The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE - Kindertransport

Anyone know where I can find exemplar essays for Kindertransport also is there anyone out there studying at the moment because it seems like everyone is doing either LOTF or An Inspector Calls...

Scroll to see replies

I'm really struggling with Kindertransport too. There is so much out there for people doing inspector calls revision guides, practice questions, analysis e.t.c but barely anything for Kindertransport (there is some info if you type it into Google and you can get some books). It annoys me because only 2 classes out of the 8 classes in our year are doing Kindertransport :smile:
Original post by KaiVally
Anyone know where I can find exemplar essays for Kindertransport also is there anyone out there studying at the moment because it seems like everyone is doing either LOTF or An Inspector Calls...

Original post by VioletPhillippo
I'm really struggling with Kindertransport too. There is so much out there for people doing inspector calls revision guides, practice questions, analysis e.t.c but barely anything for Kindertransport (there is some info if you type it into Google and you can get some books). It annoys me because only 2 classes out of the 8 classes in our year are doing Kindertransport :smile:

either of you got any good resources?
Reply 3
Original post by lyricalvibe
either of you got any good resources?

Well I don't think I would be asking for exemplar essays and help for Kindertransport if I had functional resources, so it's a no on that one.
Well I don't think I would be asking for exemplar essays and help for Kindertransport if I had functional resources, so it's a no on that one.

:frown: I'm getting desperate for it now, if i can't find any good resources i'm gonna go through the book myself and analyse everything for things like symbolism structure etc..
do you want to share resources on this thread if anything good is found?

Try this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1913842
:smile:

Free candies in my van. Arriving in your street in 1 minute. :smile:

Try this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1913842
:smile:

Free candies in my van. Arriving in your street in 1 minute. :smile:

EDIT:

Try this simplified version from AQA Board itself:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4710-W-TRB-UNIT-1-KINDERTRANSPORT.PDF

Seems to be a few short themes and some background.
:frown: I'm getting desperate for it now, if i can't find any good resources i'm gonna go through the book myself and analyse everything for things like symbolism structure etc..
do you want to share resources on this thread if anything good is found?

http://www.metafortheatre.ca/downloads/studyguides/studyguide%20KINDERTRANSPORT.pdf
Reply 8

Hi, I recently had a kinder transport mock exam and if you would like to have a look at it then let me know and I will type it up. My teacher marked it as an a* (62 out of 68) but it is by no means perfect.
Original post by ami285
Hi, I recently had a kinder transport mock exam and if you would like to have a look at it then let me know and I will type it up. My teacher marked it as an a* (62 out of 68) but it is by no means perfect.

that would be awesome if it's not toon much of an ask :smile:
how you revising for it?
Reply 11
that would be awesome if it's not toon much of an ask :smile:
how you revising for it?

Hi, I will upload it as soon as I can and as soon as I work out how to. :colondollar: sorry *i'm new to this stuff*.To be honest, I think it's because I have an awesome teacher. How are you finding it? is there a particular thing you're struggling with (not that you are struggling)? If I have notes on it I shall let you know just tell me.:smile:
Original post by ami285
Hi, I will upload it as soon as I can and as soon as I work out how to. :colondollar: sorry *i'm new to this stuff*.To be honest, I think it's because I have an awesome teacher. How are you finding it? is there a particular thing you're struggling with (not that you are struggling)? If I have notes on it I shall let you know just tell me.:smile:

oh ok, thanks!
i'm finding it ok so far, i find the OMAM fairly manageable and i poetry fairly easy but this...just no.I think it's due to lack of resources and online support, also, we've read the book once and spent like 3 lessons going thorugh basic themes and context but it feels barely enough to cover a c let alone an A-what i want atleast.
thank you, and yeah, notes would be awesome :smile:
Reply 13
oh ok, thanks!
i'm finding it ok so far, i find the OMAM fairly manageable and i poetry fairly easy but this...just no.I think it's due to lack of resources and online support, also, we've read the book once and spent like 3 lessons going thorugh basic themes and context but it feels barely enough to cover a c let alone an A-what i want atleast.
thank you, and yeah, notes would be awesome :smile:

Hi, we're not doing of mice and men-my class is doing purple hibiscus and it is an amazing book by the way if you enjoy reading. I don't have my English folder with me at the moment but I will by tomorrow. I must say read the play as much as you can even if it is only 10 mins in the morning- I find that the more I read something - I find things I didn't originally realise and it will make you more confident as you will be able to find quotes much more easily. To get an a and beyond our teacher says that you have to be perceptive and insightful - basically notice small details and find meanings that others might not. this may be a obvious one but one that my teacher said was insightful was when Evelyn says that the glass is chipped and can't be fixed - you could say that she is talking about the impact that the past has had on her- she can't run away from it which explains the ratcatcher's presence throughout the play, he doesn't leave her even in the end because he is a part of her. Of course English literature is all about your personal interpretation so feel free to disagree.
Original post by ami285
Hi, we're not doing of mice and men-my class is doing purple hibiscus and it is an amazing book by the way if you enjoy reading. I don't have my English folder with me at the moment but I will by tomorrow. I must say read the play as much as you can even if it is only 10 mins in the morning- I find that the more I read something - I find things I didn't originally realise and it will make you more confident as you will be able to find quotes much more easily. To get an a and beyond our teacher says that you have to be perceptive and insightful - basically notice small details and find meanings that others might not. this may be a obvious one but one that my teacher said was insightful was when Evelyn says that the glass is chipped and can't be fixed - you could say that she is talking about the impact that the past has had on her- she can't run away from it which explains the ratcatcher's presence throughout the play, he doesn't leave her even in the end because he is a part of her. Of course English literature is all about your personal interpretation so feel free to disagree.

i might give it a read, after exams that is.yeah, that was what i was gonna try, i do that with poetry and each time i'll get another original interpretation :wink:ok, i'm gonna try and finish the book by myself today,and na, it's a good point and it's helpful for giving multiple interpretations!
what poems are you doing?how are you revising unseen?
Reply 15
i might give it a read, after exams that is.yeah, that was what i was gonna try, i do that with poetry and each time i'll get another original interpretation :wink:ok, i'm gonna try and finish the book by myself today,and na, it's a good point and it's helpful for giving multiple interpretations!
what poems are you doing?how are you revising unseen?

I've been very lazy and haven't actually started revising. I know, I know. there is this guy on youtube who has a great revision channel for poetry. I think it's mr bruff and he has a great video on the unseen poem. Just read as much poetry of different genres as you can. I'm a bit of a poetry nerd so I guess that counts as revision:smile: but seriously check out that guy on u tube
Of mice and men is a great book. I did it in 3rd year. Here is a link to York Note version of it for GCSE.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Of-Mice-Men-York-Notes/dp/1408248808

Of mice and men is a great book. It was fun to read, and what I found that was really helpful was the BBC bitesize for it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/prosemicemen/

The videos really helped. Also, the themes were easy to see. The central plot is the breaking of dreams,as in the poem, which the poem derived from. You can also see the explanation on the above bbc site.
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Written when he accidentally tipped over a mouse nest. Yes.

I am currently doing I'm the King of the Castle, by Susan HILL. Boring book. And only version of film is in french. :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by ami285

It would be absolutely awesome if you could do that, damn I hate Kindertransport..
Reply 18
It would be absolutely awesome if you could do that, damn I hate Kindertransport..

I will as soon as I can I promise. Kinder transport is a good play but it can be difficult to explain some of the themes. Are you also doing of mice and men?Because i'm doing purple hibiscus instead of of mice and men which is the section of the mock exam that I lost 5 marks on and 1 mark for spag (spelling, punctuation and grammar). My punctuation tends to be all over the place in exams.:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by ami285
I will as soon as I can I promise. Kinder transport is a good play but it can be difficult to explain some of the themes. Are you also doing of mice and men?Because i'm doing purple hibiscus instead of of mice and men which is the section of the mock exam that I lost 5 marks on and 1 mark for spag (spelling, punctuation and grammar). My punctuation tends to be all over the place in exams.:smile:

Haha yeah I'm doing OMAM which isn't good but it's not bad either, bit of a weird book if you'd ask me.
Purple Hibiscus sounds quite interesting, if it's a good book I might give it a lil read and yeah don't worry about it, my SPaG is terrible too but it tends to be the comma splice that loses me the most marks, ugh..

Quick Reply

Latest