The Student Room Group

studying foreign languages at university (science background

I currently study chemistry, maths, biology and French at 6th form but I am interested in taking French to a degree level (alongside Spanish ab initio). I know I don't do the typical A-levels associated with this course (history, English e.t.c.), so I don't know if I'll be disadvantaged in any way? I have a definite aptitude for languages, and I enjoy the area of study a lot. Additionally, I take an interest in literature (classical English and French) outside of school, and I have a passion for culture and history. Does anyone know of any particularly good courses/unis or has anyone studied languages with a science background at A-level?

Merci à l'avance!
I don't think you'll be disadvantaged at all, you have the A level in French which is what matters, so as long as you show your interest for languages in your personal statement you'll be fine :smile: I'm doing A levels in French German and Chemistry (and I did Maths for AS) and I don't think I was at a disadvantage not doing other humanities subjects, I managed to get all my offers anyway :P hope this helps a bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A friend of mine got in to do a French degree after doing A2 Maths, Physics and French and AS Chemistry, so it shouldn't put you at a disadvantage! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Five offers for German and Italian after taking German, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry at A Level.
Reply 4
Original post by Goerginab123
I don't think you'll be disadvantaged at all, you have the A level in French which is what matters, so as long as you show your interest for languages in your personal statement you'll be fine :smile: I'm doing A levels in French German and Chemistry (and I did Maths for AS) and I don't think I was at a disadvantage not doing other humanities subjects, I managed to get all my offers anyway :P hope this helps a bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the confidence boost! Out of interest, which French books/literature did you read? Any reccomendations? I'm reading l'etranger and Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban at the moment. Well done on your offers!:biggrin: Where are you studying now/ where are you going to study? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by LRT12
Five offers for German and Italian after taking German, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry at A Level.

Cheers for the info, I feel I've got a better chance than I thought!:smile: where are you going to study?:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mysterytour
Cheers for the info, I feel I've got a better chance than I thought!:smile: where are you going to study?:smile:

Offers from Warwick, Durham, London, Bath and Bristol. Still choosing at the moment.
Reply 7
Original post by LRT12
Offers from Warwick, Durham, London, Bath and Bristol. Still choosing at the moment.

Awesome!:biggrin: Looks like you've got a great choice of universities there! Good luck with your final exams and choosing!
Original post by mysterytour
Thanks for the confidence boost! Out of interest, which French books/literature did you read? Any reccomendations? I'm reading l'etranger and Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban at the moment. Well done on your offers!:biggrin: Where are you studying now/ where are you going to study? :smile:

Aha no worries :smile: I'm afraid I can't help you with the French reading really, I applied for German and Russian instead of French, so I'm not too knowledgable on French literature :tongue: but what you're doing atm sounds good, I read harry potter in German as well :biggrin: aha thanks, well I got my offers from Birmingham, Exeter, Sheffield, Durham and Nottingham, and I firmed Sheffield a couple of weeks ago :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Goerginab123
Aha no worries :smile: I'm afraid I can't help you with the French reading really, I applied for German and Russian instead of French, so I'm not too knowledgable on French literature :tongue: but what you're doing atm sounds good, I read harry potter in German as well :biggrin: aha thanks, well I got my offers from Birmingham, Exeter, Sheffield, Durham and Nottingham, and I firmed Sheffield a couple of weeks ago :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, ok! Are you studying Russian from scratch or do you already know some? I think the Harry Potter books seem to translate well, but there are still some funny translations! 'Baguette' means wand in the French ones :tongue: good luck at Sheffield!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending