference.

If by the difference you mean there is a uniform involved.
Original post by consumed by stuff
If by the difference you mean there is a uniform involved.

It comes down to legality, murder is the legal taking of life ,killing the illigel and the state decides the law. Its for this reason that i am for example a killer but not a murderer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending