The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hooby
Good results for us :smile:

Just like Villa having to rely on others to keep out of trouble although to be fair you should just have enough to stay up.
Original post by Hooby
Reckon another 3-4 points and we'll be safe. We've had a lot of problems this year, considering most of our players are loanees/academy/freebies and we've had the equivalent of 4 different teams since the start of the season I think we've done okay. Will be better when we can get the owner situation sorted out, fingers crossed that happens in next few weeks.

Our home form is horrendous currently but it wasn't bad before Christmas, beat Swansea etc.. Our away form is 2nd best in the league so hoping we can take something from forest tomorrow. Against you I'm hoping for 3 points or a draw, was an interesting game in December between the two sides. I don't think 20 quid is too bad, they're still charging us premier league prices for our season tickets! Hey ho, we'll see what table looks like after tomorrow's fixtures :smile:

It's not easy to get any sort of run together with such an unsettled squad. We've been in a similar situation with loads of injuries, I mean at one point we had 21 players from the 1st and reserves on the treatment table. How is that even possible?!

After seeing us play averagely all season and still be close to the play offs says quite a lot and I think we'll have a good chance of getting a win on Monday (no matter what you might think! :wink: ) Are you a season ticket holder then? We only got charged £5 for 13-18s and £10 for adults for the game on Monday, I'd say that's very good! :smile:
Reply 982
Original post by Rock Fan
Just like Villa having to rely on others to keep out of trouble although to be fair you should just have enough to stay up.

Really really want Villa relegated! Why should someone buy you for god knows how many million - it's not fair! Plus with Wolves coming up, us *fingercrossed I think we will* staying in Champ and you and the Baggies with the possibility of relegation it could be a very interesting season next season! We need a good derby/scrappy game - if Millwall are going down I want another interesting away game to come. Cos I don't think much of Leeds away, but Villa away :biggrin:
Reply 983
Good win against a sub-par Ipswich side, 5 points off with a game in hand, with better goal difference than anyone from 5th downwards, why not believe? Even with QPR and Derby to play, it could still be done...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great win for Bradford, especially in front of fergie :biggrin:. We are finally safe
First win at Oakwell in 17 years, McCormack has been sublime this year. Wickham does nothing on loan, then goes back to Sunderland & scores 3 in 2 games against two of the best clubs in the world. There must be a curse of going on loan at Leeds, Andros Townsend did naff all when he was on loan last year.
Original post by bun
Did you make it to the game today?
What did you think?
Bit of a shame really, as I would have liked both of us to make the play offs as I have a bit of a soft spot for Oxford (not for that C word up front though...) but it looks like Sarfend have finally picked up, thus leaving only one spot free

Broken hearted, Feel absolutely conned out of a play off place but then we've lost four in the last five so maybe its deserved, just hard to take from a penalty really. But then there's three games left and I think we've got the character to claim the last place. Good luck anyway, anyone's game now! Did you travel down for it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 987
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Broken hearted, Feel absolutely conned out of a play off place but then we've lost four in the last five so maybe its deserved, just hard to take from a penalty really. But then there's three games left and I think we've got the character to claim the last place. Good luck anyway, anyone's game now! Did you travel down for it?

It does seem pretty ridiculous really! When we played at Bootham Crescent in December, you were pretty much top, we were practically bottom. Then just 3 and a bit months later...
Your form recently has been pretty horrific - any reason for it?
I couldn't make the match as I'm abroad at the moment, but had it on the radio. Sounded like neither team looked like scoring really - not from open play at least.
Can't say I wasn't delighted it was 'part player, part referee's assistant' Kitson who messed up and committed the handball for the Pen!

Certainly not over yet. Our top striker (our only really good one!) is out till next season, and our main creative mid/winger is also out till next November. Plus our 2 other top goalscorers seem to have lost all confidence, and so start on the bench now.
Can't see us scoring many, and that could be the difference between us and you getting the final spot
Original post by Silver Arrows
First win at Oakwell in 17 years, McCormack has been sublime this year. Wickham does nothing on loan, then goes back to Sunderland & scores 3 in 2 games against two of the best clubs in the world. There must be a curse of going on loan at Leeds, Andros Townsend did naff all when he was on loan last year.

That's gotta hurt. We were all set to sign Jordan Henderson from Sunderland a few years ago, then they changed the manager at the last minute...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hooby
Really really want Villa relegated! Why should someone buy you for god knows how many million - it's not fair! Plus with Wolves coming up, us *fingercrossed I think we will* staying in Champ and you and the Baggies with the possibility of relegation it could be a very interesting season next season! We need a good derby/scrappy game - if Millwall are going down I want another interesting away game to come. Cos I don't think much of Leeds away, but Villa away :biggrin:

Bah, humbug. We must make do with Walsall for our 'big' derby next season if we even stay in this division. It's not fair dammit :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bun
It does seem pretty ridiculous really! When we played at Bootham Crescent in December, you were pretty much top, we were practically bottom. Then just 3 and a bit months later...
Your form recently has been pretty horrific - any reason for it?
I couldn't make the match as I'm abroad at the moment, but had it on the radio. Sounded like neither team looked like scoring really - not from open play at least.
Can't say I wasn't delighted it was 'part player, part referee's assistant' Kitson who messed up and committed the handball for the Pen!

Certainly not over yet. Our top striker (our only really good one!) is out till next season, and our main creative mid/winger is also out till next November. Plus our 2 other top goalscorers seem to have lost all confidence, and so start on the bench now.
Can't see us scoring many, and that could be the difference between us and you getting the final spot

On the balance of the game, I think a draw would have been fair. The banter between fans was hilarious, we were chanting '3-1, 3-1, 3-1', your fans had 'we've been to Wembley twice' going. I didn't even see the penalty given as I was tucking into my half-time pie. Good travelling support though I'll give you that. Shame we can't have a repeat of the conference play-off this year. Do you think York are strong enough to win the play-offs?

I think League 2 in general is crazy, how we've stayed in the play-offs all season with terrible form, every other result seems to go for us. Even Rochdale in third have lost eleven this season! I'm hoping we can nick the points at Scunthorpe, Bury is a big one for you guys, they're doing well at the minute and want to make a last ditch challenge. Haha, Kitson is an absolute legend, he's supposed to be one of our strikers but he just drops to midfield and plays as a playmaking midfielder, left Constable really isolated.

Who is your top striker? I didn't recognise many of your players from the conference days, I think we bought half of your squad when we came up!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 991
On the balance of the game, I think a draw would have been fair. The banter between fans was hilarious, we were chanting '3-1, 3-1, 3-1', your fans had 'we've been to Wembley twice' going. I didn't even see the penalty given as I was tucking into my half-time pie. Good travelling support though I'll give you that. Shame we can't have a repeat of the conference play-off this year. Do you think York are strong enough to win the play-offs?

I think League 2 in general is crazy, how we've stayed in the play-offs all season with terrible form, every other result seems to go for us. Even Rochdale in third have lost eleven this season! I'm hoping we can nick the points at Scunthorpe, Bury is a big one for you guys, they're doing well at the minute and want to make a last ditch challenge. Haha, Kitson is an absolute legend, he's supposed to be one of our strikers but he just drops to midfield and plays as a playmaking midfielder, left Constable really isolated.

Who is your top striker? I didn't recognise many of your players from the conference days, I think we bought half of your squad when we came up!

Yeah, I think a draw would have been fair.
Haha - great stuff! You've got some class support too! Though it was 'we won at wembley twice' I think - cos we've played at the new wembley 4 times in total. But won there twice in 7 days 2 years ago.
Yeah - would have been good to meet you in the final! I suppose not entirely impossible - Southend have a tricky last few fixtures.
I think we might have been good enough without the injuries. But now I think we lack the cutting edge to win in the play offs. Though with the defence we've got - anything is possible.

Yeah!! Been a really weird season! Bury are our big rivals as well, so it promises to be one hell of a match on Monday! They have to win to keep up play off hopes too.
Haha he's a quality player, but sounded like he was always in the refs ear.

Haha, yeah! I don't think we have any of the same players who faced you who start now. Ingham is our reserve keeper now. Wes Fletcher is our quality striker - one of the best I've ever seen at York (for us or opposition)
Original post by bun
Yeah, I think a draw would have been fair.
Haha - great stuff! You've got some class support too! Though it was 'we won at wembley twice' I think - cos we've played at the new wembley 4 times in total. But won there twice in 7 days 2 years ago.
Yeah - would have been good to meet you in the final! I suppose not entirely impossible - Southend have a tricky last few fixtures.
I think we might have been good enough without the injuries. But now I think we lack the cutting edge to win in the play offs. Though with the defence we've got - anything is possible.

Oh yeah that makes more sense! True, that would also require both of our teams to win their last three games, not impossible but can't imagine Southend giving up their place now. Yeah I admired your defence, Constable basically got owned for the full 90 minutes.

Yeah!! Been a really weird season! Bury are our big rivals as well, so it promises to be one hell of a match on Monday! They have to win to keep up play off hopes too.
Haha he's a quality player, but sounded like he was always in the refs ear.

Oh really? Crikey that'll be a good one then. He is, but to be fair he's retiring end of this season and he wants to end on a high but he does simulate a bit.

Haha, yeah! I don't think we have any of the same players who faced you who start now. Ingham is our reserve keeper now. Wes Fletcher is our quality striker - one of the best I've ever seen at York (for us or opposition)

Yeah we sold most of them on, we have Nicky Wroe in midfield though who didn't get a great reception from your fans. In contrast, Oxford started a lot of the team that played against you in the final, we even brought Alfie Potter on in the last twenty minutes in a hope of a repeat goal. Oh right, how long is he out injured for?

I'm a bit nervous for Oxford, if we do some how win he next two games and your results mean that it comes down to the last game, its against Northampton away, who have Chris Wilder at the helm and are fighting to stay up. Interesting to see how our fans respond to him but i'm sure he'll keep them up.
Reply 993
Oh yeah that makes more sense! True, that would also require both of our teams to win their last three games, not impossible but can't imagine Southend giving up their place now. Yeah I admired your defence, Constable basically got owned for the full 90 minutes.

Oh really? Crikey that'll be a good one then. He is, but to be fair he's retiring end of this season and he wants to end on a high but he does simulate a bit.

Yeah we sold most of them on, we have Nicky Wroe in midfield though who didn't get a great reception from your fans. In contrast, Oxford started a lot of the team that played against you in the final, we even brought Alfie Potter on in the last twenty minutes in a hope of a repeat goal. Oh right, how long is he out injured for?

I'm a bit nervous for Oxford, if we do some how win he next two games and your results mean that it comes down to the last game, its against Northampton away, who have Chris Wilder at the helm and are fighting to stay up. Interesting to see how our fans respond to him but i'm sure he'll keep them up.

Yeah - I reckon southend have just about done enough now - but the way this season's gone, anything could happen!
Aye - only 2 goals conceded in 14 games now. And one of then was a 90th minute wind assisted fluke from accrington!

Ah ok - have you got anyone lined up to replace him?

I don't know what happened with Wroe - were usually pretty good with former players, unless they do/say something. I presume it was a case of more money or something that our fans weren't happy with his loyalty or something.
That's good that you've kept the squad together pretty much. We have 18 new players just compared to last season!

He had his op on Wednesday - likely out for a couple of months I think.

It's squeaky bum time whatever!! We have Scunthorpe on the last day, so can easily see us losing that. The Northampton match should be a real Lg 2 scrap if there's something to play for for both of you still!!
Blackburn already 3 up on Blues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bun
QFA

Our season's over. Good luck to you boys, hope you win it. Need to completely dissect this squad next season, I'd only keep our goalkeeper Ryan Clarke, who should be playing at Championship level. Everyone else can go and join Oxford City in Conference North.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 996
Our season's over. Good luck to you boys, hope you win it. Need to completely dissect this squad next season, I'd only keep our goalkeeper Ryan Clarke, who should be playing at Championship level. Everyone else can go and join Oxford City in Conference North.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not over yet!!
I have supported York for far too long to know that!!!
Can't see us getting anything from Scunthorpe on the final day.
Probably a draw at best against Newport.

All depends how you do in the next 2 matches. For the first time, pressure will be off you, and on us.

Believe me, really not over yet. Though I do admit, looking from the outside in, it looks unlikely for you.

I hope you do manage to get your squad sorted out etc over the summer :smile:
Original post by bun
It's not over yet!!
I have supported York for far too long to know that!!!
Can't see us getting anything from Scunthorpe on the final day.
Probably a draw at best against Newport.

All depends how you do in the next 2 matches. For the first time, pressure will be off you, and on us.

Believe me, really not over yet. Though I do admit, looking from the outside in, it looks unlikely for you.

I hope you do manage to get your squad sorted out etc over the summer :smile:

Ah but it is. Even if we pulled off a miracle, we don't have the quality to win the play-offs. It was a very even game against Scunthorpe that deserved a draw but it happens. If you manage at least a draw in your next game then you're pretty much in the play-offs. Did you listen to York Bury commentary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Blackburn already 3 up on Blues.

Their only consolation is that Yeovil and Barnsley are gone and Blackpool are just as **** as they are.
Staines town anyone?

If not for Tonbridge and Dover results we could have had a real shot at play offs :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest