The Student Room Group

Could you please help me with this questions?

I've uploaded the questions as attachment.
Thank you
Reply 1
I believe that it is too early to begin BMAT preparation, focus on your AS's! Sorry if I get any of these wrong,

15) This question requires really quick but simple mental maths. Average time per section 2 question is about 1 minute so don't spend too much time on questions like these in the actual exam if you have any troubles with them.

In 24 hours, there are 5 X half lives and 3 Y half lives:

24 / 4.8 = 5
24 / 8 = 3

So for X:
Initial = 320
1 HL = 160
2 HL = 80
5 HL = 10

And for Y:
Initial = 480
3 HL = 60

Combined count rate is 10+60=70.
Answer is D.

=============================================================

16) For this question, "=" is the proportional sign (I cannot type it).

According to the question:
x = z^2
y = 1/z^3

Rearrange equations for z:
z = sqroot(x)
z = cbroot(1/y)

sqroot(x) = cbroot(1/y)
x = sqroot(1/y)
x^2 = 1/y
x^3 = 1/y^2

Answer is D.

===============================================================================

9) I have no idea but I would put my bets on F. Check the mark scheme on the BMAT website.

12) Answer is B. I drew a quick sketch of the graph and worked out the answer from there.

71) Answer is A. Using my finger, I traced the path that point D would take according to the sequences.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mehhhh
I believe that it is too early to begin BMAT preparation, focus on your AS's! Sorry if I get any of these wrong,

15) This question requires really quick but simple mental maths. Average time per section 2 question is about 1 minute so don't spend too much time on questions like these in the actual exam if you have any troubles with them.

In 24 hours, there are 5 X half lives and 3 Y half lives:

24 / 4.8 = 5
24 / 8 = 3

So for X:
Initial = 320
1 HL = 160
2 HL = 80
5 HL = 10

And for Y:
Initial = 480
3 HL = 60

Combined count rate is 10+60=70.
Answer is D.

=============================================================

16) For this question, "=" is the proportional sign (I cannot type it).

According to the question:
x = z^2
y = 1/z^3

Rearrange equations for z:
z = sqroot(x)
z = cbroot(1/y)

sqroot(x) = cbroot(1/y)
x = sqroot(1/y)
x^2 = 1/y
x^3 = 1/y^2

Answer is D.

===============================================================================

9) I have no idea but I would put my bets on F. Check the mark scheme on the BMAT website.

12) Answer is B. I drew a quick sketch of the graph and worked out the answer from there.

71) Answer is A. Using my finger, I traced the path that point D would take according to the sequences.

Thank you very much, you were very clear :smile:
I'll take the IMAT on 29 April, but the material for it lacks, so I exercise doing the BMAT, even if I won't do it :smile:
Anyway thanks for the suggestions :smile:

9) Yes the correcy is F, could you tell me how have you reasoned please?
Reply 3
Could you also help me with this?
I would be very grateful
Original post by Leyslis

9) Yes the correcy is F, could you tell me how have you reasoned please

9) The answer is indeed F:

A relay neuron is the bit in the central nervous system whereby the decision is made to withdraw your finger ; inbetween the sensory and motor neuron. I presume you are just expected to know that the relay neuron is a relatively small distance :smile:

The sensory neuron will travel all the way from the tip of the finger, to the relay neuron.

The motor neuron will travel from the same relay neuron back to the muscle ; the muscle in your upper arm/forearm which will be a shorter distance than the tip of your finger.

Therefore sensory > motor > relay.
Original post by Leyslis
Could you also help me with this?
I would be very grateful

Amy & Bob must work on Monday (since Carla does not).
Bob is therefore working Monday, Tuesday & Friday (he only works 3 days a week).

That leaves Carla & Amy to both cover Wednesday & Thursday as each day requires 2 people.

Amy cannot work four conseuctive days and she is already working Monday, Wednesday & Thursday. Therefore she cannot work Tuesday. That means Carla must work Tuesday.

Carla cannot work four consective days and she is already working Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Therefore she cannot work Friday.

Therefore Carla works Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (A)
Original post by Jophesxi
Is it B?

It cannot be B because she is required to work on Thursday since Bob does not work that day; and 2 staff members are required.
Original post by Lionheartat20
It cannot be B because she is required to work on Thursday since Bob does not work that day; and 2 staff members are required.

Yeah, sorry, I've just redone it and got Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday too, I drew a table and mistook Bob's Friday tick as a Thursday tick :L
Original post by Jophesxi
Yeah, sorry, I've just redone it and got Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday too, I drew a table and mistaked Bob's Friday tick as a Thursday tick :L

If you've only got a minute in the exam, could be a bit time consuming :biggrin:

In my opinion for the OP's benefit, for the exam I would rule out as many options as possible within 30-45 seconds as it took me about 3 minutes without drawing anything:

E is wrong because you cannot work 4 days in a row.
The only other thing I would work out in time is that she must work Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Therefore:
B is wrong (no Thursday)
C is wrong (no Wednesday)

You are left with A & D. If I was running behind, I would have taken a guess at one of these 2 and you have a 50/50 chance and have not wasted too much time.
Reply 9
Original post by Lionheartat20
9) The answer is indeed F:

A relay neuron is the bit in the central nervous system whereby the decision is made to withdraw your finger ; inbetween the sensory and motor neuron. I presume you are just expected to know that the relay neuron is a relatively small distance :smile:

The sensory neuron will travel all the way from the tip of the finger, to the relay neuron.

The motor neuron will travel from the same relay neuron back to the muscle ; the muscle in your upper arm/forearm which will be a shorter distance than the tip of your finger.

Therefore sensory > motor > relay.

Thank you very much for you kindness and clarity!:smile:

I also couldn't do these questions :/ Could you help me please? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest