The Student Room Group

CGP books

Hi,
I'm just curious as to why people on this forum tend to underestimate CGP books? I use them for every subject... Does this hinder my grade potential?
Do they include all the vital information needed for the top grades?

Kind regards.
Ben

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hi,
I'm just curious as to why people on this forum tend to underestimate CGP books? I use them for every subject... Does this hinder my grade potential?

Kind regards.
Ben

CGP books are hated for many reasons.
* They can lack information
* They can include unnecessary information
* They are expensive
* They look ugly
* They have jokes which aren't needed
* The graphs and pictures are coloured in a weird way.

And the list goes on and on and on.
I think they're pretty decent. Not the best for A Level science but for A Level Math they are good.

For GCSE science I thought they were pretty good. The official books apart from perhaps the A Level math books - aren't that good at all and them themselves are a waste of money.
I like them, especially for GCSE.

I also like the A Level Physics ones.

If you have them all, could you share the jokes at the back of the book? The ones near the barcode? I like those. :colondollar:
I loved my CGP books for Science, so Chem, Physics and Biology, they were my lifesavers I would have bombed Physics without it :laugh: I also had the CGP English poetry guide which was amazing. However for Geography/History I found them really brief so I had to use other books and websites in conjunction with my CGP. My teacher told us that CGP revision guides in general are for people aiming for a C but I'm not sure how true that is :smile:
I like cgp books. They are concise and include pretty much all the information needed (in my experience anyways). As for the jokes...well...at least they put the effort in trying to make it somewhat humorous, gotta appreciate that :smile:
Original post by MidnightDream
I loved my CGP books for Science, so Chem, Physics and Biology, they were my lifesavers I would have bombed Physics without it :laugh: I also had the CGP English poetry guide which was amazing. However for Geography/History I found them really brief so I had to use other books and websites in conjunction with my CGP. My teacher told us that CGP revision guides in general are for people aiming for a C but I'm not sure how true that is :smile:

Really? I found for Geography one they were better than the textbook...
Reply 7
I think the CGP books are quite useful in terms of condensing information to make it easier for students to understands. Although I don't completely rely on them and use them alongside my own notes and textbooks as it would never be enough for me to get an A in chem or or bio on my own!
Reply 8
I think they're perfect, I used them for all of the Sciences and History at GCSE and got 3A*A. I feel they contain only the information you need to know and nothing more so waste information! They're especially helpful to give you a clear image of what you need to know because of the way they're organised.

Currently using them at A levels they are still good but would recommend cross referencing with the larger Text books!
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Really? I found for Geography one they were better than the textbook...

AQA? The case studies in the CGP were good it was the actual content, for me anyway :smile:
Reply 10
The CGP jokes must be written by The_Dragonborn
I used for them for my GCSEs, they were so, so helpful. I didn't use any class notes- just the revision guide. So I don't think it lacks information, for GCSE anyway, it does for A level.

Actually pretty much the whole year used them haha, they sold them in school
Reply 12
I use GCP books for all my sciences and they have come in good handy!
for gcse theyre pretty good, dont really recommend them as much for a level tho
AQA? The case studies in the CGP were good it was the actual content, for me anyway :smile:

OCR B, I find it covers the content in a more concise manner in contrast to the textbook.
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
OCR B, I find it covers the content in a more concise manner in contrast to the textbook.

Aaah I got the AQA CGP and I found the textbook better but the CGP was okay :smile:
Aaah I got the AQA CGP and I found the textbook better but the CGP was okay :smile:

Oh cool
Hi,

Kind regards.
Ben

CGP books help dont listen to the people who say they dont as they clearly dont see the good side of them. I have them and use them for revision every now and then so should you. Just remember cgp books are not the only revision books in the world so you might get some other ones as they can break stuff down easily.:smile:
Hi,

Kind regards.
Ben

Remember everyone has thier own different ways of revision so CGP books may not be helpful to some people.:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by AlphaNick
They are good if you don't want to understand things and if you just want to memorise facts.

But if you want to understand things, rather then to cram lots of details into your head - don't use them.

well put.

Quick Reply

Latest