The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by corax
I know it's crazy aha!

Bankside looks quite nice from the outside and it's not too bad on the inside. I saw an en suite room and a room were two people shared a bathroom. The en suite room was the biggest Uni room I've ever seen! Honestly, it was actually a decent size. The other room wasn't too bad either! They were quite spacious and they had high ceilings which helped to make it seem less boxed in.

The kitchen's are pretty small but it is catered accommodation so you won't be spending much time in there. There's quite a large canteen area downstairs for where you get your food. I'm not sure if there's like a student hang out area, if there is I must of not seen it (I did join the tour late) or it is the kitchen bit because there was a sofa or two in one of the kitchens.

The only negative thing I'd say is that it smelt a bit in some of the corridors aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that sounds good. Choice 3 is Bankside most likely :biggrin:.

Good luck with making your decision. I'd taken the LSE offer if I were you :tongue:.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 5961
Original post by elpistolero7
Thank you, that sounds good. Choice 3 is Bankside most likely :biggrin:.

Good luck with making your decision. I'd taken the LSE offer if I were you :tongue:.

Glad I could help :smile:

Thank you and aha believe me I'm tempted to! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous1717
The taster day was only for offer holders!
And they'll probably have an open day in July that you can go to. :smile:

Ah. Ha, thank you for enlightening me.
Well that's really encouraging to hear. The people I know at LSE talk about it like its the most grim place on the planet, but I'm hoping its more like what you've said :redface:.

I really wish I could have gone but I'm across the Atlantic :redface:.

To be honest I'm fairly unsympathetic about people who complain about the social life - you're in the centre of one of the most vibrant, diverse cities around. I think if you can't carve out a social life there, you won't anywhere; even if that might not be Uni-related!

In terms of the Uni grimness, I was mostly chatting away to social policy/government/philosophy/history applicants and generally the afternoon was chock full of folks who were interested in 'change' if that's not too cheesy a term. I'd have perhaps gotten a different impression from the finance/economics/management folks who may be geared more towards IB/eventual riches as is the LSE stereotype but I suppose that's a little unfair of me to assume.

I'd really like to hear an opinion on bankside. I'm unsure on making it one of my 3 options right now.

I really wish I could have gone :frown:. .

I loved Bankside, as Corax said the rooms were dead spacious. Kitchens arguably an issue as there are 2 per entire floor. As much as it's catered you're only getting 1 meal a day so the kitchen is still important. A girl I spoke to said the first thing she bought was a fridge for her room as food (and even pots and pans!) got robbed with ridiculous speed.

It has a bar, which is the only halls to have one I think, and a common room plus pool tables and the like. For those reasons I don't think the canteen area is much of a hangout zone. There's also computers and a quiet study area too.

Location was lovely. Literally spitting distance from the Tate Modern and The Globe Theatre. Right on the Southbank.

Only drawback for me was the contract - 40 weeks as opposed to the 31 weeks at Rosebury, Passfield etc means basically another £1750 a year in accommodation which is pretty steep and not worth it for me. But, being an American student the longer contract is probably quite ideal for you
Original post by StretfordEnd
To be honest I'm fairly unsympathetic about people who complain about the social life - you're in the centre of one of the most vibrant, diverse cities around. I think if you can't carve out a social life there, you won't anywhere; even if that might not be Uni-related!

In terms of the Uni grimness, I was mostly chatting away to social policy/government/philosophy/history applicants and generally the afternoon was chock full of folks who were interested in 'change' if that's not too cheesy a term. I'd have perhaps gotten a different impression from the finance/economics/management folks who may be geared more towards IB/eventual riches as is the LSE stereotype but I suppose that's a little unfair of me to assume.

I loved Bankside, as Corax said the rooms were dead spacious. Kitchens arguably an issue as there are 2 per entire floor. As much as it's catered you're only getting 1 meal a day so the kitchen is still important. A girl I spoke to said the first thing she bought was a fridge for her room as food (and even pots and pans!) got robbed with ridiculous speed.

It has a bar, which is the only halls to have one I think, and a common room plus pool tables and the like. For those reasons I don't think the canteen area is much of a hangout zone. There's also computers and a quiet study area too.

Location was lovely. Literally spitting distance from the Tate Modern and The Globe Theatre. Right on the Southbank.

Only drawback for me was the contract - 40 weeks as opposed to the 31 weeks at Rosebury, Passfield etc means basically another £1750 a year in accommodation which is pretty steep and not worth it for me. But, being an American student the longer contract is probably quite ideal for you

I think I didn't word it very well last time around. They have decent social lives on the whole - its just within the uni and their uni friends is where its grim. Having lived in London, I'm not too fussed about having a decent time on the whole, I just hope the "uni experience" adds to my time being enjoyable rather than bring it down.

I'm a little concerned about the IB stuff since I'm going to be studying Maths, but it all comes as a package, so we'll see what happens. Your assumption is correct from what I've heard from friends at the Uni though, the Maths/Econ people are obsessed with money and IBanking :lol:.

Thanks a ton for the info on Bankside, its gone in as one of my three.
Oh I'm a British-Indian student, I'm just in America working during my gap year ; though I'd still prefer a 40 week contract, cause I plan on exploring all of London in some of the breaks + I can't be arsed to pack so often :lol:.
Reply 5965
I think this whole lack of social life partly stems from the fact that there's no proper fresher's week when you get there (from what I can find on their website, correct me if I'm wrong)

The Orientation Week seems to mostly involve getting to know the ins and outs of LSE (how the Libiary works etc). I could only find two organised undergraduate nights out were as in most Uni's you have a whole week dedicated to going to clubs, bar crawls and social events.

Still, being in London, there's no excuse really. Especially since you're in the centre of London, you can't be that far away from clubs/bars.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by corax
I think this whole lack of social life partly stems from the fact that there's no proper fresher's week when you get there (from what I can find on their website, correct me if I'm wrong)

The Orientation Week seems to mostly involve getting to know the ins and outs of LSE (how the Libiary works etc). I could only find two organised undergraduate nights out were as in most Uni's you have a whole week dedicated to going to clubs, bar crawls and social events.

Still, being in London, there's no excuse really. Especially since you're in the centre of London, you can't be that far away from clubs/bars.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, but you're mistaken. I'm a current first year student and we had an incredible freshers. The first week was full of nights out (Monday to Friday), all organised by RAG in co-ordination with our Students Union. We spent the weekend getting to know our fellow halls freshers and doing things like nightwalks. We also had a second week of freshers, coinciding with the first actual week of lectures (so that was slightly less well-attended).
Being in the committee now, towards the end of this term we'll be starting planning an incredible freshers for you lot! :smile:
Original post by Dilloneranger
Sorry, but you're mistaken. I'm a current first year student and we had an incredible freshers. The first week was full of nights out (Monday to Friday), all organised by RAG in co-ordination with our Students Union. We spent the weekend getting to know our fellow halls freshers and doing things like nightwalks. We also had a second week of freshers, coinciding with the first actual week of lectures (so that was slightly less well-attended).
Being in the committee now, towards the end of this term we'll be starting planning an incredible freshers for you lot! :smile:

Well Played
Reply 5968
Original post by Dilloneranger

Fair do's, sorry I didn't know about the Student Union's involvement. Sounds good though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jinism
It's just highly desirable (literally) which means it's not compulsory. If FM is not specified as a requirement in your offer letter you need not worry about it.

Thank you very much~
What did people think of the Statistics department?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StretfordEnd
Was massively impressed with the taster day tbh. I loved how the Government department actually developed a miniature lecture specifically for the invent instead of just taking a interesting but random lecture from one of their modules as other Unis do. That left me frustrated at other open days I've been too.

My only reservations were about other students and I needn't have worried. Everyone in this thread is slightly panicky about social life, everyone from all disciplines yesterday afternoon was slightly panicky about social life. In itself, that pretty much guarantees that the social life will be good as it's clearly important to a great deal of this year's undergrand intake!

I also worried that too many students were going to be in the 'ruthlessly driven IB hopeful' mould - not there for friends, not there to exchange ideas or be politically involved; just there to take the degree and move up to the City. I needn't have worried about that either, so many students (current and potential) seemed massively passionate and enthusiastic and I'm so excited about spending 3 years of my life in an environment like that.

Here's hoping I don't come out in 2017 as a cynical ****er!

Totally agree with you, I have been worrying that everyone going to LSE merely wants to go into IB - as depicted in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmHfMKHuY8

But, as you say - everyone I met at the Visit Day seemed very enthusiastic about the topic - which is exciting!
Oups sorry found my answer!
Please delete this post :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5973
Anyone here retook a year in AS and managed to get a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shido
Anyone here retook a year in AS and managed to get a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I retook AS - waited 4 months to be rejected. I also had severe mitigating circumstances to explain why I resat. Although, I hold an offer for UCL to do History so it's all good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5975
Original post by gracelich
I retook AS - waited 4 months to be rejected. I also had severe mitigating circumstances to explain why I resat. Although, I hold an offer for UCL to do History so it's all good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, jheeze. At least UCL is good though, I'd say same level as LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I retook nearly all my AS's as I f* up and I still managed to get conditional for LSE and nottingham and unconditional from UCL
Reply 5977
Original post by caroline03
I retook nearly all my AS's as I f* up and I still managed to get conditional for LSE and nottingham and unconditional from UCL

But did you retake the whole year? Retaking AS modules should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I carried on with A2 and retook 6 modules.
Reply 5979
Original post by caroline03
I carried on with A2 and retook 6 modules.

Yea, that's different in comparison to a retaken year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending