The Student Room Group

Any Ukip Supporters

Are there any Ukip supporters on TSR? What are your views or predictions about what will happen on May 22?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vabracadabra
Are there any Ukip supporters on TSR? What are your views or predictions about what will happen on May 22?

I don't support UKIP but they are expected to come second in the European Elections, last time I checked:

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/01/16/european-elections-ukip-closes-first-place/

That being said I don't know how many seats they'll get. I'm not convinced that the percentage of votes you recieve is proportional to the number of seats you get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2009_%28United_Kingdom%29

The Conservatives, UKIP and Labour should have had around 5, 1 and 1 less seat(s) respectively, while the Liberal Democrats, Greens and the BNP should have recieved around 10, 5 and 4 more seats respectively.

(Using the formula, ''Number of Seats: (Percentage of Votes/100) x 72'')
I am not a full on UKIP supporter (they are a bit too left for me) however they will get my vote non the less. The user above has it spot on.
I guess I am a default UKIP supporter because I hate the conservative party enough to not vote for them (but still consider myself right wing) :lol: so I'll actually be voting for them this year and next year (assuming I don't change my mind). they'll come either first or second in the EU elections (my hunch would be first to be fair but I may well be proven wrong) and in terms of the general election I don't mind if they win any seats - voting UKIP for me will have a sub-function of spitting in the face of the conservatives over europe, and I actually live in a swing seat constituency too so maybe I'm crazy to consider voting for them when literally less than 1% was the difference between my lib dem constituency MP and her running up tory candidate - but oh well, lib dems are worthless (and liars without limits) and the conservatives are just insufferable opportunists :lol: maybe I'm being too angry, who knows
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SHallowvale
I don't support UKIP but they are expected to come second in the European Elections, last time I checked:

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/01/16/european-elections-ukip-closes-first-place/

That being said I don't know how many seats they'll get. I'm not convinced that the percentage of votes you recieve is proportional to the number of seats you get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2009_%28United_Kingdom%29

The Conservatives, UKIP and Labour should have had around 5, 1 and 1 less seat(s) respectively, while the Liberal Democrats, Greens and the BNP should have recieved around 10, 5 and 4 more seats respectively.

(Using the formula, ''Number of Seats: (Percentage of Votes/100) x 72'')

I personally think that they will come first. I am actually genuinely looking forward to this election just out of curiosity of if the anti-EU feelings truly show themselves or not
Reply 5
I support them in a lot of things but not all. I think they are lacking in leadership, Farage is a good spokesman and speaker but I think he would crumble under real pressure and there doesn't seem to be anyone in the party to step up and take over.
Reply 6
I think it will be very close between UKIP and Labour, remember millions of immigrants are allowed to vote and distort the outcome. Think both UKP and Labour will be near 30%
People who have the right to vote - and therefore vote can't be said to be 'distorting the outcome' of a fair and free election.
Reply 8
Original post by RayApparently
People who have the right to vote - and therefore vote can't be said to be 'distorting the outcome' of a fair and free election.

depends how you define fair, EU force the UK to let millions of EU immigrants vote for representatives meant to vote for and represent the UK that in my view distorts the vote and is a policy designed to dilute the British eurosceptic vote. If you have millions of Poles, Bulgarians, Romanians etc voting that will change the votes outcome in favour of the EU because they will not vote for eurosceptic parties. EU gerrymandering
Original post by Ace123
depends how you define fair, EU force the UK to let millions of EU immigrants vote for representatives meant to vote for and represent the UK

British MEPs are not meant to represent the UK. They're meant to represent their region, e.g. South East/Yorkshire/London/etc
Original post by anarchism101
British MEPs are not meant to represent the UK. They're meant to represent their region, e.g. South East/Yorkshire/London/etc

Yes, and the views and expectations of regional MEP's are being distorted by immigrants. They should not be allowed to vote.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Yes, and the views and expectations of regional MEP's are being distorted by immigrants. They should not be allowed to vote.

Why is this a bad thing?/Why should this mean that migrants don't get the right to vote?
Reply 12
Original post by SHallowvale
Why is this a bad thing?/Why should this mean that migrants don't get the right to vote?

It is a bad thing, MEP's elected in the UK are there to represent the interests of the UK and yes they are elected by region but are voting on laws that effect the entire UK. If million of immmigrants vote that firstly dilute the eurosceptic vote because they won't vote for UKIP or the Tories as much as Libdems or Labour which firstly effects the outcome of the overall vote. Secondly Bulgarians have just setup a Bulgarian party in the UK say other bigger groups such as the Poles do this and with 1 million voters a Polish MEP gets elected, will this Polish MEP be voting for the interests of the UK or Poland? For example Poland get billions from the EU whereas the UK has to pay billions in so how would he vote on budget issues that give Poland more money
I am no longer a UKIP supporter. I was some time ago, but Labour changed my views a few months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ace123
It is a bad thing, MEP's elected in the UK are there to represent the interests of the UK and yes they are elected by region but are voting on laws that effect the entire UK.

Wrong, MEPs are elected to represent the interests of those who voted for them in their (European Parliament) constituency. MEPs voting on EU-wide legislation is irrelavent; their job is still to represent their voters.

Original post by Ace123
If million of immmigrants vote that firstly dilute the eurosceptic vote because they won't vote for UKIP or the Tories as much as Libdems or Labour which firstly effects the outcome of the overall vote.

And? These immigrants are citizens of the UK too. If they end up having a different political opinion to you then, well, tough luck? That's how democracy works: don't expect yourself to have everyone agree with you, especially people new to the area. Suppressing their vote would be highly undemocratic (especially for someone such as yourself who seems to love democracy).

Also, are you not assuming that the ''interests of the UK'' = the interests of Euroskeptics?

Original post by Ace123
Secondly Bulgarians have just setup a Bulgarian party in the UK say other bigger groups such as the Poles do this and with 1 million voters a Polish MEP gets elected, will this Polish MEP be voting for the interests of the UK or Poland?

For example Poland get billions from the EU whereas the UK has to pay billions in so how would he vote on budget issues that give Poland more money

The text in bold: source? Does this party even have candidates for the election in May? How many people support it?

It doesn't take a minute to check that there are not even 1 million Poles in the UK, let alone 1 million Poles who can actually vote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_people_in_the_UK. Your example isn't valid given how there are no ''Polish Parties'' in the UK.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Yes, and the views and expectations of regional MEP's are being distorted by immigrants.

By that logic, the views of regional MEPs are also being 'distorted' by Scots who live in Yorkshire, Londoners who live in the North East, etc.
Original post by Ace123
It is a bad thing, MEP's elected in the UK are there to represent the interests of the UK and yes they are elected by region but are voting on laws that effect the entire UK.

And the entire EU.
Reply 17
Original post by Ace123
depends how you define fair, EU force the UK to let millions of EU immigrants vote for representatives meant to vote for and represent the UK that in my view distorts the vote and is a policy designed to dilute the British eurosceptic vote. If you have millions of Poles, Bulgarians, Romanians etc voting that will change the votes outcome in favour of the EU because they will not vote for eurosceptic parties. EU gerrymandering

LOL at 'designed'
Original post by Ace123
It is a bad thing, MEP's elected in the UK are there to represent the interests of the UK and yes they are elected by region but are voting on laws that effect the entire UK. If million of immmigrants vote that firstly dilute the eurosceptic vote because they won't vote for UKIP or the Tories as much as Libdems or Labour which firstly effects the outcome of the overall vote. Secondly Bulgarians have just setup a Bulgarian party in the UK say other bigger groups such as the Poles do this and with 1 million voters a Polish MEP gets elected, will this Polish MEP be voting for the interests of the UK or Poland? For example Poland get billions from the EU whereas the UK has to pay billions in so how would he vote on budget issues that give Poland more money

Whether you like it or not immigrants are part of the UK, so allowing them to vote makes it more representative of what the UK wants not less.
Original post by anarchism101
By that logic, the views of regional MEPs are also being 'distorted' by Scots who live in Yorkshire, Londoners who live in the North East, etc.

Well they are still British and are more likely to have the long-term interest of the country in their interest, rather than short term gains. It really is quite simple.

A native is going to be more concerned for the long-term future of the country than an immigrant that will care more for their native country. Not particularly rocket science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending