The Student Room Group

Chemistry AS Edexcel Unit 1 Fri 23/05/2014

Hey there guys! I thought I should make a SPECIFIC thread on AS Edexcel for Chemistry Unit 1, since I couldn't find a decent one to comment in (the others are quite vague). Here, all those doing specifically Edexcel Chem 1 can comment on here and ask questions so it doesn't get too confusing. :tongue:

So . . . how's it going? I find it terribly hard, trying to memorise the whole of Chemistry. Barely finished unit 1. :redface: And I still feel like I've forgotten everything. Anyone else feeling the same way? And for those who feel confident, how do you manage it? :confused:

I can feel the pressure now . . .

Hey guys, discuss unit 2 here! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2691754
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
No one does Edexcel Chem???????? This is shocking!
Original post by theJdog
Hey there guys! I thought I should make a SPECIFIC thread on AS Edexcel for Chemistry Unit 1, since I couldn't find a decent one to comment in (the others are quite vague). Here, all those doing specifically Edexcel Chem 1 can comment on here and ask questions so it doesn't get too confusing. :tongue:

So . . . how's it going? I find it terribly hard, trying to memorise the whole of Chemistry. Barely finished unit 1. :redface: And I still feel like I've forgotten everything. Anyone else feeling the same way? And for those who feel confident, how do you manage it? :confused:

I can feel the pressure now . . .

I do, but I'm at A2 level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Do some past papers and see where you stand.
Reply 5
Original post by Girling1996
I do, but I'm at A2 level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG! You made it past AS?! Congrats man! What did you get if you don't mind me asking? And what subjects did you do? Wow, A2 must be hard. How's it going?
Reply 6
Original post by bluemax
Do some past papers and see where you stand.

Hm, I haven't done much yet, just 2 or 3! I must do some more, me thinks. But I need to fully revise the content first to do the tests. Did you do chem too? Thanks for the advice though!
Original post by theJdog
OMG! You made it past AS?! Congrats man! What did you get if you don't mind me asking? And what subjects did you do? Wow, A2 must be hard. How's it going?

No, its fine. I got a C, was 3 UMS of B, so about 1 mark off a B. Resiting unit 2 as got a C, and got a B in unit 1.
I do maths, ICT, did french last year-completed to A2 as started AS in year 11 and doing EPQ.

Unit 5 is really hard i think. Bit worried I won't get a B overall though.
Reply 8
Original post by theJdog
Hm, I haven't done much yet, just 2 or 3! I must do some more, me thinks. But I need to fully revise the content first to do the tests. Did you do chem too? Thanks for the advice though!

Duh I did! I had a 87/90 in Unit 1. But I gave it in 2008 and the specifications changed after that. And yeah it's a good idea to know your content thoroughly before you move on to the past papers.

By the way, April is ending. You should be done with your revision and doing only past papers now.
Reply 9
No, its fine. I got a C, was 3 UMS of B, so about 1 mark off a B. Resiting unit 2 as got a C, and got a B in unit 1.
I do maths, ICT, did french last year-completed to A2 as started AS in year 11 and doing EPQ.

Unit 5 is really hard i think. Bit worried I won't get a B overall though.
WOW! That is so close! And well done :biggrin: Those grades are actually awesome :smile: Chemistry is the hardest A-Level I believe, so hats off to you, my friend :adore: It's quite hard to answer questions in the exam, because they are so . . . wordy. Even if you know the content, it's not enough, because you need to apply this knowledge.
Reply 10
Original post by bluemax
Duh I did! I had a 87/90 in Unit 1. But I gave it in 2008 and the specifications changed after that. And yeah it's a good idea to know your content thoroughly before you move on to the past papers.

By the way, April is ending. You should be done with your revision and doing only past papers now.

Ok, thanks for this, have started into unit 2, done unit 1 past papers now! And may I say a hearty WELL DONE, amazing grades :biggrin:!! At this rate, I'm scared I'll fail :frown:
Original post by theJdog
WOW! That is so close! And well done :biggrin: Those grades are actually awesome :smile: Chemistry is the hardest A-Level I believe, so hats off to you, my friend :adore: It's quite hard to answer questions in the exam, because they are so . . . wordy. Even if you know the content, it's not enough, because you need to apply this knowledge.

I thought maths and physics were harder. I'd be happy be help though if you need it. I need a B this year as I want to do it at uni next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I thought maths and physics were harder. I'd be happy be help though if you need it. I need a B this year as I want to do it at uni next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, my friend does it and he says it's not as difficult as Chem. Most people in my school chose Physics instead of Chem because it's interesting. But Chem is quite hard, because of the knowledge and content. It's hard to grasp info. And also knowing content is not enough, it has to be applied. Chem is hard. :frown: But also so intriguing. I think I learnt a lot more about the world with Chem than any of my subjects.
Reply 13
i am in A2 and resitting chem unit 1. i have barely studied for it. Unit 4 and 5 have consumed most of my time. I hate Chem so much! ugh!!
Reply 14
Original post by muf_mur
i am in A2 and resitting chem unit 1. i have barely studied for it. Unit 4 and 5 have consumed most of my time. I hate Chem so much! ugh!!

LOL, that's how everyone feels atm! I have no life :biggrin: What did u get in Unit 1 may I ask?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by theJdog
LOL, that's how everyone feels atm! I have no life :biggrin: What did u get in Unit 1 may I ask?

I got a B in unit 1 and C in unit 2.i am resitting both plus i have to give the A2 exams so...really screwed!!:frown:
Reply 16
Original post by muf_mur
I got a B in unit 1 and C in unit 2.i am resitting both plus i have to give the A2 exams so...really screwed!!:frown:

OMG SO TOUGH!!! No your not!! Never lose hope :smile: You can do it, I believe in you :smile: And why retake the B??? That's an awesome grade! Just focus on the first Chem exam, and then the second and then the third so on. Aren't A2 exams later than AS? If so focus a bit on AS and then A2. Good luck :biggrin: I'd be happy to help :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by theJdog
OMG SO TOUGH!!! No your not!! Never lose hope :smile: You can do it, I believe in you :smile: And why retake the B??? That's an awesome grade! Just focus on the first Chem exam, and then the second and then the third so on. Aren't A2 exams later than AS? If so focus a bit on AS and then A2. Good luck :biggrin: I'd be happy to help :smile:

I am retaking to improve my overall mark cause unit 4 and unit 5 is just :argh:...believe me A2 gets 10 times harder. Thanks for the support though :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by muf_mur
I am retaking to improve my overall mark cause unit 4 and unit 5 is just :argh:...believe me A2 gets 10 times harder. Thanks for the support though :smile:

Ah right. Wow, I'm dreading it :s-smilie: And you're most welcome :smile:
Any ideas what possible topics can come up IAL CHEMISTRY

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending