The Student Room Group

Caroline Lucas found not guilty at fracking protests - CPS and government failed

Scroll to see replies

This link doesn't provide evidence that renewable energy is necessarily to blame for the higher level of pollution. The article says that the increased CO2 emmissions have come from an increased use of coal; coal has become cheaper, and is thus making the nuclear/gas alternative less economically viable.

It is true that Germany has seen a rise in their emmission of CO2, although the article still says the following: ''Germany has reduced its greenhouse gas output 25.5 percent since 1990, exceeding its commitments under the Kyoto Protocol''. That sounds pretty amazing regardless of what appear to be short term increases, don't you think?

Thank you, but the page won't let me read the article! :tongue:
Original post by SHallowvale
This link doesn't provide evidence that renewable energy is necessarily to blame for the higher level of pollution. The article says that the increased CO2 emmissions have come from an increased use of coal; coal has become cheaper, and is thus making the nuclear/gas alternative less economically viable.

It is true that Germany has seen a rise in their emmission of CO2, although the article still says the following: ''Germany has reduced its greenhouse gas output 25.5 percent since 1990, exceeding its commitments under the Kyoto Protocol''. That sounds pretty amazing regardless of what appear to be short term increases, don't you think?

http://www.dw.de/us-investors-worry-about-german-energy-policy/a-17507945

http://www.policy-network.net/pno_detail.aspx?ID=4612&title=Energy-policy-in-Germany-Big-problems-in-Europes-powerhouse

Basically, Germany tried to switch to all renewables. It's put prices through the roof and is negatively impacting their economy
Original post by MatureStudent36
http://www.dw.de/us-investors-worry-about-german-energy-policy/a-17507945

http://www.policy-network.net/pno_detail.aspx?ID=4612&title=Energy-policy-in-Germany-Big-problems-in-Europes-powerhouse

Basically, Germany tried to switch to all renewables. It's put prices through the roof and is negatively impacting their economy

Two very interesting reads, thank you for sharing.
Two very interesting reads, thank you for sharing.

Renewables have their place, but sadly they're unreliable and expensive.

It was in the news a few months ago that the EU is moving away from its renewables targets as they're realising that they are unachievable and impacting on the economy.

The Ukraine issue is now impacting europes imports if Russian gas .

That's likely to result in an increase push in nuclear and Fracked gas

Well I'd say it splits down to the increase in coal being due to the closure of nuclear plants while the increased prices are due to green tariffs to fund renewables that aren't independently viable.

Oh, and I used my elite hacking skills to get the text of the other article if you want to read it:

Spoiler

Original post by L i b
Well, the CPS did. The Government didn't have any input on it. This isn't North Korea.

If you think the police are genuinely independent of the government in this country (or the prosecution authorities) then think again. The police in the UK are very responsive to the Home Office and Chief Constables often seem to see themselves as representatives of big business and the government, as does the government. The CPS show time and again that they are influenced by government views.
Renewables have their place, but sadly they're unreliable and expensive.

In the long term, we have no option but to switch to renewables, because of climate change and fossil fuels running out. And renewable energy sources are becoming more efficient and competitive.

For example, a new design of solar panel is currently being tested out in the USA which could be much more efficient than existing designs.
Original post by RFowler
In the long term, we have no option but to switch to renewables, because of climate change and fossil fuels running out. And renewable energy sources are becoming more efficient and competitive.

For example, a new design of solar panel is currently being tested out in the USA which could be much more efficient than existing designs.

I'll believe all that when I see it.

I'm undecided on climate change as so far every prediction I've heard hasn't come true, and although fossil fuels will eventually run out I doubt that will be in either my lifetime or the life time of several generations after I'm gone.

I'm a huge believer in nuclear. Reliable and zero emissions.

Either way, were a long way off renewables being a 100% solution. I'd rather move towards the right direction than try and get to the end destination in one painful step.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If you think the police are genuinely independent of the government in this country (or the prosecution authorities) then think again. The police in the UK are very responsive to the Home Office and Chief Constables often seem to see themselves as representatives of big business and the government, as does the government. The CPS show time and again that they are influenced by government views.

I'm thinking again about it and is have to agree with Libs on that one. The police are Independant.

If you really think that somebody in white hall used the police to silence Caroline Lucas may I suggest you spend this Easter weekend fashioning a tin foil hat from tin foil.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
This is excellent. Caudrilla, which is being used by Big Gas and Oil to test the water for fracking in the UK

This isn't accurate. What's stopping widespread shale gas production in the UK at the moment is the market, which doesn't want expensive fracked gas when it can have cheaper conventional gas. Several leaders of Big Oil have already said that they have no interest in the UK shale gas.
I'm thinking again about it and is have to agree with Libs on that one. The police are Independant.

That's just a naive view.

The police may (sometimes) appear to be independent in this country, but they aren't - Chief Constables used to be appointed with Home Office approval and effectively 'reported in' to the Home Office. This has theoretically changed with the move to Police Commissioners and the position of Mayors in some cities, but there are still many routes by which governmental pressure can be exerted on the police, not least financial. ACPO also controls many policing issues and that often appears to be close to the Home Office.

The supposed political independence of the police can be seen for the farce it is in the context of subversive undercover police officers in the recently exposed cases, who did things like instigate riots and even wrote the famous London Greenpeace leaflet against McDonalds! For all we know they then went on to help McDonalds in their libel action. The police serve corporate and governmental interests primarily.

The CPS are directly part of government and there is no true independence of prosecution in the UK, only the persistent pretense that there is. A classic example of how this works in practice is the now emerging Cyril Smith case. Private Eye has reported today that 144 separate sex abuse complaints were made to the police about the Liberal MP when he was in office. The prosecution authorities constantly rejected police efforts to prosecute him. This was at a time when Liberal votes were crucial to keep the government in office.

Quick Reply

Latest