The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by l1lvink
That word limit is only for the dissertation style EPQ; what they did was a 'project' style EPQ.

I see
Reply 5021
I'm thinking I might use subtitles to separate kind of chapters in my EPQ, maybe every 1000 words or so, but not sure whether this is okay?

Thoughts on whether this is a good/bad idea?
Has anyone got any tips on what they should include in the final presentation

Like i know that it has to include "my journey so far"
But can anyone recommend anything more specific than that?
Original post by quirksy
I'm thinking I might use subtitles to separate kind of chapters in my EPQ, maybe every 1000 words or so, but not sure whether this is okay?

I would say definately. I would put a new subtitle in whenever you change the writing direction dramatically. It'll help to focus you ideas.
Reply 5024
Original post by DawnWhisker
Has anyone got any tips on what they should include in the final presentation

Like i know that it has to include "my journey so far"
But can anyone recommend anything more specific than that?

Hey :smile:

Some things I included in mine were how and why my title changed, plan development, evaluating methods I used to help me research/write (ie. Gantt diagram, research plan) and the skills I gained, things I learnt, reasons for choosing the topic etc.

How you structure it is up to you really - I broke my "journey" bit down into the different sections of my project (from initial planning to research to essay writing) but others in my year did it using a timeline and described their process.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by loua96
Hey :smile:

Some things I included in mine were how and why my title changed, plan development, evaluating methods I used to help me research/write (ie. Gantt diagram, research plan) and the skills I gained, things I learnt, reasons for choosing the topic etc.

How you structure it is up to you really - I broke my "journey" bit down into the different sections of my project (from initial planning to research to essay writing) but others in my year did it using a timeline and described their process.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it does thanks :smile:
I've seen a lot where they also describe the information in the EPQ. Mine is heavily biology related so do you think it would be a good idea to go through my EPQ
Reply 5026
Original post by DawnWhisker
Yeah it does thanks :smile:
I've seen a lot where they also describe the information in the EPQ. Mine is heavily biology related so do you think it would be a good idea to go through my EPQ

Yeah, I did that (mind's science-based too) for the first half of my presentation then did the journey bit afterwards. I went through what I was trying to find out initially, key points I made, my conclusions and weaknesses/strengths of my report. It's a good way of showing how much you've gained from it so yeah I'd say it's a good thing to do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by quirksy

I did yes. It helps with the contents page too. Do them where appropriate not for a set amount of words! (How you said it makes it sound like that's what you were going to do)
Original post by loua96
Yeah, I did that (mind's science-based too) for the first half of my presentation then did the journey bit afterwards. I went through what I was trying to find out initially, key points I made, my conclusions and weaknesses/strengths of my report. It's a good way of showing how much you've gained from it so yeah I'd say it's a good thing to do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was yours mainly Internet research based? Cos im concerned that i havent used a range of sources. Mine is about nanotechnology, so school and local libraries didnt have material worth using. Therefore 95% of my research comes from the web; do you think that would be negative?
Original post by l1lvink
Was yours mainly Internet research based? Cos im concerned that i havent used a range of sources. Mine is about nanotechnology, so school and local libraries didnt have material worth using. Therefore 95% of my research comes from the web; do you think that would be negative?

Just because you sourced them from the web doesn't mean they are internet sources! Ie research papers etc are not web sources they are journals, your source was the web skin to a library for arguments sake
Original post by Futuremedic2096
Just because you sourced them from the web doesn't mean they are internet sources! Ie research papers etc are not web sources they are journals, your source was the web skin to a library for arguments sake

Hmm, thanks, i hadnt thought of that. Will remember it as i feel it could be useful for the presentation.
Reply 5031
Original post by l1lvink

Yeah as futuremedic said, things like articles and journals are separate to just getting info from a website. Mine was about geomagnetism, so it was quite heavily based on articles but I found a few books that were useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
EPQ is only 4444 words and finished. I have no idea how to boost it up to closer to 5000.
Original post by Paparazzo
EPQ is only 4444 words and finished. I have no idea how to boost it up to closer to 5000.

That's quite an achievement (4444) you can have the 500 words I'm over by! Aha
Really don't bother, it's a guide not a set amount, if it's a detriment to your project leave it

Make sure you get it to 4500 minimum. The word limit is 5000+-500, eg the minimum is 4500 and max is 5500. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everywhere you have a "won't" put "would not", and the same with other words.

Easy way to get more words. :P
Original post by Jaydude
Make sure you get it to 4500 minimum. The word limit is 5000+-500, eg the minimum is 4500 and max is 5500. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Praise The Lord I'm in the limit
Reply 5037
Just wondering whether anyone is still writing theirs and how its going. I'm doing the 5000 word academic essay for mine
Original post by Rose233
Just wondering whether anyone is still writing theirs and how its going. I'm doing the 5000 word academic essay for mine

Im still in the process of finishing writing it; got 2 more days eek!
Reply 5039
Original post by l1lvink
Im still in the process of finishing writing it; got 2 more days eek!

Oh no! Are you nearly finished? What's your subject?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending