The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Anyone else studying languages at Heriot Watt starting September 2014?

I recently received an unconditional to study French/Spanish LINT at Heriot Watt and I'm super excited! Unfortunately I don't know anybody else who is going to Heriot Watt. I was hoping to talk to a couple of people on here who are also planning on studying the same course as me or one similar? (so just anything related to languages) :smile:
Reply 1
Congrats on your unconditional! I was studying the same course last year but dropped out after 2 months. If there isn't one already there will soon be a Heriot-Watt Freshers 2014 page on Facebook and a SML page where you will be able to find people doing the same or similar course as you.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rebeccaedgar
I recently received an unconditional to study French/Spanish LINT at Heriot Watt and I'm super excited! Unfortunately I don't know anybody else who is going to Heriot Watt. I was hoping to talk to a couple of people on here who are also planning on studying the same course as me or one similar? (so just anything related to languages) :smile:

I applied for Spanish and Applied Language studies as I'm not 100% sure yet whether translating is the path I want to go down! However, I still haven't received an offer so scared I might be rejected! What makes you like Heriot Watt because I am so undecided about where I want to go!
Reply 3
Original post by rachelcee.
I applied for Spanish and Applied Language studies as I'm not 100% sure yet whether translating is the path I want to go down! However, I still haven't received an offer so scared I might be rejected! What makes you like Heriot Watt because I am so undecided about where I want to go!

Don't worry about it, I only heard back two days ago! I know that lots of people still haven't heard back from there yet. I totally understand the indecision - I received unconditionals for Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde as well as Heriot Watt. My brother keeps teasing me for choosing Heriot Watt over Glasgow (where he goes). I'm personally going to Heriot Watt because it's the only university that has the interpreting and translating course. It seems to focus a lot more on the language and how to apply it than other universities do. I went on the language tour at the open day and was shown the translating and interpreting labs, which the university recently spent £700, 000 refurbishing, modelling the interpreting labs on the European Parliament. It just seemed really cool. And the computers in the translating rooms were so modern.

The university location might not be the most ideal but I think it's a beautiful campus, and I fell in love with the course. It's a tricky decision, I hope you're happy with whatever you decide. And I hope you get accepted!
Reply 4
Original post by Nfergs
Congrats on your unconditional! I was studying the same course last year but dropped out after 2 months. If there isn't one already there will soon be a Heriot-Watt Freshers 2014 page on Facebook and a SML page where you will be able to find people doing the same or similar course as you.

Okay, thank you. That's helpful to know! :smile:
What made you drop out?
Reply 5
Okay, thank you. That's helpful to know! :smile:
What made you drop out?

It was a number of different reasons really. I don't want to put anyone off although I did struggle with the workload and didn't seem to be making any progress.
I just received my conditional offer yesterday for French/Spanish LINT, so exciting! I have had my heart set on this course and had lost all hope of getting an offer really, so you can imagine how happy I was when I got the email :smile:
I'd really like to find some people who are doing the same course, to get to know everybody a little first!
Reply 7
Original post by lilyachristine
I just received my conditional offer yesterday for French/Spanish LINT, so exciting! I have had my heart set on this course and had lost all hope of getting an offer really, so you can imagine how happy I was when I got the email :smile:
I'd really like to find some people who are doing the same course, to get to know everybody a little first!

Aw, yay so we'll be doing the exact same course. :smile: That's great! Yay well done on getting that offer!
Yeag, it'd be nice getting to know people on the same course. If you want to, feel free to message me. :smile:
Aw, yay so we'll be doing the exact same course. :smile: That's great! Yay well done on getting that offer!
Yeag, it'd be nice getting to know people on the same course. If you want to, feel free to message me. :smile:

yeah! Where is it you're from?
Reply 9
Original post by lilyachristine
yeah! Where is it you're from?

Dumfries. :smile: You?
Reply 10

Hey, well done! Is this for the Edinburgh campus? Will you be going into halls of residence? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by hmainpolly
Hey, well done! Is this for the Edinburgh campus? Will you be going into halls of residence? :smile:

Thank you! :smile: It sure is.
Yes I am. I think I'll be applying for the Robert Bryson halls.
Reply 12
I got a conditional offer for Spanish and Applied Language Studies and am pretty sure I will firm Heriot Watt! I went to the open day last week and it seemed really nice and friendly and the course seems great!
I got a conditional offer for Spanish and Applied Language Studies and am pretty sure I will firm Heriot Watt! I went to the open day last week and it seemed really nice and friendly and the course seems great!

Congrats on your offer and good luck on meeting the conditions. :smile:
Will you be staying in the halls?
Congrats on your offer and good luck on meeting the conditions. :smile:
Will you be staying in the halls?

Yes I think the Robert Bryson halls will be my first choice!
Yes I think the Robert Bryson halls will be my first choice!

That's my first choice as well! :smile:
I've got an unconditional to do French and Spanish ALT :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest