The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

reckon we'll catch up with wrestlemania b4 the end of the year.
Original post by FKLW
Yeah pretty much. Our team has been **** for the last few years anyway.

Inb4 produced Januzaj.

He came to Utd at 16. You dont poach players like Januzaj(or Fabregas, Pique etc) at 16 and have them in the first team in 2 years without them being good enough when they arrived thanks to someone else's work.

But Zlatan made a great point in his book when he consider's Swedish youth team coaches trying to give themselves credit for his career. He just says he had the natural talent and mentality to make it where-ever he went and most of the technique he learned was on his own after training. He does give credit for coaches having believed in him and helping him mentally though, so often it's about trust and patience. He arrived at Juventus at 24 I think and says that Capello made him into a goalscorer, and credits him with being world class. You could say the same for Van Persie who was a very rough diamond at 21 and probably owes Wenger for where he got to both as a player and as a person.

So I'm wrong to make it so black/white with ''player arrives at 16/17/18 then you didnt do **** for his career'' because you can arrive at 21 and be improved massively and that deserves credit too. Obviously when a club scouts a player playing school football, like QPR did with Stirling for instance, then they've made a huge difference just by recognising talent and then putting the work in at youth level after.

Alot of the time it's just being patient though, if you know youve got a talent then you just have to sacrifice in the short term so he gets there but Chelsea dont do that ever really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 182
Happy birthday to Schezney and Fabianski!

Spoiler

Reply 183
Original post by Zürich
He came to Utd at 16. You dont poach players like Januzaj(or Fabregas, Pique etc) at 16 and have them in the first team in 2 years without them being good enough when they arrived thanks to someone else's work.

That's the point I was making? As in 'inb4' someone saying we produced Januzaj even though we didn't.

We did make Pogba and Ravel though, two players with bright futures.
I'm seeing several reports for the last couple of pages of the previous thread - usually when I see enough reports and a thread needs cleaning up, I'll close it whilst I do so. However, as it was from the end of that thread which has since been locked, I will close this thread temporarily - only for as long as it takes me to read through and clean up. It won't be long.

To clear up some speculation from that discussion too -

Obviously, you're very aware that you don't have a current football forum mod. This isn't a conspiracy or grand plan to get rid of people or to turn this forum into something where we let it rot and burn. I am not the section leader for the Hobbies & Interests area any more, but I still take a keen interest in this part of the site. I can speak for those who do run it and say that finding suitable candidates for the forum is tricky and it's taking longer than expected to find a replacement for Abiraleft.

Some of you are airing concerns to your fellow users that the threads aren't staying on some form of topic, or that the quality of discussion is poor. I'd suggest to some of you to take heed of those concerns. It doesn't make for a good community/encourage new users to join in where there is clear in-fighting/bitching. Nobody wants the forum to fester - it may take a little while longer than usual to get to them, but please do report stuff you feel breaks the rules. It will help in the long run.

I just wanted to clear that up and I don't intend this as a punishment. I'm hoping that by putting a slightly more active presence in the forum, it reassures those of you who care about the future of it.
Original post by Champagne Supernova
I'm seeing several reports for the last couple of pages of the previous thread - usually when I see enough reports and a thread needs cleaning up, I'll close it whilst I do so. However, as it was from the end of that thread which has since been locked, I will close this thread temporarily - only for as long as it takes me to read through and clean up. It won't be long.

To clear up some speculation from that discussion too -

Obviously, you're very aware that you don't have a current football forum mod. This isn't a conspiracy or grand plan to get rid of people or to turn this forum into something where we let it rot and burn. I am not the section leader for the Hobbies & Interests area any more, but I still take a keen interest in this part of the site. I can speak for those who do run it and say that finding suitable candidates for the forum is tricky and it's taking longer than expected to find a replacement for Abiraleft.

Some of you are airing concerns to your fellow users that the threads aren't staying on some form of topic, or that the quality of discussion is poor. I'd suggest to some of you to take heed of those concerns. It doesn't make for a good community/encourage new users to join in where there is clear in-fighting/bitching. Nobody wants the forum to fester - it may take a little while longer than usual to get to them, but please do report stuff you feel breaks the rules. It will help in the long run.

I just wanted to clear that up and I don't intend this as a punishment. I'm hoping that by putting a slightly more active presence in the forum, it reassures those of you who care about the future of it.

+1

It's proving very difficult to find suitable candidates to run Football because so many people are engaging in needless rule breaking behaviour. Please, if you see that someone is breaking the rules, report it and don't reply to it.

Also, if you'd like to be considered as a mod in Football, please apply now in the Moderator Nominations forum.
Opened again. Enjoy :yy:
Reply 187
Opened again. Enjoy :yy:

Mate I nominate FKLW as mod, give him a look up?
I nominate Kim Jong Illest for mod if I'm being honest.

Qua would be the obvious option but I don't think she'd want to do it for some weird reason.

Anyway. Is anybody actually scared of Arsenal dropping out of the top 4 this season, or is it business as usual?
Reply 189
Original post by matchdayG
Mate I nominate FKLW as mod, give him a look up?

I second this :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
yaboy has outdone himself yet again
Reply 191
Original post by yaboyLolLezzers
I think I should get it

Please stay away from this section, i think most of us would prefer you nowhere near it mate.

Someone else can mod it

What up yaboy how you doing?

Anyway, team predictions for Hull match? A lot of Arsenal fans on other forums and just generally want to see 2 up top, with Podolski and Giroud? Thoughts on this guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277

Qua would be the obvious option but I don't think she'd want to do it for some weird reason.

Anyway. Is anybody actually scared of Arsenal dropping out of the top 4 this season, or is it business as usual?

I wouldn't say I'm supremely confident, we definitely have the capacity to **** it up.

But I think it'll be business as usual tbh, given Everton's final fixtures.
It's quite hard thinking of someone in here who would do a proper job tbh. You'd want a good, active poster who is impartial, not overly biased towards their own team and who knows the difference between wumming and trolling.

Could we get a sticky/announcement or something in here saying there is a spot open? A lot of the ''regulars'' in here don't actively read this thread, either because they aren't Arsenal fans or they steer clear due to the issues you raised in the rest of your post.
Yaboy. :rofl:

Original post by e aí rapaz
I wouldn't say I'm supremely confident, we definitely have the capacity to **** it up.

But I think it'll be business as usual tbh, given Everton's final fixtures.

I hope United do a job on Everton tbh. For the sake of next season, I'd like United to come 5th and get into the Europa league. If United win on Saturday then that will almost confirm their status as Europa league battlers.

They need the extra games. I have a feeling if United get past the hurdle sooner rather than later we could end up with a dangerous United. Although United seem like they're going to need the best team in the league before Moyes wins it. Fergie didn't have to do that. So any year Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea/City strengthen majorly is a year that United don't win under Moyes tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 195
Original post by sr90
It's quite hard thinking of someone in here who would do a proper job tbh. You'd want a good, active poster who is impartial, not overly biased towards their own team and who knows the difference between wumming and trolling.

You pretty much just described Luke Mckeown. I'd certainly back his nomination.
Yeah go ahead and make a thread about it, I would love to be moderated by some nonce like Luke Mckeown or Hbk

basically this subforum is ****ed, no one can suitably replace Abiraleft, hence why its taking so long to find a new moderator because most of the people on this subforum are plebs. Abiraleft ****ed things up nicely.

if luke mckeown gets moderator, its like sir alex leaving man utd and giving the job to david moyes. not going to work and this forum will go down hill continuously until there's only groovey and jam left.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by Mad Vlad
+1

It's proving very difficult to find suitable candidates to run Football because so many people are engaging in needless rule breaking behaviour. Please, if you see that someone is breaking the rules, report it and don't reply to it.

Also, if you'd like to be considered as a mod in Football, please apply now in the Moderator Nominations forum.

Why is there only one football mod? Seems unbelievably active, doesn't that warrant at least 2 mods?
Original post by jam277

allow gassing me up lol, i think we should collectively, as a football forum, nominate yaboy.
Reply 199
Original post by little_tom
Yeah go ahead and make a thread about it, I would love to be moderated by some nonce like Luke Mckeown or Hbk

basically this subforum is ****ed, no one can suitably replace Abiraleft, hence why its taking so long to find a new moderator because most of the people on this subforum are plebs. Abiraleft ****ed things up nicely.

if luke mckeown gets moderator, its like sir alex leaving man utd and giving the job to david moyes. not going to work and this forum will go down hill continuously until there's only groovey and jam left.

I know that the second they make little_tom a mod, he'll ban me for life.

But I will take the hit for the good of the forum.

little_tom for mod.

Latest